User avatar
Aug 11th, '15, 06:48
Posts: 1424
Joined: Oct 5th, '09
Location: UK

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by Alex » Aug 11th, '15, 06:48

Its strange. I can't see how its an age mistake either. You can check you pots by shining a bright torch down the spout and looking inside the pot.

The base of the spout simply doesn't have the same large "pouch" area behind the filter that most Kyusu have and what you end up with in some case is the filter literally as wide as the spout. Something that might be alright with an oolong or something but sucks for Japanese teas. Its such a big oversight but again I think these models are what's left and probably what's left for that reason. :?

Aug 14th, '15, 23:30
Posts: 55
Joined: Nov 12th, '14
Location: Seattle

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by jpo1933 » Aug 14th, '15, 23:30

Looks like he's put up a few more
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokoname-Shudei ... 2805a5d9bc
310 ml $900 :D deals
And a cool mogake piece
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokoname-Hand-m ... 2805b1426a
$200
I guess he's really clearing out some of Gisui's old stock of kyusu :o

User avatar
Aug 15th, '15, 00:06
Posts: 298
Joined: Jul 10th, '15
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by Frisbeehead » Aug 15th, '15, 00:06

jpo1933 wrote:Looks like he's put up a few more
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokoname-Shudei ... 2805a5d9bc
310 ml $900 :D deals
And a cool mogake piece
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokoname-Hand-m ... 2805b1426a
$200
I guess he's really clearing out some of Gisui's old stock of kyusu :o
$900, wow. Was it crafted by a renowned artist?

I recently learned shudei is the Japanese term for zhuni clay (red clay). So that could be a factor too, considering zhuni/shudei clay is hard to find (from what I've heard, at least).

Aug 15th, '15, 15:35
Posts: 55
Joined: Nov 12th, '14
Location: Seattle

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by jpo1933 » Aug 15th, '15, 15:35

I think relative to other Tokoname potters, he's relatively well known. But what you're really paying for mostly for the 300 ml one is the waka engravings on the side of the pot by a calligrapher.
I don't think comparing it to zini is the best comparison. I'm no expert like a like of people on the forum on Chinese clays, but in my mind there really is no Japanese clay equivalent of Zini/Zhuni. I think it would closer to compare it shudei with hong ni. Aesthetically, and in mineral content(both high in iron, and i'm sure in other aspects). Zini tends to have a "sandier" consistency to it as,well.

In terms of rarity... since there isn't much about hon shudei in English, all I've really heard is that Gisui is the only potter still around still using the clay. Due to changes in crop-rotation techniques, taking that specific variety of clay from rice paddies was no longer viable. And so the clay disappeared. Again, this is all I've ever heard and read about it( and from one vendor unfortunately :? ) so there may be more to this then changes in agri.
Hopefully this helps a bit. I'm unfortunately a noob still to all of this :mrgreen:

User avatar
Aug 15th, '15, 22:59
Posts: 298
Joined: Jul 10th, '15
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by Frisbeehead » Aug 15th, '15, 22:59

jpo1933 wrote:I think relative to other Tokoname potters, he's relatively well known. But what you're really paying for mostly for the 300 ml one is the waka engravings on the side of the pot by a calligrapher.
I don't think comparing it to zini is the best comparison. I'm no expert like a like of people on the forum on Chinese clays, but in my mind there really is no Japanese clay equivalent of Zini/Zhuni. I think it would closer to compare it shudei with hong ni. Aesthetically, and in mineral content(both high in iron, and i'm sure in other aspects). Zini tends to have a "sandier" consistency to it as,well.

In terms of rarity... since there isn't much about hon shudei in English, all I've really heard is that Gisui is the only potter still around still using the clay. Due to changes in crop-rotation techniques, taking that specific variety of clay from rice paddies was no longer viable. And so the clay disappeared. Again, this is all I've ever heard and read about it( and from one vendor unfortunately :? ) so there may be more to this then changes in agri.
Hopefully this helps a bit. I'm unfortunately a noob still to all of this :mrgreen:
After reading your post, I felt that this article would be relevant:

http://hojotea.com/en/posts-15/

Hojo discusses shudei and zhuni clay.

User avatar
Mar 10th, '16, 23:27
Posts: 789
Joined: May 2nd, '10
Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio USA

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by BioHorn » Mar 10th, '16, 23:27

Beautiful little 200ml Gisui pearskin kyusu for sale ($180) on eBay. This clay is just lovely and like butter in the hand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172123267619

User avatar
Mar 26th, '16, 06:19
Posts: 720
Joined: Jan 5th, '13

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by Teaism » Mar 26th, '16, 06:19

Ahhh! :D

Pot no #09 Gisui Kyusu 9 Honshudei engraved sanjyurokkasen 36 poems finally made its appearance here:

http://teaism99.com/2016/03/26/36-poems/

Cheers! :D

User avatar
Mar 26th, '16, 22:12
Posts: 206
Joined: Feb 9th, '16
Location: California

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by stevorama » Mar 26th, '16, 22:12

That calligraphy is gorgeous!

User avatar
Apr 4th, '16, 00:06
Posts: 789
Joined: May 2nd, '10
Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio USA

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by BioHorn » Apr 4th, '16, 00:06

Teaism wrote:Ahhh! :D

Pot no #09 Gisui Kyusu 9 Honshudei engraved sanjyurokkasen 36 poems finally made its appearance here:

http://teaism99.com/2016/03/26/36-poems/

Cheers! :D
Thank you. That one was such a true sublime work of art! Glad to see it in the hands of someone who appreciates and reveals it to us. Thank you!

So many poems about sound. Fascinating! Sounds like this must have been a personal favorite of his.

User avatar
Apr 4th, '16, 00:20
Posts: 789
Joined: May 2nd, '10
Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio USA

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by BioHorn » Apr 4th, '16, 00:20

A number (5) of other Gisui Shudei (36,37,38) pots have come up. Some nice sizes and shapes (130-180ml) $170-250 plus shipping

TokonameJp eBay seller


Gisui36:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokoname-Shudei ... 2057575105

Gisui38:
Love this one, 130ml:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokoname-Shudei ... 2058594510


This clay is something special.

Also gisui22:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokoname-Shudei ... 2044648180

+ Post Reply