Kyobancha aka. iribancha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 29th, '16, 07:52

Kyobancha aka. iribancha

by absence » Sep 29th, '16, 07:52

Kyobancha (or iribancha) is a roasted green tea local to the Kyoto area. Apparently, during the second world war, metal pots, pans, etc. were recycled for making guns and ammunition, leaving tea producers with only old rusty pans with holes. The result was that kyobancha got flavour from smoke seeping through the holes. Some liked the new smoky taste (it's like a light lapsang), others preferred the traditional one without smoke. Both are produced today. However, since the tea is a niche even in Japan, it's a bit difficult to find, and vendors don't always make the distinction between smoky and traditional kyobancha. The ones I've tried are:
  • Maiko - traditional
  • Ippodo - smoky
  • Horaido - traditional
Does anyone have experience with other vendors and can add to the list?

Dec 17th, '16, 03:43

Re: Kyobancha aka. iribancha

by umijoshi » Dec 17th, '16, 03:43

absence wrote:Kyobancha (or iribancha) is a roasted green tea local to the Kyoto area. Apparently, during the second world war, metal pots, pans, etc. were recycled for making guns and ammunition, leaving tea producers with only old rusty pans with holes. The result was that kyobancha got flavour from smoke seeping through the holes. Some liked the new smoky taste (it's like a light lapsang), others preferred the traditional one without smoke. Both are produced today. However, since the tea is a niche even in Japan, it's a bit difficult to find, and vendors don't always make the distinction between smoky and traditional kyobancha. The ones I've tried are:
  • Maiko - traditional
  • Ippodo - smoky
  • Horaido - traditional
Does anyone have experience with other vendors and can add to the list?
Ujikoen and Furyu Bancha specialty store have really good kyobancha done (in your words) traditionally? To be honest ive never had any smokey tea from Japan. I deal with ippodo often but have never tried their kyobancha. This makes me quite curious!

Dec 17th, '16, 06:55

by absence » Dec 17th, '16, 06:55

umijoshi wrote:Ujikoen and Furyu Bancha specialty store have really good kyobancha done (in your words) traditionally?
It seems like neither of those shops ship internationally. Yunomi sells some tea from Furyu, but not their kyobancha unfortunately. The other tea from Furyu sounds very interesting though, maybe I will try some.
umijoshi wrote:To be honest ive never had any smokey tea from Japan. I deal with ippodo often but have never tried their kyobancha. This makes me quite curious!
Try it next time!

Dec 19th, '16, 03:06

by umijoshi » Dec 19th, '16, 03:06

absence wrote:
umijoshi wrote:Ujikoen and Furyu Bancha specialty store have really good kyobancha done (in your words) traditionally?
It seems like neither of those shops ship internationally. Yunomi sells some tea from Furyu, but not their kyobancha unfortunately. The other tea from Furyu sounds very interesting though, maybe I will try some.
umijoshi wrote:To be honest ive never had any smokey tea from Japan. I deal with ippodo often but have never tried their kyobancha. This makes me quite curious!
Try it next time!
from Yunomi I bought a bancha sampler pack that the kyobancha was part of, highly recommend it.

Dec 20th, '16, 06:52

by Pig Hog » Dec 20th, '16, 06:52

Yuuki-Cha sell some but I personally prefer Maiko's.

Dec 20th, '16, 10:17

by absence » Dec 20th, '16, 10:17

umijoshi wrote:from Yunomi I bought a bancha sampler pack that the kyobancha was part of, highly recommend it.
Seems to be sold out, but I'll keep my eyes open for the next harvest!
Pig Hog wrote:Yuuki-Cha sell some but I personally prefer Maiko's.
The Maiko one is indeed very good. How does it compare to Yuuki? Is it smoked or traditional roast?

Dec 20th, '16, 12:41

by Pig Hog » Dec 20th, '16, 12:41

Maiko's is smokier. I'd hesitate to say that the yuuki cha is good but a bit boring.

Mar 16th, '17, 16:47

by absence » Mar 16th, '17, 16:47

Having tasted the one from Yuuki now, I agree that it's comparatively boring, but it's enjoyable enough in itself. Absolutely no smoke. I also tried the one from Obubu, which is even milder than the Yuuki one, also no smoke. Rishouen has one that is actually a bit smoky. Much less than the Ippodo one, but more than Maiko. It doesn't taste anything like meat, but the smokiness reminds me of smoked ham - it's there, but doesn't steal the show.

+ Post Reply