TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

User avatar
Jul 13th 12 12:56 am
Posts: 673
Joined: Jan 10th 10 12:38 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by sherubtse » Jul 13th 12 12:56 am

Chip wrote:I would not hesitate buying Chinese greens from TeaSpring.
Some of their blacks, however, are 4 years old. So a TeaSpring customer would do well to stick with the greens.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar
Jul 13th 12 9:05 am
Posts: 193
Joined: Feb 16th 12 6:41 pm
Location: London England

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by etorix » Jul 13th 12 9:05 am

and actually ive only bought greens from them, and all 2012s at that

Jul 13th 12 6:14 pm
Posts: 171
Joined: Jul 9th 12 8:37 pm

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by iovetea » Jul 13th 12 6:14 pm

sherubtse wrote:
Chip wrote:I would not hesitate buying Chinese greens from TeaSpring.
Some of their blacks, however, are 4 years old. So a TeaSpring customer would do well to stick with the greens.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
yes 4 years is too old.
its a shame i really wanted to try their tie luo han the name just fascinates me, but its from 2009 or so i guess.

User avatar
May 5th 13 9:02 pm
Posts: 141
Joined: Jan 16th 13 8:23 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by NPE » May 5th 13 9:02 pm

Just in time for the weekend my order with 7 oolongs arrived. I managed to sip my way through three of them so far - mainly because they were all so nice they demanded re-runs :D
The wu yi yan cha bing, the feng huang dan cong and the te ji organic da hong pao (all from2012) are all absolutely brilliant: full, round flavours, absolutely no off notes and no bitterness. In one word: superscrummy! All that for more than just reasonable prices makes this now my go-to shop when it comes to oolong. Most definitely highly recommended!!!

User avatar
May 5th 13 9:17 pm
Posts: 1652
Joined: Jun 25th 08 3:03 am

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by edkrueger » May 5th 13 9:17 pm

iovetea wrote:
sherubtse wrote:
Chip wrote:I would not hesitate buying Chinese greens from TeaSpring.
Some of their blacks, however, are 4 years old. So a TeaSpring customer would do well to stick with the greens.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
yes 4 years is too old.
its a shame i really wanted to try their tie luo han the name just fascinates me, but its from 2009 or so i guess.
That is not a black. Should be fine.

User avatar
Sep 17th 13 2:14 am
Posts: 474
Joined: Jan 23rd 07 7:50 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by Evan Draper » Sep 17th 13 2:14 am

Thought these guys could use more love. I ordered from TeaSpring twice two years ago, basically a ton of samples. With my first order, I didn't realize they were located in China! I had ordered things for a class I was teaching, express shipping, but the order took a few days to process, so I sent an email. Turns out it was Chinese New Year, but the reply was obliging, and the teas arrived in time. Out of 6 greens I've ordered, the biluochun was kind of smoky, the longjing was enjoyable, and the rest were really good. I got a couple yellow teas, which were good enough, but I still am in the dark on that topic. Two years is a significant time for your palate to evolve, and I've been pleasantly surprised that many of those old wulongs and blacks that I drank more slowly still tasted really good to me. A good all-purpose vendor.

User avatar
Sep 18th 13 4:00 pm
Posts: 215
Joined: Dec 12th 12 8:45 pm

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by amaranto » Sep 18th 13 4:00 pm

I haven't had any bad experiences with old black teas from TeaSpring like some other people in this thread. I ordered some Bai Lin Ju Hong that has become one of my favorites, and the Sichuan Gong Fu has a nice chocolatey smell and malty flavor.

User avatar
Sep 18th 13 8:10 pm
Posts: 474
Joined: Jan 23rd 07 7:50 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by Evan Draper » Sep 18th 13 8:10 pm

Yeah, the Sichuan gongfu was a particular favorite in my circle.

User avatar
Oct 3rd 13 2:26 pm
Posts: 193
Joined: Feb 16th 12 6:41 pm
Location: London England

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by etorix » Oct 3rd 13 2:26 pm

they actually post up the 2013 [or whatever] year teas very quickly

if u look on the right-hand-side on their page, they show the fresh offerings

apart from the minor mishaps with tape .. and they do actually use string as well, so ive not lost any of the contents of their parcels

and everything ive bought from them has been good

User avatar
Oct 4th 13 11:08 am
Posts: 141
Joined: Jan 16th 13 8:23 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by NPE » Oct 4th 13 11:08 am

I have ordered from them several times by now and the quality has always been high for a nice price, the shipping costs are low and the customer service is really good! :D

Nov 12th 13 4:55 pm
Posts: 308
Joined: Aug 20th 13 12:58 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by Puerlife » Nov 12th 13 4:55 pm

I bought a 2009 Yin Zhen pu-erh bing from Teaspring several months ago. I think it was 36 bucks and they ran out and have replaced it with one from 2007 for $122 BUT KEPT ALL THE OLD REVIEWS. They have reviews going all the way back to 2005 for cakes that didn't exist yet? So Teaspring may have good tea but I will read the reviews with a grain of salt.

User avatar
Nov 12th 13 5:12 pm
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by Chip » Nov 12th 13 5:12 pm

Puerlife wrote:I bought a 2009 Yin Zhen pu-erh bing from Teaspring several months ago. I think it was 36 bucks and they ran out and have replaced it with one from 2007 for $122 BUT KEPT ALL THE OLD REVIEWS. They have reviews going all the way back to 2005 for cakes that didn't exist yet? So Teaspring may have good tea but I will read the reviews with a grain of salt.
Be sure you take some salt with you to read my green tea reviews there from perhaps earlier than 2007. :mrgreen:

Nov 13th 13 4:02 am
Posts: 308
Joined: Aug 20th 13 12:58 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by Puerlife » Nov 13th 13 4:02 am

Chip wrote:
Puerlife wrote:I bought a 2009 Yin Zhen pu-erh bing from Teaspring several months ago. I think it was 36 bucks and they ran out and have replaced it with one from 2007 for $122 BUT KEPT ALL THE OLD REVIEWS. They have reviews going all the way back to 2005 for cakes that didn't exist yet? So Teaspring may have good tea but I will read the reviews with a grain of salt.
Be sure you take some salt with you to read my green tea reviews there from perhaps earlier than 2007. :mrgreen:
Haha, I think I'll save my salt and just read reviews I can find elsewhere, expecially here. :D

User avatar
Aug 8th 14 3:13 pm
Posts: 474
Joined: Jan 23rd 07 7:50 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by Evan Draper » Aug 8th 14 3:13 pm

Looks like their domain has expired. Hope they are not gone for good--that was where I directed all my Chinese tea newbs.

Aug 8th 14 3:27 pm
Posts: 319
Joined: Jun 30th 14 1:26 am

Re: TeaSpring "Official" Grn, Ool, Wh/Yel, Hrb Tea Topic

by daidokorocha » Aug 8th 14 3:27 pm

Ah, is that what happened? I tried going on teaspring earlier this morning and it just wouldn't load... That truly is a shame. I hadn't the opportunity to try their tea yet, but I was planning on soon.