Situation of Green tea in each country.

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 17th, '17, 20:02
Scrolling: scrolling

Situation of Green tea in each country.

by Yawatayachaho » Apr 17th, '17, 20:02

Hi all.
I’m a member of Japanese Green tea merchant placed in Japan. (Shizuoka pref)
Our company has been involved in Green tea products for over 100 years.

Firstly, If there are some mistakes in my English, I’d like to apologize.
Actually, I have done job change from manufacturer of parts related motor to Japanese Green tea merchant because of my mind “I’d like to expand Japanese traditional thing to all over the world.”.

When I found this chat, I was really surprised because I didn’t expect there a lot of people love Green tea like this!! I’m so pleased this situation.
If you don’t mind, please give me a hand to expanding Green tea, Houjicha, Genmaicha, Matcha to the world.

Now, I’m very curious to know about Green tea in the world.
Please let me ask following things.

1) Which country do you live?
2) Which is common in your country Green tea made in Japan or made in China?
3) What kind of image for Green tea & Matcha does your nation people have? (healthy, too bitter to drink…something like this)
4) Which is famous in your country pure Green tea or Flavor tea? - What kind of flavor does your nation people prefer?
5) How much the market price for Green tea & Matcha per 100g.
6) Why do you interested in Green tea?
7) What kind of situation when you drink Green tea?

You don’t need to answer all of them. It’s OK to answer some questions which you can answer.

If you have any idea to expand Green tea in your country more, please let me know additionally.
I’d glad if I have your kindly support.

Thank you.
Last edited by Yawatayachaho on Apr 17th, '17, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 17th, '17, 20:44

Re: RE: Situation of Green tea in each country.

by joelbct » Apr 17th, '17, 20:44

Yawatayachaho wrote:
3) What kind of image for Green tea & Matcha does your nation people have? (healthy, too bitter to drink…something like this)
4) Which is famous in your country pure Green tea or Flavor tea? - What kind of flavor does your nation people prefer?
1. USA

2. I would say cheap Chinese tea is more common in most of the country, very low quality tea sold in typical grocery stores (Lipton, twinnings, Celestial Seasoning, cheap dust/fanning). But in more upscale or natural foods stores, and in Urban centers, you will usually find both slightly better quality Chinese and Japanese tea represented as well. Also, as you will find on this site or Reddit, there is certainly a developing market for 'specialty' tea here, including loose leaf Japanese sencha, gyokuro, and matcha, often ordered online from Vendors with West-facing online storefronts such as O-Cha, Ippodo, Dens, etc. Also, Ito En has made a significant advancement into the bottled tea market in the US. I believe their standard bottled tea is actually Chinese, but they do have the Sencha Shot cans which are Japanese.

3. As for the image of Green Tea, it's hard to say. There is a saying that there are (at least!) "two Americas," with a vast cultural gulf between Urban metropolitan centers (and their suburbs), and rural areas, and I suspect that there are at least two very distinct "images" of tea, and coffee, beer etc for that matter, in America, though of course the internet means anyone can have access to culture and information and tea, regardless of one's physical address. Anyhow, (and this is just a generalization so please nobody take offense! Ive enjoyed living in rural and suburban and urban areas myself) less educated more rural Americans might view with skepticism "fancy artisinal-type" foods like fine tea, whereas more educated, sophisticated, younger Americans might tend to be enthusiastic about diverse flavors, and the artisinal geeky "niche-appeal" of fine tea such as Sencha and Matcha, etc. There is also definitely a certain popularity of Japanese popular culture among some younger people (anime, video games, manga, etc), I'm not sure if that crosses over into appeal for Japanese tea, but it's possible. Also, among health-conscious people, it is relatively common knowledge that Green tea and in particular Sencha and Matcha are associated with health and high levels of antioxidants.

4. Again, flavored tea is more common for mass market, and unflavored tea for connoisseurs.

5. Market price is whatever you see at http://www.o-cha.com/ or https://shop.ippodo-tea.co.jp/kyoto/shopf/ or http://www.itoen.com/loose-leaf/green
My favorite Organic Kagoshima Chiran Sencha is currently $14.72/100g + shipping, and Matcha I like is Ippodo Wakamatsu-no-mukashi 20g, which is currently 1500 JPY plus shipping, or Ito En Koto No Tsuki Matcha, $19.50US for 20g. The typical American consumer wouldn't pay that much for tea, and the typical American tea enthusiast might spend considerably more.

6. I started drinking tea daily 14 years ago at age 19 when I had a broken bone and read that tea could help bones heal faster! I started preparing loose leaf tea about 11 years ago when I found a local shop, and I was introduced to Japanese green tea ~9 years ago at the now-closed Ito En high-end boutique in Manhattan. I found out about Japanese tea ceramics through that shop and this message board which was much busier back then!

7. I buy my tea online, and have prepared it at home or at the workplace, and sometimes though rarely in teashops. I use an electric kettle and scales and a timer, and usually just glassware with a handheld mesh strainer, although I have a few nice handmade Kyusu and Yunomi, and Chawan, bamboo whisk, etc for Matcha.

I think most Americans stick to making coffee or tea the easiest way possible- ie loose leaf tea is too time consuming or messy for most people. Also, the 'standard American diet' is sadly very heavy on sweets, processed food, and fast food chains, so the typical American palate probably is not going to be attuned to 'specialty' tea or coffee. Still, there is a rapidly growing awareness about 'artisinal' or organic or local or healthful or natural or 'whole' food and beverages among some Americans, and that could bode well for 'specialty' tea, at least I think the industry has been hoping as much for a decade or two now.

Apr 17th, '17, 21:18

Re: Situation of Green tea in each country.

by chrl42 » Apr 17th, '17, 21:18

1) Which country do you live? - China

- Firstly, I am a Korean living in China :mrgreen: in both countries, drinking domestic green is dominant, but I see there are a few groups who drink Japanese green tea and study Japanese Chadao here in China..it's kinda easy to buy Japanese green here (especially when usjng online vendors), in Korea drinking foreign green tea is way tougher, because there is a very high protective tax added to foreign green teas (but it's only applied to green tea)...there are huge groups enjoying Japanese green tea in Korea although purchasing is harder than in China..some taxes removed :mrgreen:

4) Which is famous in your country pure Green tea or Flavor tea? - What kind of flavor does your nation people prefer? - in China, none-flavored tea is dominant except for jasmine tea (a local favorite in Beijing and Sichuan), meanwhile in Korea there are a huge following drinking western black tea, which in many cases are flavored.

Apr 17th, '17, 22:39

Re: RE: Situation of Green tea in each country.

by Yawatayachaho » Apr 17th, '17, 22:39

Dear joelbct san

Thanks a lot for your kindly reply with detail explanation!!
Well noted the situation of Green tea in USA. I think I’ve learned a lot.

I also feel almost all people doesn’t prefer drinking tea with loose leaf even Japanese…
Along with passing time, number of households don’t want to take time to housework. So the need of loose leaf is getting decreased in Japan. Anyway, the entrance for knowing Green tea is OK to taste it as Tea-bags. I guess it’ll be taken time to taste it with teawares.
I’m glad to be able to know one of the American real opinion about Green tea!!

Let me make a reference.
Thank you very much joelbct san.

Apr 17th, '17, 22:39

by Yawatayachaho » Apr 17th, '17, 22:39

Dear chrl42 san

Thank you so much for your kindly reply!!

China has deep and long history about Tea culture. I thought it’s rare to drink Japanese one. So surprised there are groups to do 茶道 even few groups!! I’d glad if Chinese will turns their eyes on Japanese one also in the future.
I’ve been to Korea as business…couple of years ago. At that time, I felt Korea has own tea culture like corn tea right?
As you mentioned, tax is expensive about Green tea…but I’m happy if the number of Koreans likes Green tea is increased in the future.

Let me make a reference.
Thank you so much chrl42 san.

Apr 17th, '17, 23:01

by chrl42 » Apr 17th, '17, 23:01

Yawatayachaho wrote: Dear chrl42 san

Thank you so much for your kindly reply!!

China has deep and long history about Tea culture. I thought it’s rare to drink Japanese one. So surprised there are groups to do 茶道 even few groups!! I’d glad if Chinese will turns their eyes on Japanese one also in the future.
I’ve been to Korea as business…couple of years ago. At that time, I felt Korea has own tea culture like corn tea right?
As you mentioned, tax is expensive about Green tea…but I’m happy if the number of Koreans likes Green tea is increased in the future.

Let me make a reference.
Thank you so much chrl42 san.
Yup, many would think China to be a totalitarian country but there is ALWAYS a group of outsiders..who would not give a mind to what government says, a matured one..just like Japan :wink:

It seems many Chinese do appreciate Japanese' culture and work ethnic..as long as tea goes, Japenese teawares are quite a craze here..the important thing is the Chinese are quite proud people when it comes to traditional culture, especially tea culture, it's quite amazing to see (for me as an observer) how Japanese tea culture affects China backwards, after a long period since Tang dynasty.

In Korea, there are certain groups enjoying Japanese chadao..especially Matcha...many experienced Korean tea drinkers would own Tenmu Chawan to brew Matcha during a leisure hour...peace!

Apr 18th, '17, 00:39

by Yawatayachaho » Apr 18th, '17, 00:39

Dear chrk42 san

Thank you for your prompt comment.

I didn’t know that Japanese tea culture effect to China which proud of their history.
As you know, the origin of Tea culture is China, and after spread to Japan, it’s growth in Japanese own culture.
It’s very good thing that both countries respect each other and coexistence tea culture.

Thank you very much chrk42 san

Apr 18th, '17, 03:36

by Genmaichange » Apr 18th, '17, 03:36

I live in the USA. California.

I would say that they are equally common, but people in my area of the USA seem to prefer Japanese green teas. I live in California

In California there has been a push for matcha-infused dairy drinks like smoothies and milkshakes, also icecream. It's becoming a fad at places like starbucks and peet's coffee. Although, whenever I urge someone to try matcha infused drinks they say it tastes like grass. I don't think it's very well received by the general public.

Flavored tea seems to be popular with the general public. I say this because there are big chains of tea like Teavana and they seem to sell mostly flavored blends. 'Sweet tea' is also very popular in Southern USA, which is typically black tea that is loaded with sugar. Americans love their sugar, so a lot of us might think that green tea is bland without added flavors.

Matcha seems to be VERY expensive here. 100g for a low-end matcha is typically around $30 dollars.

My childhood friend was very into Japanese culture, so he would spend his allowance in a place called 'Japan Town' in San Francisco. He would bring back loose leaf teas for us to try, green tea was always my favorite from a young age. I also fell in love with the green tea at the restaurants in Japan Town.

I drink green tea daily. With breakfast, and also in the evening before I study. I have a lot of anxiety and I feel like green tea helps me relax and focus. Genmaicha is my favorite variety. I am currently searching for the best Genmaicha.

Apr 18th, '17, 04:20

by Yawatayachaho » Apr 18th, '17, 04:20

Dear Genmaichange san

Thanks a lot for your reply!
I’m very appreciate your kindly comment.

It’s so interesting that Matcha-infused productions are released from starbacks and so, but actual American people unpreferred it. Of I know it’s not opinion of all of Americans. I had an image Matcha productions are very popular in USA.
It’s good to drink Genmaicha! it is made from Sencha or Bancha tea leaf with roasted brown rice. Some components good for your health in Sencha, Bancha plus nutritional information of roasted brown rice. It's very good for your health. It can restrain astringency, so its taste is not so bitter.
If I will be able to sell our production to USA, please try our Genmaicha at that time :)

Let me make a reference.
Thank you very much Genmaichange san.

Apr 18th, '17, 11:27

by joelbct » Apr 18th, '17, 11:27

Sure. One more thing I forgot, Sushi and Ramen shops are well-known and relatively popular in America, especially urban and coastal areas.

So, when I describe Sencha to non-tea-people, to describe how it differs from Chinese green tea, I usually say Japanese tea is what's served at (authentic Japanese) Sushi places, and often then people know what I'm referring to.

Apr 18th, '17, 13:44

by Psyck » Apr 18th, '17, 13:44

India.

Both are very rare. Nearly every tea drinker in India only drinks Indian teas. And very few of them drink green tea (black tea in the form of chai is what is mostly consumed).

It is seen as a very healthy drink. It has increased in popularity in recent times for this reason, among those who add it to their diet for a healthier lifestyle. Teabags are generally preferred as most people are inexperienced at brewing loose leaf green tea.

Flavouring green tea with herbs (jasmine, mint, holy basil) and spices (ginger, liquorice root) is very common. Kashmiri kahwa green tea is blended with saffron strands, cardamom, almonds, cinnamon and cloves. For those who are used to drinking strong chai', having unflavoured green tea would be like drinking plain hot water :)

Regular daily drinking loose leaf greens are around $1/100g and good quality ones, say a single estate Darjeeling green, start from around $4/100g.

I'm not too interested in green tea, I mostly drink puerh/black(red)/oolong teas - in general I prefer stronger full bodied drinks. I suppose matcha would fall under that category too, but I have never tried it.

I like to drink some greens during summer time as I find them to be cooling to my body and it is pleasant to drink something lighter and milder bodied when it is warm.

Apr 18th, '17, 20:06

by Yawatayachaho » Apr 18th, '17, 20:06

Dear joelbct san

Thank you for additional precious information!

I see. I guess so.
The Authentic Japanese Sushi places serve genuine Japanese Sencha.
To know Green tea, It’s the best way to try it and feel by themselves.
Did people tried Sencha at Sushi place say any impressions about Sencha?
If you heard that, please let me know.

Thank you so much joelbct san.

Apr 18th, '17, 20:07

by Yawatayachaho » Apr 18th, '17, 20:07

Dear Psyck san

Thanks a lot for your comment!

I know India also has own tea culture but I didn’t know the detail situation.
It’s very precious opinion even you are not too interested in green tea.
Have you tried Green tea (not Matcha but Sencha, Genmaicha…)?
If you don’t mind, I’d glad if I have your impression about Green tea.

Thank very much Psyck san.

Apr 19th, '17, 07:17

by Psyck » Apr 19th, '17, 07:17

Yawatayachaho wrote: Dear Psyck san
Have you tried Green tea (not Matcha but Sencha, Genmaicha…)?
If you don’t mind, I’d glad if I have your impression about Green tea.
Yawatayachaho san,

I've mostly drunk Indian and a few Chinese green teas. While they are not my favourites as I prefer greens fermented :) I did enjoy some of their grassy/vegetal flavours. Sometimes they are sweet buttery smooth if I brew them right. I need to pay a lot more attention to the temperatures and times for them compared to most other teas I drink which are more forgiving and do not easily get unpleasant/bitter if not brewed optimally.

I have tried one sample each of Sencha and Genmaicha in some time back. I remember liking the roasty flavours of Genmaicha and the umami taste of Sencha. I do plan to try the various Japanese teas in future, but I only started drinking teas recently and need to settle down in my experiments with Chinese teas before I start seriously working through Japanese teas.

Cheers.

Apr 19th, '17, 19:49

by Yawatayachaho » Apr 19th, '17, 19:49

Dear Psyck san

Thank you for your kindly comment.

I’d glad to receive your precious impression!

I also feel that one of interesting thig of Tea is changing its taste depends on the way to brewing. For example, please let me mention about Japanese one. Tea leaf has some components such as Theanine , Catechin etc…

Theanine : sweeting component. It’s easy to seep out into water in low temperature.(under 70℃)
Catechin : bitter component. It’s easy to seep out into water in high temperature.

You can control its taste by yourself like sweet one, bitter one, half sweet / half bitter one…
And If you like grassy/vegetal flavors, you can enjoy Japanese one.

I’m sorry but I have not studied enough about Chinese one.
To know about Tea, I have to study about it more. I’ll try to drink Chinese one.

Thank you so much Psyck san.

+ Post Reply