Small fridge for green tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 4th, '17, 06:55

Small fridge for green tea

by Noonie » Feb 4th, '17, 06:55

Does anyone use a dedicated fridge to store their unopened green tea?

I was thinking of getting a small bar fridge to store my green tea, before the spring release of teas. Problem is their around $150...which is money not spent directly on tea. My thinking is that I would buy 20 or so 100g packets of tea at once, versus over 4 or 5 orders. Likely would save on shipping.

Any real advantages of doing this, over my current practice of 4-5 packets per order, stored in my cool and dark basement?

Feb 4th, '17, 16:24

Re: Small fridge for green tea

by victoria3 » Feb 4th, '17, 16:24

Noonie wrote:Does anyone use a dedicated fridge to store their unopened green tea?

I was thinking of getting a small bar fridge to store my green tea, before the spring release of teas. Problem is their around $150...which is money not spent directly on tea. My thinking is that I would buy 20 or so 100g packets of tea at once, versus over 4 or 5 orders. Likely would save on shipping.

Any real advantages of doing this, over my current practice of 4-5 packets per order, stored in my cool and dark basement?
So far, I just dedicate one lower drawer in my fridge, but several on this forum have dedicated small fridges also. Originally I over ordered sincha so created a space in the refridgerator for those, then I traveled a lot and found Japanese greens were too finicky water wise so refridgerated a few more. Now I have a moratorium on any more Japanese greens until I finish what's in the refridgerator! If you enjoy variety and trying new teas I'd recommend sticking to orders of 4-6 100gr.

Feb 5th, '17, 23:26

Re: Small fridge for green tea

by pedant » Feb 5th, '17, 23:26

imo, no need for a dedicated fridge.
with proper re-sealing of bags (ideally with an impulse sealer), your main fridge shouldn't be an issue.
on the other hand, even a dedicated fridge won't save you from humidity/moisture/condensation if you're not re-sealing them properly.

also, let bags of tea warm up to room temp 100% (can take a good while) before opening so you don't get condensation forming right on the leaf / bag interior when you open them.

+ Post Reply