Grassy Sencha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 2nd, '17, 03:10

Grassy Sencha

by devites » Mar 2nd, '17, 03:10

Hello all!

Can anyone recommend a really grassy, vegetal sencha. Lately all the senchas I have been getting have seemed a little bit soft, subtle, and not much like senchas I prefer. So any recs for senchas with a lot of body that are thicker and with a full feeling floating on the tongue and more grassy in profile! Thanks in advance.

Mar 2nd, '17, 03:51

Re: Grassy Sencha

by joelbct » Mar 2nd, '17, 03:51

devites wrote: Hello all!

Can anyone recommend a really grassy, vegetal sencha. Lately all the senchas I have been getting have seemed a little bit soft, subtle, and not much like senchas I prefer. So any recs for senchas with a lot of body that are thicker and with a full feeling floating on the tongue and more grassy in profile! Thanks in advance.
Have you tried O-Cha's organic Kagoshima Chiran? That's been my sencha staple for a few years now. I'd say it's pretty well-steamed, and vegetal. Not sure I'd call it "grassy" though. More vegetal and umami-ish, but definitely not "subtle."

Mar 2nd, '17, 16:03
Adagio
Scrolling: scrolling

by Emily@Adagio » Mar 2nd, '17, 16:03

I realize I may be a bit biased, but Adagio's Sencha Premier is one of my favorite teas of all time. I love Sencha, and the Sencha Premier manages to be both grassy and vegetal, while retaining a really smooth buttery body, and a very slight sweetness. I highly recommend it. :D

http://www.adagio.com/green/sencha_premier.html

Mar 3rd, '17, 03:32

by devites » Mar 3rd, '17, 03:32

Great buttery body sounds great I ordered some sencha premier and I'll order some of that Kagoshima from o-cha next time i place an order.

Mar 4th, '17, 12:07

by victoria3 » Mar 4th, '17, 12:07

Sincha Spring harvest is around the corner, I find these young teas generally are the grassiest. I did a quick search of my tasting notes and the grassiest notes seemed to be for Maeda-en Shin-cha Hachijyuhachiya (88th Night) followed by O-Cha's Sinchas; Yutaka Midori, Sae Midori and Fukamushi Sincha "Kaoru" . I have had very good 1st flush, sincha recurring orders from O-Cha, Maiko and Thes du Japón.

Mar 5th, '17, 13:32

by nasalfrog » Mar 5th, '17, 13:32

joelbct wrote:

Have you tried O-Cha's organic Kagoshima Chiran? That's been my sencha staple for a few years now. I'd say it's pretty well-steamed, and vegetal. Not sure I'd call it "grassy" though. More vegetal and umami-ish, but definitely not "subtle."
Anyone know what happened to the organic chiran? I ordered it last month with my first o-cha order, and it has completely disappeared from their site. One of my favorites from the teas I ordered.

Edit: Any suggestions for a similar/as flavorful organic sencha would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 5th, '17, 22:01

by joelbct » Mar 5th, '17, 22:01

nasalfrog wrote: Anyone know what happened to the organic chiran? I ordered it last month with my first o-cha order, and it has completely disappeared from their site. One of my favorites from the teas I ordered.

Edit: Any suggestions for a similar/as flavorful organic sencha would be greatly appreciated.
Huh that's odd. I have 100g left. It was one of their more popular offerings so I'd imagine they will stock the 2017 harvest.

Any of their fukamushi (deep-steamed) tea should have that "vegetal" sencha taste: https://www.o-cha.com/loose-leaf-green- ... green-tea/

There is also a non-organic Chiran: https://www.o-cha.com/chiran-green-tea.html

Finally, for years Ito En's Chiran Kanayamidori was my Kago staple, it I can also vouch for as deep green and vegetal: www.itoen.com/loose-leaf/green/chiran-kanayamidori

I switched to O-cha's Chiran a few years ago because it was organic and attractively-priced, but Ito En's was always great too.

Mar 7th, '17, 18:55

by nasalfrog » Mar 7th, '17, 18:55

joelbct wrote:
Huh that's odd. I have 100g left. It was one of their more popular offerings so I'd imagine they will stock the 2017 harvest.

Any of their fukamushi (deep-steamed) tea should have that "vegetal" sencha taste: https://www.o-cha.com/loose-leaf-green- ... green-tea/

There is also a non-organic Chiran: https://www.o-cha.com/chiran-green-tea.html

Finally, for years Ito En's Chiran Kanayamidori was my Kago staple, it I can also vouch for as deep green and vegetal: www.itoen.com/loose-leaf/green/chiran-kanayamidori

I switched to O-cha's Chiran a few years ago because it was organic and attractively-priced, but Ito En's was always great too.
Thank you for the suggestions! The Oku Yutaka appears to be fukamushi, so I'll give that a try on my next order. Hopefully the organic Chiran will be back this Spring.

May 6th, '17, 19:15

by devites » May 6th, '17, 19:15

Update: Grassyness in sencha has a lot to do with brewing temperature. I was being lazy and just boiling and pouring, but using lower temp water def helps bring out the mellow soft vegetal rich grassy notes whereas high brewing temp gets a more dry, dull, astringent, bitter flavour.

I have been a lazy tea drinker for awhile, but to get the best flavour paying attention to brewing parameters definitely improves flavour dramatically. Time to be a connoisseur again!

May 6th, '17, 19:34

by victoria3 » May 6th, '17, 19:34

devites wrote: Update: Grassyness in sencha has a lot to do with brewing temperature. I was being lazy and just boiling and pouring, but using lower temp water def helps bring out the mellow soft vegetal rich grassy notes whereas high brewing temp gets a more dry, dull, astringent, bitter flavour.

I have been a lazy tea drinker for awhile, but to get the best flavour paying attention to brewing parameters definitely improves flavour dramatically. Time to be a connoisseur again!
Ya you really need to be very precise with Japanese greens; use a scale and a thermometer. 5 degrees too hot and it gets bitter, 30seconds too long a steep and it gets bitter and or too astringent, not enough leaf and it's to watery... Keeping notes helps to get the right parameters for your palate.

May 7th, '17, 11:55

by joelbct » May 7th, '17, 11:55

This. Boiling water oversteeping would ruin sencha.

I personally do 175 for 1.5 min, 1:100 ratio. Tokoname-ware is best but glass is just what I normally use lately.

May 7th, '17, 13:11

by victoria3 » May 7th, '17, 13:11

joelbct wrote: This. Boiling water oversteeping would ruin sencha.

I personally do 175 for 1.5 min, 1:100 ratio. Tokoname-ware is best but glass is just what I normally use lately.
I usually note the vendors parameters then increase leaf slightly, or I start with a ratio of 1gr/1oz/155F/90sec or 1.25gr/1oz then slightly increase steeping temp by 5degreesF and time by 30sec or more for each steep. Depending on the sencha temperatures can vary between 135-175 for 1st Steep.

Something I do which is a little time consuming but worth it in the long run, is to keep a tasting log in Evernote app for each tea. Since I'm trying so many different teas a log helps me fine tune steeping parameters for each tea, I can then refer back to those notes two weeks, one, five or ten years later, at least as a guide.

May 7th, '17, 15:42

by JRS22 » May 7th, '17, 15:42

victoria3 wrote: Something I do which is a little time consuming but worth it in the long run, is to keep a tasting log in Evernote app for each tea. Since I'm trying so many different teas a log helps me fine tune steeping parameters for each tea, I can then refer back to those notes two weeks, one, five or ten years later, at least as a guide.
I use an old iOS app which serves not just as a tasting log, but also as a timer. It even prorates the tea for my different size pots. It was abandoned by the developer but I'm so dependent upon it that I have an old iPod touch that runs iOS 6 (iOS is currently at v10) that I keep just for this app, plus another old iPod touch as backup!

May 7th, '17, 20:14

by joelbct » May 7th, '17, 20:14

victoria3 wrote: I usually note the vendors parameters then increase leaf slightly, or I start with a ratio of 1gr/1oz/155F/90sec or 1.25gr/1oz then slightly increase steeping temp by 5degreesF and time by 30sec or more for each steep. Depending on the sencha temperatures can vary between 135-175 for 1st Steep.

Something I do which is a little time consuming but worth it in the long run, is to keep a tasting log in Evernote app for each tea. Since I'm trying so many different teas a log helps me fine tune steeping parameters for each tea, I can then refer back to those notes two weeks, one, five or ten years later, at least as a guide.
I just do a longer steep and dont bother with 2nd steeps for Sencha. I used to, but found if I brew my first steep for 1 to 1.5 min, it tastes great, and the second steep doesn't "spark enough joy" for me to bother with it.

Maybe if I were drinking an expensive gyokuro, or doing a 30 second initial steeping, I'd do multiples. But my O-Cha Chiran Kagoshima is pretty well priced at ~14USD/100g.

Lately the only teas I do a second steeping with are Taiwan Oolongs, and I've been doing 3 min initial and then 5 min for a second infusion with those. Each day I have 2 or 3 sessions of blacks/reds, and 1-2 of green or oolongs, and these all do just fine with 1:100 leaf-water ratio.

I'm currently primary caregiver for my 2.5 year-old daughter, so I don't quite have time to do 5x mini infusions for each tea session ;) Western style is more conducive to the terrible twos.

+ Post Reply