Matcha sifter

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.


User avatar
May 16th, '08, 15:18
Posts: 212
Joined: Jul 26th, '06

Matcha sifter

by Samovar » May 16th, '08, 15:18

Once in awhile I'll find some small lumps in my matcha. So I decided to purchase a matcha sifter from Tributetea.com

http://www.tributetea.com/accessories_sifter.asp

I haven't received it yet as they are on spring break.

Does anyone else use a matchasifter?

Samovar

User avatar
May 16th, '08, 15:20
Posts: 3368
Joined: Feb 8th, '08
Location: France

by olivierco » May 16th, '08, 15:20

Yes, always. I have the same matcha sifter (in red)

User avatar
May 16th, '08, 15:21
Posts: 8107
Joined: Jan 8th, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Contact: Victoria

by Victoria » May 16th, '08, 15:21

Yeah I do, I have the same one. :D
It is actually kinda big, but works great.

May 16th, '08, 15:26
Posts: 1996
Joined: Jan 14th, '08
Location: CA
Contact: Pentox

by Pentox » May 16th, '08, 15:26

I don't have a specific matcha sifter, but i have a sifter I use for matcha. It's just a regular little mesh strainer some people use them to pour out tea, but I use it for matcha.

User avatar
May 16th, '08, 15:30
Posts: 212
Joined: Jul 26th, '06

by Samovar » May 16th, '08, 15:30

Pentox wrote:I don't have a specific matcha sifter, but i have a sifter I use for matcha. It's just a regular little mesh strainer some people use them to pour out tea, but I use it for matcha.



At first I thought of using a sifter like that but I just have to have all those tea accessories! :lol:

Samovar

May 16th, '08, 15:32
Posts: 1996
Joined: Jan 14th, '08
Location: CA
Contact: Pentox

by Pentox » May 16th, '08, 15:32

Samovar wrote:
Pentox wrote:I don't have a specific matcha sifter, but i have a sifter I use for matcha. It's just a regular little mesh strainer some people use them to pour out tea, but I use it for matcha.



At first I thought of using a sifter like that but I just have to have all those tea accessories! :lol:

Samovar


I know exactly how you feel, I'm probably going to get one the next time I put in an order for some matcha. I've been neglecting my matcha drinking recently to work on senchas.

User avatar
May 16th, '08, 15:49
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21640
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » May 16th, '08, 15:49

Pentox wrote:
Samovar wrote:
Pentox wrote:I don't have a specific matcha sifter, but i have a sifter I use for matcha. It's just a regular little mesh strainer some people use them to pour out tea, but I use it for matcha.



At first I thought of using a sifter like that but I just have to have all those tea accessories! :lol:

Samovar


I know exactly how you feel, I'm probably going to get one the next time I put in an order for some matcha. I've been neglecting my matcha drinking recently to work on senchas.


I am currently like Pentox...for me mainly because I do not have matcha that frequently to justify spending 18 bucks on the sifter...but I will get one. I know this is inevetitable! As the sun rises everyday...

Til then, I just use a spare stainless steel infuser from a tesubin, a spare sample tin from Upton, and a little bamboo spoon. Total cost, less than a buck. Everything fits perfectly into the sample tin, almost like it was made for this purpose.

May 16th, '08, 15:57
Posts: 1996
Joined: Jan 14th, '08
Location: CA
Contact: Pentox

by Pentox » May 16th, '08, 15:57

Heh, i'm not quite that bad. I'm just missing a can sifter.

User avatar
May 16th, '08, 16:08
Posts: 1591
Joined: Jan 28th, '07
Location: Fort Worth, TX

by Space Samurai » May 16th, '08, 16:08

I have a very similar one from Ippodo, and it works great.

User avatar
May 16th, '08, 16:28
Posts: 2327
Joined: Oct 23rd, '06
Location: Seattle Area
Contact: tenuki

by tenuki » May 16th, '08, 16:28

I just learned to like lumps of goodness in my matcha. If I'm serving someone else I use a tea strainer and the chashaku while I'm measuring into their chawan. Now that I've ground all the matcha lovers nerves into mush I will stop sharing my practices.

User avatar
May 16th, '08, 17:23
Posts: 1962
Joined: Apr 6th, '08
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact: chamekke

by chamekke » May 16th, '08, 17:23

I have one of the stainless-steel tea sifters on order, and can hardly wait. It's the same type that my tea sensei uses.

User avatar
May 16th, '08, 23:45
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » May 16th, '08, 23:45

I bought a matcha sifter from Ippodo similar to the one Samovar ordered, but I have used it it only once. Instead, I find it so much easier to place one of these strainers in the pre-heated and dried chawan
http://www.teagschwendner.com/US/en/pub ... nt_id=1032 ,
measure out my matcha into the strainer with the chashaku, and use the chashaku to gently push the matcha through the strainer into the chawan. Since the strainer is stainless steel, I can just rinse it and air dry without worrying about rust.

May 17th, '08, 00:32
Posts: 282
Joined: Feb 11th, '08

by inspectoring » May 17th, '08, 00:32

I just take the tea out into one of the stainless steel filters that come with some tea pots, and then gently rub the matcha spoon on that to sift the tea.
It does the job just fine. I have seen some awesome sifters at itoen's new york store.

+ Post Reply