Has anybody been to a Japanese tea ceremony?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 7th, '07, 12:10

by Wesli » Dec 7th, '07, 12:10

I saw a video of Japanese fish preparation that was quite disturbing...(These people like their fish FRESH :shock: )

Apr 23rd, '08, 20:55

by witches brew » Apr 23rd, '08, 20:55

I decided to revive this old thread because I'm excited to say that I will be attending a tea ceremony demonstration next month at the Urasenke School in Manhattan. Taking pictures isn't permitted, but I will post a write up.

In addition to being interested in the ceremony itself, and of course the exquisite teaware, I'm also very curious to see how the school has transformed the old carriage houses that were Mark Rothko's studio into traditional tearooms.

Apr 23rd, '08, 21:34

by tenuki » Apr 23rd, '08, 21:34

Very cool Witches Brew!

Anyone near Seattle should check out our fantastic Japanese garden, complete with the charming 6 mat Wind of the Pines Teahouse where the local branch of Urasenke regularly performs the ceremony. The University of Washington maintains the teahouse for their Chado classes... :D

ImageImageImage

Urasenke also has a 3 mat tearoom, Ryokusuian, Arbor of Green Reflecting Waters at the Seattle Art Musuem where they give bi-monthly presentations.

I used to live two blocks from the japanese garden and teahouse years ago and went there all the time. :D I haven't been in years, but was planning a trip there this weekend, funny you should post this.

Apr 23rd, '08, 22:29

by chamekke » Apr 23rd, '08, 22:29

Tenuki, I second your endorsement - the Japanese Garden in Seattle is absolutely breathtaking. Last October I attended a tea demonstration at the Shoseian teahouse in the garden, and it was very lovely too... a traditional little tearoom with tatami mats, tokonoma (alcove), the works.

As I think has been mentioned in other threads :wink: I do study Chadou (tea ceremony), so if anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them. And if I'm really stumped, I can ask my sensei!

Apr 23rd, '08, 22:40

by tenuki » Apr 23rd, '08, 22:40

Another pic of the teahouse:

Apr 23rd, '08, 23:16

by joelbct » Apr 23rd, '08, 23:16

tenuki wrote:Anyone near Seattle should check out our fantastic Japanese garden
LOL, tenuki, i was like *wow* that's tenuki's garden? must have gotten in on the ground floor of microsoft or something! till i realized was a public garden :)

And witches brew, are you going to the Manhattan Urasenke demonstration on Wednesday, May 21 at 5:30? I am planning on attending that one as well, then possibly signing up as a member/student. Perhaps I will see you there!

Apr 24th, '08, 10:43

by witches brew » Apr 24th, '08, 10:43

[quote="joelbct]
And witches brew, are you going to the Manhattan Urasenke demonstration on Wednesday, May 21 at 5:30? I am planning on attending that one as well, then possibly signing up as a member/student. Perhaps I will see you there![/quote]

Yes, that's the demonstration I am planning to attend. It should be interesting. See you there!

Apr 25th, '08, 21:43

by joelbct » Apr 25th, '08, 21:43

Apr 25th, '08, 22:11

by chamekke » Apr 25th, '08, 22:11

Wow, it's going to take me some time to work through these. Thanks for sharing!

A few months back (er, maybe a year ago), I worked through every YouTube video on Chadou that I could find. Most of them were, let's say, on the disappointing side. Now it seems that there are some much better offerings out there. I'm going to have to return to YouTube and do some serious exploring.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 28th, '08, 02:09

by tenuki » Apr 28th, '08, 02:09

Went to the ceremony at the seattle japanese garden with my 7 year old son on Saturday. It was a beautiful day a wonderful experience. My son was enraptured by the whole thing, and the ladies putting on the demonstration and interactive session were gaga over him, which probably helped. lol.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 28th, '08, 09:12

by Michael_C » Apr 28th, '08, 09:12

I spend a lot of time in Japan, and have taken tea making classes (as in, making drinkable tea from picked leaves) but oddly have no desire to attend a tea ceremony. I don't think my keigo is quite good enough, and I'm not asian. That, and I'm more interested in the 'tea ceremonies' of everyday folks - the office worker, the college student, the old man at the ramen shop. It sounds interesting, but like praying at a shinto jinji, I'm afraid I'd always be stuck as an outsider.

Apr 28th, '08, 11:51

by tenuki » Apr 28th, '08, 11:51

Michael_C wrote:I spend a lot of time in Japan, and have taken tea making classes (as in, making drinkable tea from picked leaves) but oddly have no desire to attend a tea ceremony. I don't think my keigo is quite good enough, and I'm not asian. That, and I'm more interested in the 'tea ceremonies' of everyday folks - the office worker, the college student, the old man at the ramen shop. It sounds interesting, but like praying at a shinto jinji, I'm afraid I'd always be stuck as an outsider.
The whole focus of the ceremony is supposed to be on making the guest comfortable and enjoying the experience I thought.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 28th, '08, 11:58

by chamekke » Apr 28th, '08, 11:58

tenuki wrote:
Michael_C wrote:I spend a lot of time in Japan, and have taken tea making classes (as in, making drinkable tea from picked leaves) but oddly have no desire to attend a tea ceremony. I don't think my keigo is quite good enough, and I'm not asian. That, and I'm more interested in the 'tea ceremonies' of everyday folks - the office worker, the college student, the old man at the ramen shop. It sounds interesting, but like praying at a shinto jinji, I'm afraid I'd always be stuck as an outsider.
The whole focus of the ceremony is supposed to be on making the guest comfortable and enjoying the experience I thought.
Yes. The host does his/her best to make the guest feel welcome and comfortable, and the guest does his/her best to receive everything appreciatively.

If the guest feels like an outsider, the host is doing something seriously wrong.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 28th, '08, 15:37

by Michael_C » Apr 28th, '08, 15:37

Well, it's just me - but without having a level of fluency in honorific forms of Japanese, I wouldn't do it. My loss I guess. I have seen books in Uji that are guides to the vocabulary of the ceremony but didn't buy one, figuring the words wouldn't stick if I didn't have occasion to use them (using a word once is not enough to make it stick for very long).

Apr 28th, '08, 18:58

by jazz88 » Apr 28th, '08, 18:58

If you are in NY there is John P. Humes Japanese Stroll Garden.

Public guided tours followed by a demonstration of the Japanese tea ceremony lasting about 90 minutes, are given at 10:00 AM on the following Saturdays: May 3 & 17; June 7 & 28; July 19; August 23; September 13 & 27; October 11 & 25. Fee is $12/per person.

Shakuhachi (bamboo flute) performances: Saturday, April 26 is first performance. May through October performances held on the 2nd & 4th Saturday & 2nd Sunday, from 1:00 PM–4:00 PM.

Shakuhachi Meditation conducted by Cynthia Nyoen Chaffee: April 27, May 4, 11, 18 & 25. Fee per person members $5 & non-members $12. Reservations are required, rain or shine.

+ Post Reply