O-Cha Kiri no Mori Review

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 24th, '08, 21:53

O-Cha Kiri no Mori Review

by BryanP » Jul 24th, '08, 21:53

So I finally got a taste of it (came in REALLY fast) as well.

Ordered it from Japan, shipped out on 7/20/08, got to Northern California, USA on 7/22/08.

Here is the review from my blog: http://thebryanp.wordpress.com/2008/07/ ... ha-review/

Item in review: Uji Matcha "Kiri no Mori"

Green Tea Review Description:

* Tea name: Kiri no Mori
* Distributor: O’Cha
* Type: Usucha (Thin)
* Origin: Uji, Japan
* Packaging: Oxygen-Preventive Bag in Tin
* Net Weight: 30 grams
* Distributor Description:Matcha “Kiri no Mori” - A high quality usucha matcha. This would be the perfect item if you are new to matcha and would like a economical, yet high quality introduction to matcha. Whether you use this for the tea ceremony or as a source for antioxidants, know that this matcha, as with all of our products, is extremely fresh (we only order as we sell them) and is a quality throughout. Grown in Uji, we keep this product under refrigeration until shipment. Net weight 30gm.

I mainly carry Japanese loose leaf teas, but I do own two types of matcha as of this article, and this one was the most pleasant of the two. I will be reviewing the Uji Kiri no Mori offered by O-Cha. This particular matcha was pleasing. Read below to find out why:

Aroma

* This matcha does not have a strong aroma. In fact this is actually noted on the web-site. O-Cha themselves claims that the aroma is mild. I agree with this deduction. The aroma is a very light veggie/green.

Appearance (Leaves)

* The matcha powder was nice and fine. It did not have excessive clumping and broke down very easily without having to sift it.

Taste

* This has a very nice, light flavor with a sweet tail. It has a smooth, and light body to it using my brewing parameters.
* Expected to be lighter in consistency because it is an usucha. The flavor is not overwhelming. It has a very nice veggie taste to it as it rolls off the tongue.
* Overall pleasing experience.

Brewing Parameters Used

* Water amount: 4 oz
* Tea amount: 1/3 tsp (around 1.25 spoonfuls using a matcha spoon)

Conclusion

There’s nothing much to say other than this matcha was an awesome experience, especially for the price. It has a nice flavor to it that does not overwhelm one who is not used to, let say, gyokuro-type teas. It is more balanced than other types of matcha I have tasted. I like how it rolls off my tongue after you taste the body of the tea itself; it gives off some sort of sweet tinge to it.

My recommendation: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Basically, great matcha for the price (especially). Tastes great and I had to froth some more afterward. :wink:

-Bryan

Jul 24th, '08, 22:45

by joelbct » Jul 24th, '08, 22:45

Nice review. It's not my favorite matcha from them or in general, but yah it isn't the worse I've tasted... Perhaps a serviceable beginner's Matcha.

From them I like the Organic Kaoru or the Uji Manten (tho I think the latter is a priced a bit high).

My fave Matcha's are the Wakamatsufrom Ippodo and the Koto from Ito En.

I have been meaning to try the other Matcha Vendor that the Urasenke Tea Master I met recommended, Marukyu Koyamaen. I think Marukyu and Ippodo both have a special relationship with the Tea Schools and are thought to be among the best vendors in Japan...

Aug 9th, '08, 00:26

by inspectoring » Aug 9th, '08, 00:26

very nice review indeed...it seems like across the board - people recommend the ippodo, o-cha or itoen for the freshest matcha.
Thank you.

Aug 9th, '08, 00:44

by Space Samurai » Aug 9th, '08, 00:44

I've tried the Wako and the Kirin from Koyamaen, and I prefer the stuff from o-cha, for what its worth. Ippodo and Ito en are next on my list.

Aug 9th, '08, 19:13

by inspectoring » Aug 9th, '08, 19:13

Space Samurai wrote:I've tried the Wako and the Kirin from Koyamaen, and I prefer the stuff from o-cha, for what its worth. Ippodo and Ito en are next on my list.

They are quite good..although I am struggling to perfect the koto - but still certainly fresher compared to the other ones

Dec 21st, '17, 22:42

Re: O-Cha Kiri no Mori Review

by yumcha » Dec 21st, '17, 22:42

BryanP wrote: So I finally got a taste of it (came in REALLY fast) as well.

Ordered it from Japan, shipped out on 7/20/08, got to Northern California, USA on 7/22/08.

Here is the review from my blog: http://thebryanp.wordpress.com/2008/07/ ... ha-review/

Item in review: Uji Matcha "Kiri no Mori"

Green Tea Review Description:

* Tea name: Kiri no Mori
* Distributor: O’Cha
* Type: Usucha (Thin)
* Origin: Uji, Japan
* Packaging: Oxygen-Preventive Bag in Tin
* Net Weight: 30 grams
* Distributor Description:Matcha “Kiri no Mori” - A high quality usucha matcha. This would be the perfect item if you are new to matcha and would like a economical, yet high quality introduction to matcha. Whether you use this for the tea ceremony or as a source for antioxidants, know that this matcha, as with all of our products, is extremely fresh (we only order as we sell them) and is a quality throughout. Grown in Uji, we keep this product under refrigeration until shipment. Net weight 30gm.

I mainly carry Japanese loose leaf teas, but I do own two types of matcha as of this article, and this one was the most pleasant of the two. I will be reviewing the Uji Kiri no Mori offered by O-Cha. This particular matcha was pleasing. Read below to find out why:

Aroma

* This matcha does not have a strong aroma. In fact this is actually noted on the web-site. O-Cha themselves claims that the aroma is mild. I agree with this deduction. The aroma is a very light veggie/green.

Appearance (Leaves)

* The matcha powder was nice and fine. It did not have excessive clumping and broke down very easily without having to sift it.

Taste

* This has a very nice, light flavor with a sweet tail. It has a smooth, and light body to it using my brewing parameters.
* Expected to be lighter in consistency because it is an usucha. The flavor is not overwhelming. It has a very nice veggie taste to it as it rolls off the tongue.
* Overall pleasing experience.

Brewing Parameters Used

* Water amount: 4 oz
* Tea amount: 1/3 tsp (around 1.25 spoonfuls using a matcha spoon)

Conclusion

There’s nothing much to say other than this matcha was an awesome experience, especially for the price. It has a nice flavor to it that does not overwhelm one who is not used to, let say, gyokuro-type teas. It is more balanced than other types of matcha I have tasted. I like how it rolls off my tongue after you taste the body of the tea itself; it gives off some sort of sweet tinge to it.

My recommendation: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Basically, great matcha for the price (especially). Tastes great and I had to froth some more afterward. :wink:

-Bryan
Hi, sorry for the epic old bump, but do you find it gives you a lasting "sense of well being"?

+ Post Reply