Den's Tea's Sakura Sencha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 18th, '08, 11:03

Den's Tea's Sakura Sencha

by Ladytiger » Feb 18th, '08, 11:03

I what Den's Sakura Sencha is back! Has anyone tried this before? I would love to order it but with out knowing what it tastes like it's a it's hard to spend $10 on something that I will not like, so if some has ordered it could you possible send a small sample my way if possible? :D

Feb 18th, '08, 12:42

by Pentox » Feb 18th, '08, 12:42

I was thinking of ordering some of that from Den's, but I probably won't put in my order this week.

Feb 18th, '08, 23:07

by Cinnamon Kitty » Feb 18th, '08, 23:07

That sounds really good. I had a cherry rose sencha that I found in a tea shop in Ottawa a few months ago. It was absolutely awesome so I am wondering if this is any where close to that. Sadly that tea was finished very quickly due to its enjoyability. On the flip side, the cherry green tea from Adagio was nothing like a cherry taste that I expected, reminding me more of the over sweetened, bright pink bubblegum that all the kids get at Halloween. So I, too, am conflicted as to if it is worth the money to try it.

Feb 27th, '08, 15:18

by Cinnamon Kitty » Feb 27th, '08, 15:18

I decided to order this tea since it sounded really good. Sadly it arrived at a time where I am sick, but I will try to give a decent idea of what it is like. The package says that it contains green tea, cherry leaf, heather, and cherry flavor. I was hoping they would put actual cherry blossoms in the tea since they tend to smell so good in the spring time. The recommended brewing is 6oz water, 180 with 1 tsp of leaves.

The scent of the dried leaves in the package was a nice, pleasant cherry. It managed to smell like an actual cherry instead of a less accurate cherry-like smell such as that used in cherry candies. I decided to use my kyusu for brewing using 1.5 tsp at 180ish. The first steep was 45 sec, as recommended by Den's on the package. The color of the tea was a pale, spring green. It tasted similar to its color, a very fresh, spring-like green flavor with a pleasant cherry after taste. There is no grassiness, but more of a leaf flavor. It reminds me of the smell when you take a leaf from a maple tree and break it up in pieces. There is also very little astringency. The second steep is a milder version of the first steep, with less of a cherry after taste and a more prominent leafy flavor.

It is a good tea. It would probably be better if I had full use of my nose and taste buds. The flavor may take a bit to get used to. Unless it turns into spectacular when I feel better, it will go in the category of that it was a nice tea to try, and fully worth trying, but not amazing enough to buy again.

Feb 27th, '08, 16:00

by LavenderPekoe » Feb 27th, '08, 16:00

Wow, thank you for that review. I was (and still am) just about to order some. :)
Teas for trade:

Mar 20th, '08, 10:39

by ryan » Mar 20th, '08, 10:39

Keeping in mind I normally do not like flavored tea I decided to give Den's Sakura Sencha a try. I was dissapointed to find when I received it that it contains "cherry flavor". The aroma is very sweet almost like a candy (not like a cherry blossom). The taste of the tea is very artificial reminding me of couch syrup. In my opinion this is a terrible waste of sencha, I would not recommend this tea to anyone... especially if they do not normally like flavored tea.

Mar 20th, '08, 11:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 20th, '08, 11:59

I respectfully disagree. I don't like most flavored teas generally speaking, but I found this one to be quite nice.

I does state that it is a flavored tea, and I submit to you that a cherry flavor would be a far better addative than a perfumed taste.

Maybe you should try again using a lower brewing tempature. Den's states - "hint: More fruity aroma with higher water temp and more Sencha flavor with lower water temp"

Mar 20th, '08, 17:43

by ryan » Mar 20th, '08, 17:43

That is a good point about the lower brewing temperature I will give that a try but I am not hopeful. :wink:

Mar 24th, '08, 15:53

by Chip » Mar 24th, '08, 15:53

Anyone who knows me, knows I am not a fan of flavored tea. But I am a fan of tradtional Asian offerings.

That said, I am truly enjoying a few cups of this very nice example of what a traditional Japanese Sakura sencha should be, thanx to a sample from Victoria.

Den's has captured the flavor and the spirit of this Spring time offering. It is not brassy like a Teavana offering I have sitting in a tin here from the turn of the Millenium that is so overpowering (8 years later). Teavana has missed the point of this beautiful tradtional Spring sencha by just killing it with horrid fake flavor. Just nothing authentic about it

Den's Sakura Sencha is a charming, enchanting brew that takes me to Japan in the Spring with each sip.

This is not a cherry blossom tea per se, it is a cherry tea with some blossoms added as well. After all, the cherry trees of Japan have only just now begun to show signs of life after a long Winter's rest.

Mar 24th, '08, 16:08

by ryan » Mar 24th, '08, 16:08

Chip,

What is your preferred brewing parameters for this tea (amount, time, temp)? I was going to give this a shot on Friday but decided to go with a gyokuro from Hibiki.

Mar 24th, '08, 16:17

by Chip » Mar 24th, '08, 16:17

Ryan, I think this is a good casual tea...and except for temp, I kept it that way. Just went with Den's recommendation. 6 oz water, a little more leaf than they recommeded...around 1.5 tsp. I did preheat my pot, 176* water (water cooled too fast, so I was 4* lower than they recommend) 45 sec about. Nice.

Second steep a little hotter...also nice...still going...

How was the gyokuro, which one?

Mar 26th, '08, 14:27

by LavenderPekoe » Mar 26th, '08, 14:27

I did have a few nice brews of this the other day. My first attempt wasn't great, but I tried it again, a bit more carefully, and actually enjoyed it.
Teas for trade:

Apr 9th, '08, 14:31

by ryan » Apr 9th, '08, 14:31

Chip, it was the gyokuro Superior from hibiki. Not having a lot of experience with gyokuros I can't comment on its quality but I enjoy it a lot. It makes a great cup of tea with a slightly sweet aftertaste that stays on your tongue.

Unfortunately the last few weeks I have been suffering from some sort of stomach lining problem that has forced me to stop drinking caffeine or alcohol. Hopefully I will be back on tea next week, I miss it a lot!

+ Post Reply