Teaware recommendations for green tea?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 20th, '16, 22:45

Teaware recommendations for green tea?

by beforewisdom » Jun 20th, '16, 22:45

I love good sencha. I especially love the different tastes of multiple steepings.

However, I have to admit I can't handle 3-4 cups a day.

The tea I have been using recommends 4.8 grams of leaves per 8 ounces of water.

Today I experimented with a third of that amount of leaves in about 1/3 of the water, so I could have my 3 steepings, but not be overwhelmed by the tea.

I noticed the color was not as dark green. Has anyone else noticed that with smaller portions of leaves and smaller portions of water?

I have a very nice small glass teapot, but it used a vertical tea basket. Works great for 1 or more cups, but for 1/3 -1/2 cup not many of the leaves get exposed.

Can anyone recommend a small glass teapot, also with a removable basket, but where the basket is wide, spreading out along the bottom of the pot?

Thanks!

Jun 21st, '16, 03:39

Re: Teaware recommendations for green tea?

by Bok » Jun 21st, '16, 03:39

beforewisdom wrote:I love good sencha. I especially love the different tastes of multiple steepings.

However, I have to admit I can't handle 3-4 cups a day.

The tea I have been using recommends 4.8 grams of leaves per 8 ounces of water.

Today I experimented with a third of that amount of leaves in about 1/3 of the water, so I could have my 3 steepings, but not be overwhelmed by the tea.

I noticed the color was not as dark green. Has anyone else noticed that with smaller portions of leaves and smaller portions of water?

I have a very nice small glass teapot, but it used a vertical tea basket. Works great for 1 or more cups, but for 1/3 -1/2 cup not many of the leaves get exposed.

Can anyone recommend a small glass teapot, also with a removable basket, but where the basket is wide, spreading out along the bottom of the pot?

Thanks!
How about instead of a basket to have a mesh at the spout? Or those – do not know what they are properly called – iron brushes which are inserted in English teapots sometimes? Or just use a syphoon when pouring into the cup?

The only teapot which I have ever encountered which has an acceptable basket is the MONO Teapot:
http://www.cookplanet.com/media/catalog ... -44444.png
There exit different sizes and configurations, but overall quite a good pot, downside it is rather large, even in the smallest size.

Jun 21st, '16, 03:42

by Bok » Jun 21st, '16, 03:42

Ha, found it, it’s called an insert teeth trainer (?)
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bell ... -strainer/

Jun 21st, '16, 09:42

by TORamarn » Jun 21st, '16, 09:42

beforewisdom wrote:I love good sencha. I especially love the different tastes of multiple steepings.

Or you can use disposable tea bags.

Jun 21st, '16, 11:28

by JRS22 » Jun 21st, '16, 11:28

Have you contsidered a tokoname kyusu or a small shiboradashi, both of which are designed for japanese greens? I can't drink large quantities of tea and I find my Japanese greens brew very well in small pots. Even if you buy a pot that's twice as large as your desired amount since the tea will be floating freely and the filter will be designed for Japanese greens you should get good results.

Jun 21st, '16, 20:05

by bilochun » Jun 21st, '16, 20:05

JRS22 wrote:Have you contsidered a tokoname kyusu or a small shiboradashi, both of which are designed for japanese greens? I can't drink large quantities of tea and I find my Japanese greens brew very well in small pots. Even if you buy a pot that's twice as large as your desired amount since the tea will be floating freely and the filter will be designed for Japanese greens you should get good results.
agreed. i've been using a hohin for the past couple weeks and have been very pleased with the results for both chinese and japanese greens

Jun 22nd, '16, 00:00

by Bok » Jun 22nd, '16, 00:00

TORamarn wrote:
Even in the larger disposable tea bags, the leaves won’t have enough space to expand.
Not even speaking of the unpleasant flavours the tea picks up from the bags (very slightly, but still noticeable to my taste buds).

Jun 22nd, '16, 00:01

by Bok » Jun 22nd, '16, 00:01

TORamarn wrote:
Even in the larger disposable tea bags, the leaves won’t have enough space to expand.
Not even speaking of the unpleasant flavours the tea picks up from the bags (very slightly, but still noticeable to my taste buds).

Jun 22nd, '16, 09:34

by Psyck » Jun 22nd, '16, 09:34

Using a regular tea strainer (as Bok suggested) while pouring into the cup from the pot should be the simplest option - that way you can shop from a large variety of small glass teapots.
Last edited by Psyck on Jun 22nd, '16, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 22nd, '16, 10:54

by beforewisdom » Jun 22nd, '16, 10:54

JRS22 wrote:Have you contsidered a tokoname kyusu or a small shiboradashi, both of which are designed for japanese greens? I can't drink large quantities of tea and I find my Japanese greens brew very well in small pots. Even if you buy a pot that's twice as large as your desired amount since the tea will be floating freely and the filter will be designed for Japanese greens you should get good results.
I'm not sure what those things are.

I have an old, small, clay pot I bought from O-cha. It barely holds 8 ounces, is built to spread the tea out along the bottom, and has an unremovable filter. The tea is coming out yellow when I am only using 1.6g per 1/3 cup water. Second steeping it comes out slightly greener. Maybe I need more water as the taste is very strong.

Jun 27th, '16, 20:56

by daidokorocha » Jun 27th, '16, 20:56

I am here to very much recommend a shiboridashi You were asking about cleaning strainers, but shiboridashi (usually) has no strainer. It is more like a gaiwan in this respect. I personally recommend one that is held more like a standard kyusu (first picture below), but these might be difficult to find in comparison to more standard versions (second picture). Overall, they are very versatile, really easy for clean-up, and offer the user a great deal of control.

http://roundrobin.jp/blog/wp-content/uploads/2.jpg

http://assiston.jp/photo/2490_67.jpg?c2a321

Edit: As for a small glass teapot, I still stand by the Hario tea pot I linked in another thread. That one was not small whatsoever, but on their site I do believe they have them that go down to much smaller sizes. Again, they feature wide, low baskets and are REALLY easy to clean in comparison to many other baskets I have had.

+ Post Reply