Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Oct 25th 14 4:23 pm
Posts: 265
Joined: Jun 13th 13 8:18 am

Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Pig Hog » Oct 25th 14 4:23 pm

Anyone got any opinions on the limited kuradashi matcha super premium?

Thinking about buying a can. How does it compare to their standard varieties of matcha?

User avatar
Oct 14th 15 3:18 pm
Posts: 93
Joined: Mar 4th 15 3:21 am
Location: Dix Hills, long Island, New York

Re: Hibiki-an

by NateHevens » Oct 14th 15 3:18 pm

Pig Hog wrote:Anyone got any opinions on the limited kuradashi matcha super premium?

Thinking about buying a can. How does it compare to their standard varieties of matcha?
I'm bumping this thread to ask about Hibiki-An's Kuradashi teas. I'm considering, on Friday, getting either the Gyokuro, Matcha, or Sencha (with my small paychecks, I cannot, sadly, afford all three).

I was wondering if others have purchased any of their Kuradashis and what they thought...

User avatar
Dec 1st 15 5:32 pm
Posts: 129
Joined: Jan 5th 11 11:14 pm

Re: Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by shinobicha » Dec 1st 15 5:32 pm

I was personally not impressed by the "super premium". It might have been the particular year, but something was wrong with it. I got the kuradashi gyokuro, both the super premium and the one below that (the one below that was better).

In general, Hibiki-an seems a bit overpriced on their "ultra" editions...imho.

Dec 15th 15 12:16 am
Posts: 37
Joined: Jan 2nd 14 5:25 am

Re: Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by GeorgeGR » Dec 15th 15 12:16 am

I'm thinking about picking up some of their Gyokuro Superior for daily drinking. Anyone have experience with this?

User avatar
Dec 16th 15 6:14 pm
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Chip » Dec 16th 15 6:14 pm

GeorgeGR wrote:I'm thinking about picking up some of their Gyokuro Superior for daily drinking. Anyone have experience with this?
It was a while ago ... and sad to say, it was aweful. The profile literally reminded me of what a full blown sinus infection tastes and smells like.

Hopefully it is not that bad now ...

Dec 17th 15 4:19 am
Posts: 37
Joined: Jan 2nd 14 5:25 am

Re: Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by GeorgeGR » Dec 17th 15 4:19 am

Chip wrote:
GeorgeGR wrote:I'm thinking about picking up some of their Gyokuro Superior for daily drinking. Anyone have experience with this?
It was a while ago ... and sad to say, it was aweful. The profile literally reminded me of what a full blown sinus infection tastes and smells like.

Hopefully it is not that bad now ...
Thanks for letting me know.

I also noticed that they are currently selling limited amounts of Blended Sencha. Have you (or anyone) tried their Blended Sencha?

User avatar
Dec 23rd 15 6:18 pm
Posts: 129
Joined: Jan 5th 11 11:14 pm

Re: Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by shinobicha » Dec 23rd 15 6:18 pm

Personally, I would go with a different vendor:

Den's Te.a
O-Cha
Thes-du-Japon

You can find good te.a in all price ranges from all of these (and there are also other good vendors).

Gyokuro is not really a "daily drinking" te.a. But similar to gyo is kabusecha, and usually you can find that for a "daily" price.

Here are a few options for a "daily" gyo or kabusecha:
http://www.denstea.com/gyokuro-gyokuro- ... 9_101.html
http://www.denstea.com/kukicha-karigane ... 2_665.html
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... &cPath=1_6
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... cts_id=436
https://www.o-cha.com/kabusecha.html?category_id=162
https://www.o-cha.com/yame-gyokuro.html?category_id=158
https://www.o-cha.com/karigane-gyokuro. ... ory_id=158
https://www.o-cha.com/gyokuro-kamejirus ... ory_id=158

Dec 26th 15 2:01 am
Posts: 37
Joined: Jan 2nd 14 5:25 am

Re: Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by GeorgeGR » Dec 26th 15 2:01 am

shinobicha wrote:Personally, I would go with a different vendor:

Den's Te.a
O-Cha
Thes-du-Japon

You can find good te.a in all price ranges from all of these (and there are also other good vendors).

Gyokuro is not really a "daily drinking" te.a. But similar to gyo is kabusecha, and usually you can find that for a "daily" price.

Here are a few options for a "daily" gyo or kabusecha:
http://www.denstea.com/gyokuro-gyokuro- ... 9_101.html
http://www.denstea.com/kukicha-karigane ... 2_665.html
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... &cPath=1_6
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... cts_id=436
https://www.o-cha.com/kabusecha.html?category_id=162
https://www.o-cha.com/yame-gyokuro.html?category_id=158
https://www.o-cha.com/karigane-gyokuro. ... ory_id=158
https://www.o-cha.com/gyokuro-kamejirus ... ory_id=158
While O-cha does have some good gyokuro offerings, I wouldn't recommend their kamejirushi for daily drinking. It's just way too cost prohibitive at 50g for $24.

Dec 26th 15 2:02 am
Posts: 37
Joined: Jan 2nd 14 5:25 am

Re: Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by GeorgeGR » Dec 26th 15 2:02 am

GeorgeGR wrote:
shinobicha wrote:Personally, I would go with a different vendor:

Den's Te.a
O-Cha
Thes-du-Japon

You can find good te.a in all price ranges from all of these (and there are also other good vendors).

Gyokuro is not really a "daily drinking" te.a. But similar to gyo is kabusecha, and usually you can find that for a "daily" price.

Here are a few options for a "daily" gyo or kabusecha:
http://www.denstea.com/gyokuro-gyokuro- ... 9_101.html
http://www.denstea.com/kukicha-karigane ... 2_665.html
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... &cPath=1_6
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... cts_id=436
https://www.o-cha.com/kabusecha.html?category_id=162
https://www.o-cha.com/yame-gyokuro.html?category_id=158
https://www.o-cha.com/karigane-gyokuro. ... ory_id=158
https://www.o-cha.com/gyokuro-kamejirus ... ory_id=158
While O-cha does have some good gyokuro offerings, I wasn't too impressed with Yame Gyokuro.

Jun 5th 18 5:34 am
Posts: 2
Joined: Jun 5th 18 5:29 am

Re: Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by AlEg » Jun 5th 18 5:34 am

Just received my first order from Hibiki-an, mostly teaware and some green teas.

All teaware was very well packaged, every loose piece separately wrapped in foam wrap and absolutely shock free. Beautifull wares as well.

They are a bit more expensive, but it is quality.

Have not yet tried their teas, as I'm still finishing open packaging from other suppliers.

As of yet, I'm very satisfied with this dealer.

Jun 5th 18 8:01 pm
Posts: 50
Joined: Mar 25th 18 12:20 pm

Re: Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Puerh3 » Jun 5th 18 8:01 pm

AlEg wrote: Just received my first order from Hibiki-an, mostly teaware and some green teas.

All teaware was very well packaged, every loose piece separately wrapped in foam wrap and absolutely shock free. Beautifull wares as well.

They are a bit more expensive, but it is quality.

Have not yet tried their teas, as I'm still finishing open packaging from other suppliers.

As of yet, I'm very satisfied with this dealer.
Can you put a link to there website?

Thank you!
๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Jun 6th 18 8:32 am
Posts: 2
Joined: Jun 5th 18 5:29 am

Re: Hibiki-an "Official" Japanese tea topic

by AlEg » Jun 6th 18 8:32 am

Puerh3 wrote:
AlEg wrote: Just received my first order from Hibiki-an, mostly teaware and some green teas.

All teaware was very well packaged, every loose piece separately wrapped in foam wrap and absolutely shock free. Beautifull wares as well.

They are a bit more expensive, but it is quality.

Have not yet tried their teas, as I'm still finishing open packaging from other suppliers.

As of yet, I'm very satisfied with this dealer.
Can you put a link to there website?

Thank you!
๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
https://hibiki-an.com/