Aged Green

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 2nd, '09, 12:59
Vendor Member

Aged Green

by TIM » Apr 2nd, '09, 12:59

Can we age green tea? I have heard much on some 50+ yrs old LongJing aging in Taiwan from Tea Parker... Some amazing 5, 10 and 15 yrs aged gyokuro in the cellar from a traditional japanese tea farm.... And of course, some "Kok Yu" Grade Huang Shi Mao Fung aging in my archive for over 10 years.

If I may ask, how would you age yours? Same as puerh? Oolong?

btw, the aged longjing from Taiwan is going for 2 digit per gram.... :shock:

Apr 2nd, '09, 13:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 2nd, '09, 13:44

I have only more or less accidently aged some greens. Sometimes when a green is brand new, it can have an intensity or fire that is just too much. I set several new releases aside from China and when I came back to them 6 or more months later, they were surprisingly good.

Methodology for purposely aging green for an extended period??? And would it include possible refirings like with some oolong?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 2nd, '09, 13:50

by TokyoB » Apr 2nd, '09, 13:50

I have some 10+year old long jing from a family member in Taiwan. A relatively small amount was stored in a large metal tea canister so there was lots of air in the container. I'm not sure if that would be considered proper storage. The color of the tea is tan now. I had it a couple of times in Taiwan and brought some back but haven't tried it since returning last summer. Now I'll try it again. I didn't think that longjing could be aged. I just thought of this tea as "old". At the time I didn't think the taste was anything noteworthy but maybe this wasn't stored properly. Do you know how longjing is typically aged in Taiwan and what it should taste like?
TokyoB

Apr 2nd, '09, 14:33

by tenuki » Apr 2nd, '09, 14:33

Yes, it's called HojiCha... ;P

I pan fire my old green teas. I had a 2 year old westlake dragonwell king that way the other day that was exceptional.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 2nd, '09, 14:43

by Janine » Apr 2nd, '09, 14:43

Tenuki, could you please tell me how you pan-fired?

(what type of pan, heat... did you use tea oil?, etc)

Apr 2nd, '09, 14:52

by tenuki » Apr 2nd, '09, 14:52

Nothing I do with tea is very complicated. I heated up a non-stick pan on medium (no oil residue) then threw the amount i was planning on brewing in it. shook it around for about a minute or so till it looked and smelled done, then poured it into the gaiwan for brewing.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

+ Post Reply