NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

Artisan Teaware Special Offer Program

Feb 26th, '15, 10:24
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: NEW Tokoname SO #1, Gisui Kyusu NEW

by Chip » Feb 26th, '15, 10:24

Alex wrote:Got mine.Instant love at first touch. I've never owned a tall pot before and didn't realize quite what a big difference that shape makes. Sencha didnt even really touch the screen on all 3 brews. Will try it with Fuka later

Mine has a finger print! I very full one in the exact spot on your original Chip. Its either intentional or he's left handed and it happens when he's signing the pots (irony) with his right thumb resting in that spot.

However the amount of rotation of the print looks too weird to be from this. So I'm going for intentional.....plus I like that story better :lol:

I guess we'll never know.

Will get some pictures up. Its got a much more dinky look to it in real life which adds to its details. The picture makes it look far bigger. A truly incredible pot and an utter steal for the price. I hope it doesnt spark a TAD wave of looking for tall pots. :oops:
GREAT! And glad you love it.

This is also why I like taller kyusu-s, particularly for fuka!!! The pot wall itself takes the brunt of the screening before the leaves hit the screen.

Feb 26th, '15, 11:10

by PurplePotato » Feb 26th, '15, 11:10

Got my pot, and just lost my longer comment about it. Maybe I'll say something elegant about it tomorrow. Guess what color it is :lol:

Feb 26th, '15, 11:38

by Alex » Feb 26th, '15, 11:38

PurplePotato wrote:Got my pot, and just lost my longer comment about it. Maybe I'll say something elegant about it tomorrow. Guess what color it is :lol:

Did you get the pink one? AKA "The Ghibli"

Here's the finger print Chip in all its glory.
IMG_1525.JPG
IMG_1525.JPG (14.25 KiB) Viewed 2826 times

Feb 26th, '15, 12:12

by AT333 » Feb 26th, '15, 12:12

All the pots are really fabulous and I am green with envy. :mrgreen: And some of them will attract more curiosity with extra details like fingerprint etc. Pot no 10 has curious dark patch at the bottom. I wonder if it is intentional too like the fingerprint. I guess that's what make every pot so unique and wabi sabi. Congratulations to all successful bidder. I am really green with envy. :mrgreen:

G.Smith

Feb 26th, '15, 17:15

by Peacock » Feb 26th, '15, 17:15

I received the honshudei mogake #4, and what really stunned me was how proportioned the pot is to it's size. I assume that it must be difficult to make pots smaller and keep everything nicely balanced, and this pot is perfect! The lid has some wonderful swirls underneath that I like to trace with my fingers.

However, mine is not nearly as small as this one.

http://www.tokoname.or.jp/teapot/gisui01.htm

Feb 26th, '15, 23:57

by pizzapotamus » Feb 26th, '15, 23:57

Received mine today as well. Unfortunately I'm currently lacking in the camera department.

First impressions though,

It's great!

Alex was right that the feel really is something. Obviously the flecks in this clay result in texture, both from the flecks themselves and the grooves they've made as the pot was turned, but it's otherwise very smooth, almost soft, and the hand flows right over it(not that I sit sit around stroking my precious.....err teapots....)

I was also a bit surprised at the size, of course I read the specs so I "knew" the size and that this would be my smallest kyusu. However there's no sense of scale in the pictures so it doesn't really hit home.

Lid fits perfectly and water will not flow if I cover the hole with my finger.

I still don't think I'd have the best luck with a fukamushi in this pot but my first brew in it was some kabusecha that I'm nearing the end of and as such what was left was rather broken up and it didn't give me any problems. Looking forward to trying it out with Xell's discount premium sencha and gyokuro once they arrive.

Either no finger print or the barest outline of one down and to the right about one inch from the signature. I'll have to look in other lighting but I'm leaning towards it doesn't exist outside of my imagination.

Feb 27th, '15, 03:18

by PurplePotato » Feb 27th, '15, 03:18

Alex wrote:Did you get the pink one? AKA "The Ghibli"
I had to google that. I'm guessing you're talking about the Miyazaki studio and not the sportscar :lol:. Now I'm fantasizing about a teapot with Totoro on it. Don't judge :lol:

But yeah, you're right. Some observations:
1. The pink looks smooth from the pictures, but there's faint circles all around the pot for the close observer. And on the bottom an obvious whirlpool-like swirl.
2. It feels bit awkward to pour the pot with one hand. But that was the case at first with some other pots; now I feel like I can pour them with both arms tied behind my back :wink:
3. I'm really curious how the pink will stain. I wonder if I'll be able to let the tea-stains do their thing, as I do in a wabi-sabi-like fashion with other pots, or if I'll be compelled to polish.
4. From the sound of the lid on the pot, this is the highest fired pot I own. Which may just say more about my little pot collection than anything.
5. The design on the pot points away from me when I brew/pour, so clearly I should be using this pot with guests.

Feb 27th, '15, 04:55

by Alex » Feb 27th, '15, 04:55

Yeah Studio Ghibli!

And I've already looked for Pots with totoro on. There are porcelain ones but no clay.

Love Studio Ghibli....that's why my dog is called Ponyo. :mrgreen:

Feb 27th, '15, 11:47

by Fuut » Feb 27th, '15, 11:47

Alex wrote:Yeah Studio Ghibli!

And I've already looked for Pots with totoro on. There are porcelain ones but no clay.

Love Studio Ghibli....that's why my dog is called Ponyo. :mrgreen:
`
Ah yes! I really reminded me of spirited away for some reason. But indeed, totally Ghibli!

Mar 10th, '15, 12:04

by Fuut » Mar 10th, '15, 12:04

It took a while but number 8 finally arrived today 8)

Mar 10th, '15, 12:15

by AT333 » Mar 10th, '15, 12:15

Fuut wrote:It took a while but number 8 finally arrived today 8)

Yahooooo! :mrgreen:

Mar 10th, '15, 12:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 10th, '15, 12:25

............ slowww boat .........

:mrgreen:

Mar 10th, '15, 12:33

by Fuut » Mar 10th, '15, 12:33

Chip wrote:............ slowww boat .........

:mrgreen:
Haha it wasn't a problem and i purposefully used SAL instead of EMS, no extra costs this time:)

Mar 13th, '15, 04:03

by Alex » Mar 13th, '15, 04:03

One thing I will say about my pot is I noticed the pour isnt as fast as it should be. I shined a light down the spout to find only 12 of the holes were operational. And the remaining 16 were covered when the spout was attached to the body. This is quite common with Gisui direct filter pots thought. I have a friend with the exact same model as mine and his has 13 holes that are covered with clay.

Pot still functions well though. 8)

Mar 13th, '15, 06:07

by TuoChaTea » Mar 13th, '15, 06:07

I envy you, guys, for all those beatuies you got. Unfortunately, I noticed only few days back, that there were an SO. Since I like the pink pot the most and Toru had a similar one, I will be getting a Gisui, too :-)

Enjoy your new kyusus and let they serve you for a long, long time.

+ Post Reply