Advice from those with a daily addiction

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 8th, '08, 16:37

Advice from those with a daily addiction

by phantom9309 » Dec 8th, '08, 16:37

My question is for those of you who drink green tea multiple times a day. How much do your daily tins hold and how often do you drink a day? Also how much tea would you say you go through in a month?

Dec 8th, '08, 16:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Advice from those with a daily addiction

by Chip » Dec 8th, '08, 16:44

phantom9309 wrote:My question is for those of you who drink green tea multiple times a day. How much do your daily tins hold and how often do you drink a day? Also how much tea would you say you go through in a month?
Seems like 300 grams per month for me, having around 3 teas a day.

I use the Upton sample tins for most open teas since they are small, holding around 50 grams of most Japanese teas. If the bag contains 100 grams which is often the case, I keep the other 50 grams in reserve, not reopening it til the other tin is used up. I think this keeps the tea fresher which is critical with many greens.

Dec 8th, '08, 16:48

by Pentox » Dec 8th, '08, 16:48

I'd say about 300-400g/mo

Some months I go through quite a bit making iced tea. Amusingly i'd say my daily usage goes down during cooler months, because you get more tea hot than iced in a leaf:volume ratio.

It depends on the tin i'm using. I've got a fair number of the tins that Chip is referring to, but I don't like using them. Most of the tins I have in regular usage are double lidded washi tins or small black tins from Tao of Tea. I want to start converting into heavier usage of the Lupicia Tea Caddies, but at 33 dollars a piece it's going to be a slow conversion.

Most of my regular usage tins are ~100g of sencha/gyokuro style leaf.

Dec 8th, '08, 16:56

by Chip » Dec 8th, '08, 16:56

Pentox wrote:I'd say about 300-400g/mo

It depends on the tin i'm using. I've got a fair number of the tins that Chip is referring to, but I don't like using them. Most of the tins I have in regular usage are double lidded washi tins or small black tins from Tao of Tea.
Actually, I guess this makes mine triple lidded. I put Japanese teas in the Upton tin, then place them into double lidded Japanese canisters. I guess this makes me a little OCD about freshness? :oops:

Dec 8th, '08, 17:08

by phantom9309 » Dec 8th, '08, 17:08

Chip wrote:Actually, I guess this makes mine triple lidded. I put Japanese teas in the Upton tin, then place them into double lidded Japanese canisters. I guess this makes me a little OCD about freshness? :oops:
Freshness is definitely my top 3 concerns atm since I'm still learning/setting up my tea setup.

Dec 8th, '08, 17:14

by Pentox » Dec 8th, '08, 17:14

Chip wrote: Actually, I guess this makes mine triple lidded. I put Japanese teas in the Upton tin, then place them into double lidded Japanese canisters. I guess this makes me a little OCD about freshness? :oops:
Wow i'd say that's a bit much in terms of shooting for freshness. Why not just get an argon tank to keep them in as well? Do you find that much of an improvement in the freshness of your teas when you do that?

Dec 8th, '08, 17:54

by phantom9309 » Dec 8th, '08, 17:54

Do you guys wash out your tins before you store new tea in them or are they used exclusively for that specific tea? To be more specific, would you wash a tin that was used to store Kagoshima Sencha "Yutaka Midori" before storing Uji Sencha "Miyabi"?

Dec 8th, '08, 18:00

by Pentox » Dec 8th, '08, 18:00

phantom9309 wrote:Do you guys wash out your tins before you store new tea in them or are they used exclusively for that specific tea? To be more specific, would you wash a tin that was used to store Kagoshima Sencha "Yutaka Midori" before storing Uji Sencha "Miyabi"?
I VERY rarely buy the same tea twice, so that's a definite yes on washing them out.

I think this year, including gifts i'm buying for people there have been maybe 7 teas i've bought twice.

Dec 8th, '08, 18:54

by Chip » Dec 8th, '08, 18:54

Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote: Actually, I guess this makes mine triple lidded. I put Japanese teas in the Upton tin, then place them into double lidded Japanese canisters. I guess this makes me a little OCD about freshness? :oops:
Wow i'd say that's a bit much in terms of shooting for freshness. Why not just get an argon tank to keep them in as well? Do you find that much of an improvement in the freshness of your teas when you do that?
Well, it works for me. I do not like putting 50 grams of sencha into a tin that holds 100. All the extra air everytime I open a tin, can't be good for the tea, imho.

But I also cosmetically want Japanese teas in the cool Japanese tins, what can I say. I want to have my cake and eat it too. :roll:

Obsessive, yeah, probably.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Dec 8th, '08, 18:57

by Chip » Dec 8th, '08, 18:57

phantom9309 wrote:Do you guys wash out your tins before you store new tea in them or are they used exclusively for that specific tea? To be more specific, would you wash a tin that was used to store Kagoshima Sencha "Yutaka Midori" before storing Uji Sencha "Miyabi"?
For similar teas that are not flavored, a simple dry wipe with a teatowel is sufficient. If I can smell any tea smell after this, I might wash it. Seems I am not as OCD about this.

Dec 8th, '08, 23:58

by Salsero » Dec 8th, '08, 23:58

I am cheap, lazy, and boorish, so I just fold up the top of the bag it comes in, squeeze out as much air as possible, and clothespin it.

Dec 9th, '08, 02:04

by Oni » Dec 9th, '08, 02:04

I use 300/month, when I only drink green tea, usually twice a day, and when I buy tea I buy two 100g packs of gyokuro and two of sencha, but since I started to drink oolong I use less sencha and gyokuro, so probably I would cut down to one pack from each / moth, and the rest oolong, maybe till the end of next year i will get so enlightened I`ll start using puerh too.

Dec 9th, '08, 10:07

by phantom9309 » Dec 9th, '08, 10:07

Chip wrote:Actually, I guess this makes mine triple lidded. I put Japanese teas in the Upton tin, then place them into double lidded Japanese canisters. I guess this makes me a little OCD about freshness? :oops:
I found this chabako the other day and thought of your OCDness chip!

Not sure how well it works of course but I'm sure if you have some obsessive-chip-disorder than it doesn't seem like a bad investment to me. :wink: Here is the site for anyone who is interested. They have a huge fabric selection btw.

Dec 9th, '08, 12:01

by Chip » Dec 9th, '08, 12:01

Very interesting, Phantom. Thanks for sharing. That would make an interesting piece in whatever size.

Dec 9th, '08, 12:05

by olivierco » Dec 9th, '08, 12:05

I use between 200 and 400 gr per month.

My canisters

+ Post Reply