What do you think of hojicha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 17th, '14, 15:40

Re: What do you think of hojicha?

by MacGuffin » Apr 17th, '14, 15:40

gunbuster363 wrote: As a 'brown' tea it does not compare to sheng Pu-Erh ( I know, hojicha is cheaper, but what if money is not a problem or you have your own stock of sheng Pu-Erh? )
The color's brown but hojicha is a green tea. You can't compare it to puerh. Anyhow, I like hojicha, especially if it's from karigane.

Apr 17th, '14, 15:45

by MacGuffin » Apr 17th, '14, 15:45

rdl wrote:I agree on the kuki-houjicha, I had the hibiki-an selection as my first (karigane) kuki-houjicha and thought it great. I will try your 70 degree brewing but I thought that closer to boiling is best for the leaves and twigs that make up bancha, which need that hotter water to bring out the flavors.
One of the things I like about the toasty greens like hojicha and kyobancha is that you can brew the hell out of them and they don't go bitter. I'm a cold tea fan and rather than brew these cold (which works well for almost everything), I use boiling water and then stick the whole mess in the fridge overnight. I get great results. Very hot water is the way to go with hojis, I think, unless the vendor tells you otherwise.

Apr 19th, '14, 03:21

by Alex » Apr 19th, '14, 03:21

Really don't like Hojicha. But that's more to do with whatever I'm drinking I'll always prefer sencha over it. :mrgreen:

Apr 19th, '14, 03:27
Vendor Member

What do you think of hojicha?

by blairswhitaker » Apr 19th, '14, 03:27

In japan (well Kyoto at least) the notion seems to be Sencha and gyokuro for enjoyment, Hojicha and other Bancha for when you are thirsty or need a drink to accompany food.

+ Post Reply