Den's "Official" Japanese tea topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Feb 3rd, '10, 14:53

Re: Den's "Official" Japanese tea topic

by teaisme » Feb 3rd, '10, 14:53

Yes they do ship international, but since they send it off from cali instead of japan its more expensive then other sites located in japan (if I wanted it shipped to taiwan)

Nice update of the site, didn't ruin its simplicity, and glad to see they mention breed now

Feb 4th, '10, 11:03

by edkrueger » Feb 4th, '10, 11:03

Here is the Japanese site: http://www.shirakata.co.jp/.

Feb 6th, '10, 15:53

by mbishop » Feb 6th, '10, 15:53

Den updated again, he now has a new teapot/cups to go along with this seasons sakura sencha which is back on sale.

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried Den's Organic Sencha? Thoughts?

Feb 6th, '10, 23:19

by Dresden » Feb 6th, '10, 23:19

I've never tried any sencha from Den's (mostly buy my genmaicha from them).

I'm considering getting some of the sakura sencha while they have it. I wonder what the taste is like.

Feb 7th, '10, 01:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 7th, '10, 01:33

I have not tried the Organic Sencha ... but I had their Sakura in 2008, I really liked it and I am not one to like flavored teas.

Feb 8th, '10, 14:00

by teaisme » Feb 8th, '10, 14:00

mbishop wrote:On an unrelated note, has anyone tried Den's Organic Sencha? Thoughts?
I've tried the organics that Den's has to offer, except the matcha.
The sencha, genmai,/matcha were not to my taste when drunk individually, but when mixed together and played around with still enjoyable and pleasant. The sencha has a little bit of a milkiness to it. Again, nice to blend with to add a new layer of flavour to another sencha.

I did enjoy the houjicha a lot, it took a few pots for my palate to adapt, but after that it became one of those teas that I craved until the bag ran out. The taste is unlike their non organic houjicha, maybe a little more earthy a little less bold? Calming and well very natural and balanced.

Jun 3rd, '10, 21:29

by TubbyCow » Jun 3rd, '10, 21:29

Just got my Den's order. Very fast shipping - no complaints there. I got the $3 Green Tea Newbie dealio because I spent >$15, so it was free, and it's amazing how much you get even if you end up paying the $3. A great deal!

I also got the Kokoro Kyusu. It's my first Kyusu, do I don't have anything to compare it directly to, but so far I'm very happy. Fast poor, feels sturdy. Sure, it doesn't feel like a luxurious, lovingly-made piece, but for those of us who need a place to start, it's a great idea. I love the obi ami and love that it's glazed, so it's very versatile.

Overall, I'm very happy with Den's, would order from them again, and would recommend them to my friends with enthusiasm.

Jul 17th, '10, 13:32

by Marco » Jul 17th, '10, 13:32

My experience with Den's:

Website: Wished the overviews of the teas would be with some information. To compare you have to click on every tea first. Could be improved a little bit. Everything else is fine I think.

Great support! - The site is not made for international orders. But you can write a mail and they are very helpful.

Packing: Great packaging with resealable alu-pouches.

You have to take the green tea sampler for new customers for 3$ - You get it refunded if your order is above 17$. It is really worth it.
Be smarter than me! - If you need a Kyusu be sure to take a gift set - you get a nice basket as extra and you get a little discount.

The Kyusu are glazed inside. So it depends on what you want.
Organic Genmaicha with Matcha has been great.
Matcha Kaze - nice price but not my kind.
Premium Gyokuro Suimei - I didn't taste it yet.

Can recommend this shop.

Aug 18th, '10, 00:59

by Chip » Aug 18th, '10, 00:59

I tried 3 2010 Shincha from Den's, Kunpu, Houryoku, and a small sample of Hashiri.

The Kunpu was very good asamushi, balancing veggie, sweet, bitter, astringency. This could be brewed light or strong for different effect.

Houryoku was very good fukamushi. More veggie, and more bitter than last years, but it is always pretty intense fukamushi-cha. A bit sensitive to brewing, but worth the extra effort.

I only had a very small amount of the Hashiri, but it was bright, light, veggie, bitter. I wish I had more to evaluate it, and will decline rating it this year for this reason.

I rate the 2010 SE shincha this way based on 1-5 with 5 being the highest.

Kunpu 5
Houryoku 4.5

Aug 20th, '10, 15:30

by mbishop » Aug 20th, '10, 15:30

I also had the Houryoku, and it was delicious.

Aug 20th, '10, 22:38

by DoctorD » Aug 20th, '10, 22:38

Chip wrote:Houryoku was very good fukamushi. More veggie, and more bitter than last years, but it is always pretty intense fukamushi-cha. A bit sensitive to brewing, but worth the extra effort.
Exactly my reaction, especially re the brewing sensitivity, though I didn't have last year's to compare it to. Haven't opened the Kunpu yet, but last year's was certainly enjoyable.

Aug 22nd, '10, 17:13

by Chesslover » Aug 22nd, '10, 17:13

For me Houryoku from the OTTI was one of the worst senchas I have had...I brewed it like other senchas and it just tasted bad...first steeping was kind of acceptable, but all other steepings were just not good...

Aug 22nd, '10, 22:53

by Amaikokonut » Aug 22nd, '10, 22:53

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised last week when I received the shincha kyusu I ordered. I opted for the free gift wrapping (just for fun) and it was quite nicely done-- satin-cloth ribbon and all. I was also happy to find an unexpected sample of pineapple sencha enclosed. But what really surprised me was when I checked the invoice-- they deducted the $3 for the sampler I ordered back in March from the final order total. I really wasn't expecting that after so long. Have to say I'm very happy overall, not to mention completely in love with the kyusu :)

Aug 22nd, '10, 23:20

by entropyembrace » Aug 22nd, '10, 23:20

I really liked the Houryoku...it had a very intense buttery creamy flavour similar to the Yutaka Midori Supreme from O-Cha...and from the OTTI it was 2nd only to the YM Supreme...and overall would be #3 of the senchas I have tried.

though...I am a person with a very low sensitivity to bitterness...it really has to be seriously bitter before I even taste it! :shock: So people who don´t like bitterness could have a different experience with it. But I did not taste any bitterness.

Aug 22nd, '10, 23:59

by Chip » Aug 22nd, '10, 23:59

I can understand that the Houryoku might not be everyone's fave sencha. It can take a little practice to brew to one's personal tastes and it can be on the bitter side if overbrewed. I did end up liking it brewed a few degrees cooler than normal. It was easier than some shincha to overbrew.

+ Post Reply