TeaVendor spotting on TeaChat

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 22nd, '13, 12:36
Scrolling: scrolling

TeaVendor spotting on TeaChat

by Chip » Sep 22nd, '13, 12:36

[Please note, this topic will be posted throughout the forum for maximum exposure. All the topics will be locked, but one. One of these topics will be open for discussion and will be located in the first forum of TeaChat, TeaChat Announcements and User Guide]

It has always been "proper" for members to post about vendors they use and have no affiliation.

However, anyone who has been around the forum for a while will know that historically TeaChat membership has had an aversion to vendors spamming their beloved TeaChat. However this has not stopped vendors from spamming the forum.

Often spam was guised in the form of false testimonials and the like. Sometimes it was a brazen first post (or 20 first day posts) proclamation with total disregard of the forum's clearly stated rules. I often wondered how a vendor could be so idiotic to think that a forum that is NOT completely and utterly plagued by advertising (in fact is completely devoid of advertising***) could be virgin territory ripe for their ad campaign, like a forum that no other vendor has yet discovered.

The no spam rule was not my creation, I simply wrote the generally unanimous wishes of members, TeaChat would be a spam-free zone ... an oasis from the www of advertising we are all constantly bombarded with as soon as we leave TeaChat.

There is a place for advertising, but TeaChat was simply not the place. This rule was strictly enforced for a number of years with countless bannings and post deletions. The worst offenders would sometimes receive "special enduring treatment" that would be left as a warning to the offender and others as well, a metaphorical of skull and crossbones with "stay out" written beneath. :twisted:

You know it is truly amazing just how many people are trying to make a buck out of tea, many honestly and others unscrupulously :!: :idea: :arrow: This is generally not bad per se, but many of the attempts have been an affront to our love of the TeaLeaf and accompanying Teaware not to mention our sensibilities. :evil:

***The obvious exception is Adagio, the owner of TeaChat. However even they must follow the forum rules outside of the banner and the Adagio category.

Sep 22nd, '13, 12:39

Re: TeaVendor spotting on TeaChat

by Chip » Sep 22nd, '13, 12:39

And TeaChat has evolved over the years, creating locations where member vendors meeting certain criteria could post a topic promoting their business. TeawareArtisans was created to promote Teaware Artisans and has become a great asset of the forum. And TeaMerchants, well I am still waiting to see what happens with this one.

Relatively recently, identifying our "vendor members" has been requested on the forum. This sounds like an excellent idea, but it requires a good deal of backtracking and trying to figure out who is a vendor especially when they have layed low for so long, mostly out of respect for the forum.

But the time has come for vendor members to have a tag such as the one that was added to TeadOff. The tag simply identifies to member as a vendor member. The tag is located under their name/avatar. Of course, vendors can still add their www to their profile, and there will then be a clickable www icon in each of their posts and in their profile.

I would request any member who sells tea, teaware, etc. to contact me via email at teachat@adagio.com or PM me. Also, members are encouraged to point out vendor members which will then be verified before tagging.

This will be a process, so please be patient.

Sep 22nd, '13, 12:46

Re: TeaVendor spotting on TeaChat

by Chip » Sep 22nd, '13, 12:46

While this may provide insight into a member's perspective, this will not not be universally so. It will be up to the reader to attempt to discern from this added piece of information.

I would venture a guess that some member vendors will at times be able to separate their thinking from the business POV. Other times not.

So, this will not simply be a black and white scenario.

Please remember to visit the discussion topic under TeaChat Announcements and User Guide!