Plum Green Tea?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 15th, '09, 18:22

Plum Green Tea?

by TimeforTea » Jan 15th, '09, 18:22

After thoroughly enjoying cherry rose sencha, I was curious if there is such a thing as plum sencha, or some other kind of plum-tasting tea.

I tried Rishi's plum cinnamon tea and it was horrible! It tasted like really bad candy. TIA.

Jan 17th, '09, 01:03

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Jan 17th, '09, 01:03

I have come across several plum flavored loose leafs in some internet searches but none from vendors I would ever order from....most appeared to be plum flavorings added to low quality "gunpowder" style greens. I am not one that is into flavored teas....the furthest I will go is drinking genmai-cha ( a japanese green tea combined with toasted grains of rice)......what I typically do, as well as some others here on the forum like Chip, is make our own. For me, the quality of the green tea in many of the genmai-cha's is not very good...so I take my own mid-grade sencha and mix it with rice that I toast myself....it produces an excellent cup! The reason I mention this to you is that it might be hard to find an already made plum green tea that is enjoyable....this is not to say that you couldnt find the ingredients separately and make your own blend. This would be my advice to you! Hope this helps some!

-Nick

Jan 17th, '09, 01:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 17th, '09, 01:15

Yeah, seems almost all the plum I have seen includes mega doses of cinammon, bleh. Yeah, make your own if you can.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 17th, '09, 13:49

by TimeforTea » Jan 17th, '09, 13:49

Thanks for the replies. I don't understand why vendors would add cinnamon to plum tea, either. The Rishi plum cinnamon tea tasted like really bad candy.
I'm willing to drink flavored tea if it is from a reputable vendor, such as adagio.

Any thoughts as to how I would make my own?

Jan 17th, '09, 19:03

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Jan 17th, '09, 19:03

If you want a true plum flavor with the green tea, this is how I would go about doing it if I were going to drink it:
1) Get an everyday Sencha like this one from O-cha.com (http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea/daily-sencha.html)
2) Buy some dried plums
*I would experiment with adding various amounts of sencha:plum until I found a balance that I liked.
-Remember that unlike making your own genmai-cha the plums, even though they are categorized as "dry", are not really dry. This being said I would not reccomend or even consider making up a large batch and storing the plums and the sencha together. The only way this would be conceivable would be if you actually dehydrated your own plums. Anyway, I hope this helps and I wish you luck in your tea experiments!

-Nick

Jan 18th, '09, 12:42

by Tea Noob » Jan 18th, '09, 12:42

At a local tea shop they have something they called Plum Blossom Oolong. I have some and it is really good. No other ingredients like cinamon. They have it packaged in their own bags but I am sure they get it from a distributor. Maybe look around for plum oolong and maybe you will get lucky.

Jan 18th, '09, 13:03

by TimeforTea » Jan 18th, '09, 13:03

TaiPing Hou Kui--thank you for the instructions! I will try it out and if I enjoy it, I will be sure to only have it on a cup-by-cup basis.

Tea Noob--thanks! I will do an internet search for plum blossom oolong!

Have either of you ever had plum wine from an Asian restaurant? It is absolutely delish!

+ Post Reply