Spam

Forum problem solving, rules, contact information


User avatar
Jun 28th, '07, 23:12
Posts: 146
Joined: Nov 3rd, '05, 21:36
Contact: rhpot1991

by rhpot1991 » Jun 28th, '07, 23:12

chip wrote: ...lol...yeah, they know their days are numbered for sure.

But some though annoying are rather funny. Like who in their right mind would give money and/or personal financial info to an internet investment company that spams forums. Or buy cigs from a shady Russian spammer (he even says he is in Russia).
They aren't doing it so much for our business, but to improve their search ranking. These forums get crawled by google (and I would assume other search bots too), so for each link they can get to somehow hang around (someone quotes it, it doesn't get deleted, etc.) then it helps them get higher in search ratings.

User avatar
Jun 29th, '07, 00:12
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Jun 29th, '07, 00:12

rhpot1991 wrote: They aren't doing it so much for our business, but to improve their search ranking. These forums get crawled by google (and I would assume other search bots too), so for each link they can get to somehow hang around (someone quotes it, it doesn't get deleted, etc.) then it helps them get higher in search ratings.
..true...
But still, so many shady internet businesses...

User avatar
Jun 29th, '07, 10:29
Posts: 476
Joined: Mar 23rd, '07, 10:32
Location: dirty Jersey.
Contact: xine

by xine » Jun 29th, '07, 10:29

Voting will end today, 3pm EST time!


I will count the votes and annouce the winner...at like 4pm. hehe.

User avatar
Jun 29th, '07, 15:00
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Jun 29th, '07, 15:00

...probably nothing...

I have had my vote in my out box as unread for several days now. Everyone I talk to has theirs in their sentbox. I was concerned maybe there was a glich or something???

But it says the message is "unread"...still in my "outbox"... :?:

User avatar
Jun 29th, '07, 15:32
Posts: 476
Joined: Mar 23rd, '07, 10:32
Location: dirty Jersey.
Contact: xine

by xine » Jun 29th, '07, 15:32

I kept all the votes as unread and will be going through them now-keeps me from counting more than one vote once.

User avatar
Jul 10th, '07, 17:51
Posts: 345
Joined: Apr 9th, '07, 15:31
Location: Texas
Contact: tomasini

by tomasini » Jul 10th, '07, 17:51

:shock: my life on this board will soon be no more...that Fuka Sencha Drinker Chips a mod

User avatar
Jul 10th, '07, 17:57
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Jul 10th, '07, 17:57

tomasini wrote::shock: my life on this board will soon be no more...that Fuka Sencha Drinker Chips a mod
*looks for ban member option* :wink:

User avatar
Jul 10th, '07, 18:08
Posts: 345
Joined: Apr 9th, '07, 15:31
Location: Texas
Contact: tomasini

by tomasini » Jul 10th, '07, 18:08

ahhh, it feels good to be back spam master =]

User avatar
Jul 10th, '07, 20:44
Posts: 343
Joined: Jul 8th, '07, 17:19
Location: Submerged in a good cuppa

by Eastree » Jul 10th, '07, 20:44

We have this ongoing problem on a forum I moderate. The admin set up a "Spam Net" forum to which an algorithm forwards posts fitting certain spam criteria.

We mods also have a "Del as Spam" button (we call it the Decimator xD) which automatically deletes flood spams every post, and bans the user in one shot.

It's just a thought.

Ahh, yea ... I'm the pLOLice over there xD

User avatar
Jul 10th, '07, 20:54
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Jul 10th, '07, 20:54

Eastree wrote:We have this ongoing problem on a forum I moderate. The admin set up a "Spam Net" forum to which an algorithm forwards posts fitting certain spam criteria.

We mods also have a "Del as Spam" button (we call it the Decimator xD) which automatically deletes flood spams every post, and bans the user in one shot.

It's just a thought.

Ahh, yea ... I'm the pLOLice over there xD
Yeah, we are just starting this. Not sure if ours is capable of all those automatic functions. I hope it prevents the worst of the worst spam from ever hurting our eyes ever again. Thanx for your input. I will have to see if the abuser is also getting the boot automatically, that would be great.

+ Post Reply