May 15th, '16, 17:04

Found "One Pot To Rule Them All" -> At Least For Myself

by beforewisdom » May 15th, '16, 17:04

There is a Japanese tea house about 45 minutes away from me that I've gone to a lot.

They use this tea pot and other similar models. I've had both gyokuro and sencha from it many times and both have always been wonderful.

I was concerned about the leaves having room to spread out and not being full immersed in the water.

However this teapot is less wide and taller, doing the same job, just vertically It holds only about 1.5 cups and when I've put 1 cup in it is about 2/3 full so the leaves are well immersed in the water and spread out in the basket.

The basket makes it much more easy to clean and the glass exterior is very aesthetically pleasing. The lighting hits it in such a way that makes the green in sencha come out more.

May 19th, '16, 13:17

Re: Found "One Pot To Rule Them All" -> At Least For Myself

by daidokorocha » May 19th, '16, 13:17

I saw your pot I believe in the "What Green are you Currently Drinking" thread. The tea looked scrumptious. I recently got a 24oz/700 ml glass pot from Hario with an absolutely massive basket. This pleased me, as I don't love baskets but this one works well so it is as if there is no basket in reality. Glass pots are very nice aesthetically and they are also versatile because you can use them as chahai for gongfu. I do not really like to brew most things bulk brew and I typically always gongfu or brew in my shiboridashi; however, when I make konacha, aracha, genmaicha, etc. a large pot really comes in handy--not to mention one with a basket!--as it typically will not be just for me. Yours, of course, is not as large as mine and thus works well as a replacement for shiboridashi and kyusu.

May 21st, '16, 21:46

by beforewisdom » May 21st, '16, 21:46

daidokorocha wrote:I saw your pot I believe in the "What Green are you Currently Drinking" thread. The tea looked scrumptious. I recently got a 24oz/700 ml glass pot from Hario with an absolutely massive basket.
Would you mind posting a link? I'd be interested in checking it out. Thank you.,

May 22nd, '16, 22:12

by daidokorocha » May 22nd, '16, 22:12

beforewisdom wrote:
daidokorocha wrote:I saw your pot I believe in the "What Green are you Currently Drinking" thread. The tea looked scrumptious. I recently got a 24oz/700 ml glass pot from Hario with an absolutely massive basket.
Would you mind posting a link? I'd be interested in checking it out. Thank you.,
http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Chacha-Kyus ... 4DA1WRP3YA

This is the one I got. Even at a heaping tablespoon of rolled oolong the leaves were able to expand fully in the basket. Alternatively, one can brew the leaves in the pot and just pour through the basket, as it is of course big enough to catch all leaves fully expanded. Brews fukamushi, bancha, genmaicha, well any Japanese tea I suppose very well as well.

You can check out their site below. They have a lot of sizes and types, such as the spring filter in the spout and different basket shapes. Japanese teapots are usually very good at giving you basket space when they use baskets.

http://www.hario.jp/seihin/productlist.php?bigclass=2

I have found the pot so far to be very good quality and very durable despite my bumping it against everything all the time. It keeps the tea very warm for quite some time as well, even when there is only a little in the pot, provided the lid is on.

May 24th, '16, 11:35

by beforewisdom » May 24th, '16, 11:35

Thank you!
daidokorocha wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Chacha-Kyus ... 4DA1WRP3YA

This is the one I got. Even at a heaping tablespoon of rolled oolong the leaves were able to expand fully in the basket. Alternatively, one can brew the leaves in the pot and just pour through the basket, as it is of course big enough to catch all leaves fully expanded. Brews fukamushi, bancha, genmaicha, well any Japanese tea I suppose very well as well.

You can check out their site below. They have a lot of sizes and types, such as the spring filter in the spout and different basket shapes. Japanese teapots are usually very good at giving you basket space when they use baskets.

I have found the pot so far to be very good quality and very durable despite my bumping it against everything all the time. It keeps the tea very warm for quite some time as well, even when there is only a little in the pot, provided the lid is on.

May 24th, '16, 11:39

by beforewisdom » May 24th, '16, 11:39

[quote="daidokorocha"

[/quote]

Interesting comment about basket size. Maybe the American made pot manufacturers just buy standard tea baskets.....I've noticed that most seem to be similar in size.

I know it is silly, but one thing I like about my current glass pot is that it refracts light in such a way to make the liquid from Japanese greens look even greener. What has been your experience with this pot?

May 24th, '16, 12:21

by daidokorocha » May 24th, '16, 12:21

beforewisdom wrote:
Interesting comment about basket size. Maybe the American made pot manufacturers just buy standard tea baskets.....I've noticed that most seem to be similar in size.

I know it is silly, but one thing I like about my current glass pot is that it refracts light in such a way to make the liquid from Japanese greens look even greener. What has been your experience with this pot?
That is not silly at all. Aesthetics are very important when it comes to a pot. I will make some and pay more attention so I can let you know.

As for the basket thing, I suspect it is partially because of how much Japanese tea leaves expand. If you put a lot of standard tea people (the typical casual tea drinker) drink in America in the same space, you won't have too much of a problem. But watching Japanese tea leaves expand over the multiple steeps in a small basket can be downright scary. :mrgreen: Korean-sold ones in the States tend to have decently sized baskets too and I notice them continuing to grow dramatically in size over the years.

Jun 13th, '16, 12:59

by Groucho » Jun 13th, '16, 12:59

How fragile are these glass kyusas? Are they more fragile than a porcelain gaiwan?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jun 14th, '16, 13:15

by daidokorocha » Jun 14th, '16, 13:15

Before, I asked my fiancee and she sure seems to think it makes it greener.

Groucho, the pot I bought is very sturdy. I've banged it against a billion things accidentally and it appears to be very solid.

Jun 14th, '16, 15:08

by JRS22 » Jun 14th, '16, 15:08

I purchased a glass tea pot from Upton Tea for preparing rooibos. It doesn't matter that the basket isn't huge because rooibos is dense like coffee grounds. Two things I like about my pot: there's a spiral filter in the spout so I can use it without the basket to prepare Chinese greens in larger quantities than my other pots can handle, and there's a silicone band around the opening that holds the lid tight so I don't need to remove the basket or lid to pour tea.
Attachments
image.gif
image.gif (13.16 KiB) Viewed 3273 times

Jul 1st, '16, 09:43

by beforewisdom » Jul 1st, '16, 09:43

Groucho wrote:How fragile are these glass kyusas? Are they more fragile than a porcelain gaiwan?

I assume by kyusas you meant teapot?

I haven't dropped mine, but it seems about as durable as any glassware, maybe a bit more. It has survived unscathed in my work kitchen's dish rack.

Jul 1st, '16, 13:21

by Groucho » Jul 1st, '16, 13:21

Yes. The Hario models linked to in post #4 are called kyusas by Hario.

Jul 9th, '16, 04:57
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Jul 9th, '16, 04:57

Overall a good teapot, but probably not ideal for deep steamed green tea, however.

+ Post Reply