Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

User avatar
Jun 29th 11 1:37 pm
Posts: 676
Joined: Sep 1st 10 4:08 am
Location: Northwest Louisiana

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by tortoise » Jun 29th 11 1:37 pm

The Gyokuro Nan-zen is an excellent value.

User avatar
Jul 1st 11 4:00 pm
Posts: 160
Joined: Sep 26th 10 2:13 am
Location: Apokolips

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by gargoylekitty » Jul 1st 11 4:00 pm

tortoise wrote:The Gyokuro Nan-zen is an excellent value.
Agreed, finishing off some of the last of it from when it was on sale(got it and some Maruyama for 3,000 yen). Considering trying their Fugenji-Midori on my next buy though.

User avatar
Nov 29th 11 2:33 pm
Posts: 109
Joined: May 19th 10 9:42 am

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Chesslover » Nov 29th 11 2:33 pm

Do they have any fukamushi Senchas? i can't find that information on their page...

User avatar
Nov 29th 11 2:40 pm
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Chip » Nov 29th 11 2:40 pm

Chesslover wrote:Do they have any fukamushi Senchas? i can't find that information on their page...
I believe they sell all asamushi style teas.

User avatar
Nov 29th 11 2:49 pm
Posts: 109
Joined: May 19th 10 9:42 am

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Chesslover » Nov 29th 11 2:49 pm

Thank you Chip.

User avatar
Feb 20th 12 6:20 pm
Posts: 512
Joined: Oct 8th 10 10:59 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Germany

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Stentor » Feb 20th 12 6:20 pm

They're having their yearly pre-shincha sale again. I just placed a modest order.
For those who have never had any of their sencha or Yamashita's gyokuro, now's a good time to give them a try.

After having lots of chumushi-esque asamushi and fukamushi sencha the past year (good teas though, I'm not complaining), I found myself in the mood for some genuine unadulterated asamushi sencha and figured Maiko's website was a good place to start. I was happy to see that Maruyama (among others) is on sale until the end of March :mrgreen:

I'm also going to try their one organic sencha. And of course, I have to get at least one bag of their excellent value sencha, Kamo (not "on sale").

User avatar
Feb 21st 12 5:18 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 397
Joined: Feb 2nd 12 8:03 am
Location: RSA

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by SilentChaos » Feb 21st 12 5:18 am

I just got my Gyokuro Nan-zen and Sencha Maruyama from their sale the other day. The Nan-zen for some reason tastes really flat and flavourless. I think I must be brewing it wrong.

User avatar
Feb 21st 12 5:50 am
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Chip » Feb 21st 12 5:50 am

SilentChaos wrote:I just got my Gyokuro Nan-zen and Sencha Maruyama from their sale the other day. The Nan-zen for some reason tastes really flat and flavourless. I think I must be brewing it wrong.
How are you brewing it? They do have a gyokuro brewing guide as well.

User avatar
Feb 22nd 12 1:49 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 397
Joined: Feb 2nd 12 8:03 am
Location: RSA

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by SilentChaos » Feb 22nd 12 1:49 am

Chip wrote:
SilentChaos wrote:I just got my Gyokuro Nan-zen and Sencha Maruyama from their sale the other day. The Nan-zen for some reason tastes really flat and flavourless. I think I must be brewing it wrong.
How are you brewing it? They do have a gyokuro brewing guide as well.
Hmmm...I just brewed it again, more taste this time, but it's all astringency and little sweetness. I'm using a small kyusu, 10g Nan-zen, 100ml water at 55C, 90 seconds. Everything pre-heated.

User avatar
Feb 22nd 12 2:07 am
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Chip » Feb 22nd 12 2:07 am

You might try it more geared towards Western taste buds by adjusting your brewing and see what happens. I would lower the temp a bit. 50-52* C ... small difference but if your results are unsatisfactory at a higher temp, try cooler.

Also, maybe try lower ratio of leaf to water. Try 2 grams to 1 ounce (30 ml) water. Continue to preheat everything, and try 90 seconds again.

Unfortunately I have never tried this Gyokuro ... but TBH at this price point of around 25 USD per 100 grams I would be surprised to get satisfactory results at such a high leaf to water ratio. Usually for less expensive gyo, I use lower leaf ratios.

User avatar
Feb 22nd 12 2:23 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 397
Joined: Feb 2nd 12 8:03 am
Location: RSA

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by SilentChaos » Feb 22nd 12 2:23 am

I tried 3 to 1 last time and it becomes so bland that it tastes like gyo flavoured water. I shall try again with 2 to 1. *waves about, anyone had experience with the Nan-zen before?
Chip wrote: Unfortunately I have never tried this Gyokuro ... but TBH at this price point of around 25 USD per 100 grams I would be surprised to get satisfactory results at such a high leaf to water ratio. Usually for less expensive gyo, I use lower leaf ratios.


Very true, I think I am now convinced there is no such thing as a decent yet cheap gyo. The last gyo I had was okabe premium from shizuokatea (28usd) and I had to brew it at a 5 to 1 ratio! Although, I am still rather tempted to try the Yame and Shou-un from o-cha from what you have said about them. (Wouldn't happen to know what breed the yame is?)

User avatar
Feb 22nd 12 6:28 am
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Chip » Feb 22nd 12 6:28 am

:idea: Let's discuss O-Cha teas under the O-Cha topic versus the Maiko topic. :idea: :mrgreen:

User avatar
Mar 4th 12 7:42 pm
Posts: 512
Joined: Oct 8th 10 10:59 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Germany

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Stentor » Mar 4th 12 7:42 pm

I got my package from Maiko yesterday.
In case anybody was wondering (like I was before ordering), the expiration date on the discounted Maruyama says September 30, 2012. So there's no hurry to consume it :)

User avatar
Mar 5th 12 5:04 am
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Chip » Mar 5th 12 5:04 am

Stentor wrote:I got my package from Maiko yesterday.
In case anybody was wondering (like I was before ordering), the expiration date on the discounted Maruyama says September 30, 2012. So there's no hurry to consume it :)
I received a Maiko package yesterday too (Saturday). Took advantage mostly of sale items, but opened Hachiju-hachiya first. Excellent so far!

Sale buys ... Maruyama, the Yamashita 5 gyokuro sampler set (wooo), and the Matsu matcha. The most intriguing sale item in my mind os the Yamashita Gyokuro set which includes some really expensive selections.

User avatar
Mar 5th 12 5:28 am
Posts: 1590
Joined: Dec 31st 08 2:16 am
Location: The foot of the great Smoky Mountains

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by iannon » Mar 5th 12 5:28 am

Chip wrote:
Stentor wrote:I got my package from Maiko yesterday.
In case anybody was wondering (like I was before ordering), the expiration date on the discounted Maruyama says September 30, 2012. So there's no hurry to consume it :)
I received a Maiko package yesterday too (Saturday). Took advantage mostly of sale items, but opened Hachiju-hachiya first. Excellent so far!

Sale buys ... Maruyama, the Yamashita 5 gyokuro sampler set (wooo), and the Matsu matcha. The most intriguing sale item in my mind os the Yamashita Gyokuro set which includes some really expensive selections.
man..ive never had the higher levels of Yamashita..you must tell me how they go!