Green Tea General Questions

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 9th, '16, 00:54

Re: Green Tea General Questions

by debunix » Oct 9th, '16, 00:54

This is how I've done it: practice, practice, practice, with timer and thermometer and scale, and when I'm really comfortable, I start loosening the training wheels. When things feel too wobbly, back to the more 'technical' brewing for a bit, including searching old posts here for how I brewed a particular tea.

Today I got a small order from O-Cha, more of the organic Kamairi Tamaryokucha that is so fine when cold-brewed, and a treat of the Tsuen Aoi sencha to enjoy when I've finished the present package of Den's organic sencha.

I definitely need to start tomorrow with some sencha, because yesterday I was on Facetime with a friend in Tokyo, as he walked us around a tea event in Asakusa--apparently a venue for 'single origin' small tea producers to introduce their teas to the public. He's coming to visit in a couple of weeks, and likely a few samples from the show will make their way into his luggage. I need to find out if this is an annual or every-other-year event, so I can plan my next trip to visit him there!

Oct 9th, '16, 01:17
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 9th, '16, 01:17

debunix wrote:This is how I've done it: practice, practice, practice, with timer and thermometer and scale, and when I'm really comfortable, I start loosening the training wheels. When things feel too wobbly, back to the more 'technical' brewing for a bit, including searching old posts here for how I brewed a particular tea.

Today I got a small order from O-Cha, more of the organic Kamairi Tamaryokucha that is so fine when cold-brewed, and a treat of the Tsuen Aoi sencha to enjoy when I've finished the present package of Den's organic sencha.

I definitely need to start tomorrow with some sencha, because yesterday I was on Facetime with a friend in Tokyo, as he walked us around a tea event in Asakusa--apparently a venue for 'single origin' small tea producers to introduce their teas to the public. He's coming to visit in a couple of weeks, and likely a few samples from the show will make their way into his luggage. I need to find out if this is an annual or every-other-year event, so I can plan my next trip to visit him there!
Lucky you! I bet you'll get some great tea from your friend!

Oct 9th, '16, 02:20

by debunix » Oct 9th, '16, 02:20

jayinhk wrote:
debunix wrote:This is how I've done it: practice, practice, practice, with timer and thermometer and scale, and when I'm really comfortable, I start loosening the training wheels. When things feel too wobbly, back to the more 'technical' brewing for a bit, including searching old posts here for how I brewed a particular tea.

He's a coffee drinker, so it will really be quite random!

Oct 9th, '16, 02:25

by VelociTea » Oct 9th, '16, 02:25

debunix wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

That sounds great! I wish my friends gave me tea :( Thanks for sharing your insight, debunix.

How did you make a decision on which teas to choose from in the beginning and what are some of your favorites? Is more expensive not necessarily always better? There is so much to choose from..

I'm really starting to enjoy this Kabusecha, but I think I'm going to try something different for my next order. That Kamairi Tamaryokucha you mentioned sounds really interesting.. Never seen pan fried versus steamed before.

Oct 9th, '16, 03:07
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 9th, '16, 03:07

VelociTea wrote:
debunix wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

That sounds great! I wish my friends gave me tea :( Thanks for sharing your insight, debunix.

How did you make a decision on which teas to choose from in the beginning and what are some of your favorites? Is more expensive not necessarily always better? There is so much to choose from..

I'm really starting to enjoy this Kabusecha, but I think I'm going to try something different for my next order. That Kamairi Tamaryokucha you mentioned sounds really interesting.. Never seen pan fried versus steamed before.
That Kamairi Tamaryokucha is absolutely wonderful brewed hot, too. I preferred it to sencha and the Chinese greens I've tried, too!

Oct 9th, '16, 03:27

by VelociTea » Oct 9th, '16, 03:27

jayinhk wrote:
VelociTea wrote:
debunix wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

That Kamairi Tamaryokucha is absolutely wonderful brewed hot, too. I preferred it to sencha and the Chinese greens I've tried, too!
I think I've already made my decision. It sounds really good and unique!

Oct 9th, '16, 03:56
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 9th, '16, 03:56

VelociTea wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
VelociTea wrote:
debunix wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

I think I've already made my decision. It sounds really good and unique!
I think you'll like it! I certainly do and I'll definitely pick up some more at some point. :)

+ Post Reply