Shiboridash brewing help

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 22nd, '15, 11:12

Shiboridash brewing help

by Balthazar » Jun 22nd, '15, 11:12

I recently (2-3 months ago) acquired a shiboridash from O-cha (its this one), and while I'm loving its looks, size and feel, I'm finding it more difficult to get good results with than my kyusus.

It's significantly smaller, and I've tried to reduce the amount of leaf accordingly. I sometimes get satisfying results, but it's not very consistent, and I'm not sure why. I think it might, partly, be the pouring. I'm finding it hard to empty it completely, it's like the leaf blocks some of the water, so I have to keep adjusting the lid from one side to the other to get it all out. This leads to a longer steeping time (and a semi-annoyed brewer, which of course also affects how I taste the tea). I'm not using it for deep steamed teas, by the way, only gyokuro and asamushi teas so far.

Probably mostly a technical issue on my part, although I haven't had this problem with gaiwans. Any suggestions for a shiboridash-newbie aside from "practice, practice, practice"?

Jun 22nd, '15, 11:43
Vendor Member

Re: Shiboridash brewing help

by Xell » Jun 22nd, '15, 11:43

Certainly not easy to use, especially completely flat, without any drainage scratches (forgot proper word for it :)). Pouring will be quite a bit longer than kyusu no matter what, so only choice is to adjust your brewing time. Try to keep same opening between lid and shiboridashi all the time, this will help to guess brewing time. Another thing to consider is small amount of water and large surface area of shiboridashi, temperature is more difficult to control.

Using shiboridashi quite some time now, i'm fine even with fukamushi teas. It's nice to see tea during brewing and really easy to clean.

Jun 22nd, '15, 14:00

by Tead Off » Jun 22nd, '15, 14:00

The flatter types are more versatile for adjusting the lid while you are pouring. When you feel the pour dwindle, you can literally squeeze the lid into the tea with your finger(s) to separate the water from the leaves while pouring. Funny, that the translation for shiboridashi is 'squeeze out' which perfectly describes what I just wrote. I always wondered what this translation meant. :lol:

Jun 23rd, '15, 01:08

by NateHevens » Jun 23rd, '15, 01:08

I actually want to ask a very similar question.

I just got my hands on the Yakishimei Shiboridash Teapot Set from Ocha, as well as the Uji Gyokuro Yume no Ukihashi from them. I did my first infusion using the directions Ocha has posted for brewing Gyokuro. I'm wondering what y'all think of those directions and... also... they say it can take second and third infusions... at what water temperature (in Fahrenheit)?

Also, I have a variable temperature electric tea kettle, so I can brew water to 140 degrees F if I want to. Does that make a difference, or should I still brew it hotter and warm up the teaset?

Jun 23rd, '15, 02:12

by Tead Off » Jun 23rd, '15, 02:12

Most people say to bring to a boil, then cool down. Quality of water is important. 140F is good.

For good quality gyokuro, I use no more than 5g in a 70ml flat shibo. I usually brew for 90sec. Time can always be adjusted depending on the tea. With cooler water, you can brew longer. You have to experiment. Gyokuro is meant to be drunk in small doses. 140-180ml pots are really too big, but then again, who made the rules?!

Very fine senchas and handmade temomicha often use 3g per 70ml.

Jun 23rd, '15, 05:16
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jun 23rd, '15, 05:16

NateHevens wrote:I actually want to ask a very similar question.

I just got my hands on the Yakishimei Shiboridash Teapot Set from Ocha, as well as the Uji Gyokuro Yume no Ukihashi from them. I did my first infusion using the directions Ocha has posted for brewing Gyokuro. I'm wondering what y'all think of those directions and... also... they say it can take second and third infusions... at what water temperature (in Fahrenheit)?

Also, I have a variable temperature electric tea kettle, so I can brew water to 140 degrees F if I want to. Does that make a difference, or should I still brew it hotter and warm up the teaset?
With shiboridashi i found that i get consistently better first infusion if i preheat with water near boiling point, fill to the brim and then discard part of it. This is also one of reasons why it's good to start with higher temperature, you can preheat teacup and shibo/kyusu. I also tried to set my teapot to lower temp, but it became more difficult to get good result.

Jun 23rd, '15, 07:09

by GreenwoodStudio » Jun 23rd, '15, 07:09

Someone (I think it was Chip) in one of the kyusu or green tea threads talked about a pouring technique that I've carried over to brewing with a Shib. That is to not tilt the pot directly toward to spout initially, but to sort of tilt it towards yourself slightly while pouring, allowing the leaf to settle on the side of the pot instead of right in front of the spout. Then as the leaf settles there and the tea level falls in the pot you can redirect the pour/tilt directly toward the spout. It works just as well for shibs as it does for kyusu or other pots in keeping the leaf from clogging and trapping the tea in the bottom of the pot :)

Jun 23rd, '15, 07:30

by Tead Off » Jun 23rd, '15, 07:30

I'm not sure that is going to work with flatter shiboridashi. I found that by controlling the lid with your fingers, you can direct the leaves where you want and essentially 'squeez out' the liquid. With taller shibs, it will not work.

Jun 23rd, '15, 07:56

Shiboridash brewing help

by Pig Hog » Jun 23rd, '15, 07:56

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Someone (I think it was Chip) in one of the kyusu or green tea threads talked about a pouring technique that I've carried over to brewing with a Shib. That is to not tilt the pot directly toward to spout initially, but to sort of tilt it towards yourself slightly while pouring, allowing the leaf to settle on the side of the pot instead of right in front of the spout. Then as the leaf settles there and the tea level falls in the pot you can redirect the pour/tilt directly toward the spout. It works just as well for shibs as it does for kyusu or other pots in keeping the leaf from clogging and trapping the tea in the bottom of the pot :)
Not read the original post but I'll by trying this out! Makes a lot of sense.

Jun 23rd, '15, 12:25

by Balthazar » Jun 23rd, '15, 12:25

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'm going to try out a few different things. My shiboridashi is definitely of the flatter type, so the squeezing technique is intriguing.

Jun 23rd, '15, 14:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 23rd, '15, 14:26

Pig Hog wrote:
GreenwoodStudio wrote:Someone (I think it was Chip) in one of the kyusu or green tea threads talked about a pouring technique that I've carried over to brewing with a Shib. That is to not tilt the pot directly toward to spout initially, but to sort of tilt it towards yourself slightly while pouring, allowing the leaf to settle on the side of the pot instead of right in front of the spout. Then as the leaf settles there and the tea level falls in the pot you can redirect the pour/tilt directly toward the spout. It works just as well for shibs as it does for kyusu or other pots in keeping the leaf from clogging and trapping the tea in the bottom of the pot :)
Not read the original post but I'll by trying this out! Makes a lot of sense.
Yeah, I do this virtually everytime I brew a Japanese tea ... a reliable habit.

As TO mentioned, it might not be as effective as the shib becomes flatter and flatter. But I have used it effectively for many brewing vessels including shibs.

Jun 23rd, '15, 16:56

by NateHevens » Jun 23rd, '15, 16:56

Tead Off wrote:Most people say to bring to a boil, then cool down. Quality of water is important. 140F is good.

For good quality gyokuro, I use no more than 5g in a 70ml flat shibo. I usually brew for 90sec. Time can always be adjusted depending on the tea. With cooler water, you can brew longer. You have to experiment. Gyokuro is meant to be drunk in small doses. 140-180ml pots are really too big, but then again, who made the rules?!

Very fine senchas and handmade temomicha often use 3g per 70ml.
I live on Long Island in New York, and we still filter our water. I honestly do not believe in bottled water. I realize that quality matters, but I also think that bottling water is criminal. I mean... it's water.

For the particular Gyokuro I currently have, I use about 1.2g of leaf per 30ml of water, and that shiboridash I got holds about 140ml of water.

Based on Ocha's directions, I heat my water to 194F, then warm up the teapot, then the water cooler, then the two cups. Supposedly, the water should be down to about 140F by then. And yes, I'll let the water cool for 5 minutes or more in total.

Thing is, though, my Gyokuro still comes out... I mean, it's good. That brothy mouthfeel you expect from a good Gyokuro is there and wonderful. It's such a good cup. But there's a mild astringency there as well that, because I'm sensitive to bitter (I can't drink beer at all, or wine, and need to load up any coffee I drink with cream and sugar), stands out. It's not annoying, but it'd be nice if it wasn't there.

Though yes, green teas are my favorite because I discovered how to brew them properly to all but eliminate that astringency... for the most part... and the flavors that come out are phenomenal.

+ Post Reply