the perfect temp

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 27th, '07, 18:27

by sygyzy » Apr 27th, '07, 18:27

How many vessels do you need to heat up? I mean, I don't see why you are heating up multiple cups. I understand now (thanks for the explanation) how this cools down the water, but I don't see the need for 5 hot cups. What do you do with them?

Apr 27th, '07, 18:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 27th, '07, 18:46

Hi sygyzy,

You must adapt the process to your own individual needs. I use one cup...one drinker...one cup.

Make your own tea ceremony to meet your own personal style.

Heating the pot in my mind is much more important than heating the cup(s). You heat the pot so when you pour 170* water into it, the temp remains right around that temp instead of dropping instantly by 10-20* which will happen if you do not preheat the pot. You need the higher temp to bring the flavor out...and the aroma.

Apr 27th, '07, 18:54

by scruffmcgruff » Apr 27th, '07, 18:54

Haha, I didn't mean you necessarily need to heat up 5 cups. I just meant repeat by pouring into one or two cups over and over, as the water will lose heat into the air while it's being poured.

I like drinking from a warm cup, but it's more a matter of personal preference UNLESS you're dealing with gyokuro. If you don't heat up cups for gyokuro, you will have cold gyokuro in a matter of seconds, and that's just a waste. :D

Apr 27th, '07, 18:59

by Chip » Apr 27th, '07, 18:59

scruffmcgruff wrote: but it's more a matter of personal preference UNLESS you're dealing with gyokuro. If you don't heat up cups for gyokuro, you will have cold gyokuro in a matter of seconds, and that's just a waste. :D
Yes, Scruff is right...you must preheat everything for gyokuro.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 27th, '07, 20:56

by sygyzy » Apr 27th, '07, 20:56

It all makes sense now. You guys are the best!

Apr 27th, '07, 21:02

by Chip » Apr 27th, '07, 21:02

sygyzy wrote:It all makes sense now. You guys are the best!
Yes we are...lol.

Hope this makes your own tea ceremony more enjoyable!!!

May 16th, '07, 23:26

by lenny7 » May 16th, '07, 23:26

I listen to my water to tell me when it's the right temp.

I heat my water in a cheap water pot. I think I paid $11 for it at Menards. It's just a pot with a heating element in it. I used to use a thermometer to tell me when it's the right temp, but then I realized that I could get pretty darn close just by listening to it. As it heats up, it's starts to make a low grumble. When it gets to the right volume, it's ready. I did find out that having too much lime build up on the element will quiet it down some, so I have to make sure I de-lime it regularly, but one should do that anyway.

If I ever get a nice set of teaware, I can see where the pouring the water from vessel to vessel would be an excellent method, but i'm using an IngenuiTea and an insulated mug for now.

+ Post Reply