gyokuro recommendation?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 18th, '15, 12:32

gyokuro recommendation?

by kyarazen » Dec 18th, '15, 12:32

can anyone recommend me a nice gyokuro and reasonably priced gyokuro?

need it as a breakfast drink, something as umami as possible.. no requirement on the aromatic aspect.. :D

Dec 18th, '15, 13:17
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: gyokuro recommendation?

by William » Dec 18th, '15, 13:17

I particularly like Asahina Gyokuro from Akira!

Dec 18th, '15, 15:33

by GeorgeGR » Dec 18th, '15, 15:33

I've been drinking Gyoku-Hou from O-cha.com lately and I've been very happy with it. It's been a while, but I also had a good experience with Hibiki-an's gyokuro premium.

Dec 18th, '15, 23:21

by Tead Off » Dec 18th, '15, 23:21

kyarazen wrote:can anyone recommend me a nice gyokuro and reasonably priced gyokuro?

need it as a breakfast drink, something as umami as possible.. no requirement on the aromatic aspect.. :D
Gyokuro Super Premium from Matabay.

I've had this one and recommend 5g/60ml/50c/120 sec.
If I ordered from them again, I would try the Pinnacle. I found their customer service very poor, though. But their tea is good.

Dec 19th, '15, 21:48

by GeorgeGR » Dec 19th, '15, 21:48

Tead Off wrote:
kyarazen wrote:can anyone recommend me a nice gyokuro and reasonably priced gyokuro?

Gyokuro Super Premium from Matabay.

I've had this one and recommend 5g/60ml/50c/120 sec.
If I ordered from them again, I would try the Pinnacle. I found their customer service very poor, though. But their tea is good.
I've noticed that their tea grades and information resemble Hibiki-an. I wonder if the two are affiliated in some way.

Dec 19th, '15, 22:35

by CWarren » Dec 19th, '15, 22:35

EDITED
Last edited by CWarren on Feb 27th, '16, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 20th, '15, 09:27

gyokuro recommendation?

by PAQF » Dec 20th, '15, 09:27

Another recommendation: matsu-no-midori from Horaido. The price to quality ratio is good and can be a nice everyday gyokuro.
If a remember correctly you can use SAL so the shipping cost are quite reasonable.

Jun 4th, '16, 05:17

by Tead Off » Jun 4th, '16, 05:17

William wrote:I particularly like Asahina Gyokuro from Akira!
Just got around to trying this from Hojo. It's a very good tea.

Jun 4th, '16, 07:53

by William » Jun 4th, '16, 07:53

Tead Off wrote:
William wrote:I particularly like Asahina Gyokuro from Akira!
Just got around to trying this from Hojo. It's a very good tea.
I periodically buy the small bag along with every order .. I simply love this gyokuro.

Jun 4th, '16, 14:14

by pedant » Jun 4th, '16, 14:14

darn, and i just ordered some stuff from him a couple of days ago.

i'll try it next time i guess.

Jun 7th, '16, 01:41

by Tead Off » Jun 7th, '16, 01:41

I've also tried Hojo's Hon Yama Hebizuka gyokuro. This is a slightly more astringent tea than the Asahina and packs very good cha qi, but it's overall flavor and smoothness is perhaps slightly less appealing to me than the Asahina that he offers. Still, a good tea and worth drinking.

On a side note, I found the Hon Yama Hebizuka sencha to be excellent. One of the best senchas I've had in recent memory.

Jun 7th, '16, 07:45

by William » Jun 7th, '16, 07:45

Tead Off wrote:I've also tried Hojo's Hon Yama Hebizuka gyokuro. This is a slightly more astringent tea than the Asahina and packs very good cha qi, but it's overall flavor and smoothness is perhaps slightly less appealing to me than the Asahina that he offers. Still, a good tea and worth drinking.

On a side note, I found the Hon Yama Hebizuka sencha to be excellent. One of the best senchas I've had in recent memory.
I forgot to order Hon Yama in my last order .. that is another tea I love to drink regularly! If you didn't, try the next time a tea called Gushu Yinzhen sold by Hojo-san. This tea in particular is one of the cheapest yet one of the most interesting, long lasting and ethereal tea I have ever had. In case you like Dan Cong, try his offerings .. they are not cheap, but once tried, you will not live anymore without at least having few cups every month.

Jun 7th, '16, 11:07

by Tead Off » Jun 7th, '16, 11:07

William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:I've also tried Hojo's Hon Yama Hebizuka gyokuro. This is a slightly more astringent tea than the Asahina and packs very good cha qi, but it's overall flavor and smoothness is perhaps slightly less appealing to me than the Asahina that he offers. Still, a good tea and worth drinking.

I forgot to order Hon Yama in my last order .. that is another tea I love to drink regularly! If you didn't, try the next time a tea called Gushu Yinzhen sold by Hojo-san. This tea in particular is one of the cheapest yet one of the most interesting, long lasting and ethereal tea I have ever had. In case you like Dan Cong, try his offerings .. they are not cheap, but once tried, you will not live anymore without at least having few cups every month.
Will keep it in mind. :)

+ Post Reply