Tencha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 10th, '15, 13:39

Tencha?

by NateHevens » Jul 10th, '15, 13:39

So! I've had matcha. Great matcha, in fact. A year ago, I got to experience the matcha ceremony (a friend came in from Japan to visit and brought an amazing matcha with her... she was studying as a tea master... I forget which school).

I'm curious about tencha, though. I'd love to try it steeped. Has anyone else ever tried it? Where could I get it?

Jul 10th, '15, 16:06
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Tencha?

by Drax » Jul 10th, '15, 16:06

I have not tried it, but Yunomi sells tencha (and MUCH cheaper than that Rare Tea Cellar place). You might have a look here:

https://yunomi.us/shelf/green-tea/tencha-green-tea/

They also sell hand mills to grind the tencha into matcha. Maybe one of these days if I have $700-$1000 to burn, I'll get one of those.... :lol:

Jul 10th, '15, 23:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 10th, '15, 23:02

IMHO, you are better off simply buying good or great gyokuro. Tencha is flakes and wants to float, not brew. Gyokuro is rolled and sinks and brews more cooperatively.

Having said that, by all means, give it a try.

Jul 11th, '15, 06:35

by JRS22 » Jul 11th, '15, 06:35

For an inexpensive taste of tencha you can try Tencha-Kuki Houjicha from Den's or this https://www.harney.com/tencha.html .

Then spend your savings on gyokuro!

Jul 13th, '15, 06:08

by Daniel_Green_Minded » Jul 13th, '15, 06:08

I've just tried Tencha karigane given free from hibiki-an. It was nice, very subtle tasting compared other Japanese greens however it was very sweet and mellow with slight nuttyness to it (due to it being roasted).

They supplied it in a bad whiched looked like a pinnacle tea however it has no grade as it is not actually sold on the website. I believe it was around an ounce they supplied?!

Jul 16th, '15, 11:27

by purringtons » Jul 16th, '15, 11:27

Daniel_Green_Minded wrote:I've just tried Tencha karigane given free from hibiki-an. It was nice, very subtle tasting compared other Japanese greens however it was very sweet and mellow with slight nuttyness to it (due to it being roasted).

They supplied it in a bad whiched looked like a pinnacle tea however it has no grade as it is not actually sold on the website. I believe it was around an ounce they supplied?!
I received the free tencha karigane too! Did you brew it like gyokuro like they say you should?

Jul 19th, '15, 18:29

by Daniel_Green_Minded » Jul 19th, '15, 18:29

I think so... Around 1tbsp to 100ml water. I think I discovered I needed slightly higher temperatures than I'd use for gyo. I also stirred the tencha in the kyusu to make sure they were all submereged

Jul 21st, '15, 03:30

by NateHevens » Jul 21st, '15, 03:30

It's kind of a relief to see that I'm not alone in wanting to try tencha. Others have tried it and enjoyed it, even! Maybe this could be the Suggestions for Buying/Brewing Tencha topic?

If there's enough interest to keep it going, that is...

When I do finally get my hands on some (today was a terrible day for news in terms of my finances), I'll need the suggestions... :P

+ Post Reply