The Tea Gallery, Small Gaiwan, AdamMY

Member reiviews of teaware related products.

Jun 17th, '10, 11:01

Re: The Tea Gallery, Small Gaiwan, AdamMY

by nickE » Jun 17th, '10, 11:01

Hmm, my only guess for the idea of a purposefully tippy gaiwan is that it somehow regulates how much water can be in at one time. To be specific, the gaiwan will tilt just enough to allow a certain amount of water to be held, then the rest will spill to the saucer.

Doesn't seem particularly useful to me but that's my best guess.

In regards to the idea that a tippy base provides less suction, I've found it to be quite the opposite. When an air pocket is left between the cup and saucer, any water that spills is likely to cause more suction to occur. At least that's what I've found.

It is still a nice gaiwan, although I usually use it sans-saucer nowadays. However, I would like to have known about this feature before buying it.

Jun 17th, '10, 12:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jun 17th, '10, 12:39

I iz "no one?" :cry:

Jun 19th, '10, 03:00

by Maitre_Tea » Jun 19th, '10, 03:00

Jun 19th, '10, 15:26

by Victoria » Jun 19th, '10, 15:26

So Geek is correct! :)

Jun 19th, '10, 20:59

by guitar9876 » Jun 19th, '10, 20:59

Yeah ask Tim for the tea! Apparently it's higher quality than his top TKY on his site. :shock:

Jun 20th, '10, 20:05

by nickE » Jun 20th, '10, 20:05

Thank you to the Tea Gallery for the blog post regarding this subject.

However, I still find that the tippy base creates suction instead of deterring it.

Here's a pic I snapped today with the gaiwan & saucer hovering around 4 inches off the table. Sorry about the bad focus.

Jun 20th, '10, 22:01
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jun 20th, '10, 22:01

NickE-Sorry to see that flying saucer picture....
Do you mind sharing or taking a pic. how much water was in that saucer? Meanwhile chatters who owned one could do a show-and-tell of how much water needed to create such an unwanted sight ( I will take a pic. This week). At least then we know if you got a defected gaiwan and demand a refund. Or just refund and better luck finding a better one.

As Victoria pointed out, Geek is the closest to the answer. Please pm me your address and package will be send. If that's ok with you Geekgirl :wink:

Jun 21st, '10, 00:27

by nickE » Jun 21st, '10, 00:27

TIM wrote:NickE-Sorry to see that flying saucer picture....
Flying saucer :lol: That's punny.
TIM wrote: Do you mind sharing or taking a pic. how much water was in that saucer?
I find that I have no suction problems when the saucer is either dry or filled with water. When it is just slightly wet is when the suction occurs. Rather easily, too, I'm afraid.

If other TCers want to "experiment" with this gaiwan's suction, I'd recommend filling the saucer with water, then pouring it out. That seems to leave the right amount of water for suction to occur (for my gaiwan).

I'm not sure if my gaiwan is a defect, but I don't really feel entitled to a refund. The gaiwan is lovely in every other way besides the base problems previously discussed.

Jun 21st, '10, 00:45

by Chip » Jun 21st, '10, 00:45

Hmmm, a notch in the foot such as is common with Hagi cups would alleviate the suction problem. :idea:

Jun 21st, '10, 13:58

by Geekgirl » Jun 21st, '10, 13:58

TIM wrote:

As Victoria pointed out, Geek is the closest to the answer. Please pm me your address and package will be send. If that's ok with you Geekgirl :wink:
Fabulous, I'm certainly not complaining about high-q sample of my favorite type of tea! :mrgreen:

Jun 21st, '10, 14:02

by Geekgirl » Jun 21st, '10, 14:02

So, because I'm a little bit, um... cuckoo? I tested my other gaiwan, and find that all of them will suction just a tiny bit, but not enough to actually lift the saucer, (except for that Teavana one,) They all have a reasonably level fit in the saucer, they don't feel tippy. Interesting.

Tim, with the dragon gaiwan set you have on your tearoom offer, are these tippy? or do they sit somewhat evenly in the saucer? Now I'm curious. I don't think I've paid more than $20 for a gaiwan, and wonder if the symmetry of my bowls/saucers is a product of mass (molded?) production.

Jun 21st, '10, 14:18
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jun 21st, '10, 14:18

Geekgirl wrote:So, because I'm a little bit, um... cuckoo? I tested my other gaiwan, and find that all of them will suction just a tiny bit, but not enough to actually lift the saucer, (except for that Teavana one,) They all have a reasonably level fit in the saucer, they don't feel tippy. Interesting.

Tim, with the dragon gaiwan set you have on your tearoom offer, are these tippy? or do they sit somewhat evenly in the saucer? Now I'm curious. I don't think I've paid more than $20 for a gaiwan, and wonder if the symmetry of my bowls/saucers is a product of mass (molded?) production.
Geekgirl - They are the same as Michael's medium size qaiwan. From NickE's view, it could consider a bit "Tippy" :lol:

Still need your address dear Geekgirl for sening the goodies : ) PM me please.

~T

Jun 21st, '10, 14:27

by Geekgirl » Jun 21st, '10, 14:27

timing. :) I sent you pm right a few minutes ago. Really? like visibly tippy? or do they just wobble slightly? Is this typical of higher quality gaiwan?

Ugh, just lost control of my OCD. I'm making a video. Stay tuned. I don't believe some of us are on the same page in the definition of "tippy."

edit#2: turns out, my 7D makes REALLY BIG vid files. - 28 minutes to upload to youtube. Hold please...

Jun 21st, '10, 15:20
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jun 21st, '10, 15:20

Geekgirl wrote:timing. :) I sent you pm right a few minutes ago. Really? like visibly tippy? or do they just wobble slightly? Is this typical of higher quality gaiwan?

Ugh, just lost control of my OCD. I'm making a video. Stay tuned. I don't believe some of us are on the same page in the definition of "tippy."

edit#2: turns out, my 7D makes REALLY BIG vid files. - 28 minutes to upload to youtube. Hold please...
Thanks Geekgirl. Got PM :D

Jun 21st, '10, 16:16

by Geekgirl » Jun 21st, '10, 16:16

tippy vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iZDUuzQiQA

How does this compare with what everyone else is describing?

Gaiwan #2 and #4 (same make in different colors, clearly,) sit more with the flare of the gaiwan resting on the flare of the saucer, rather than foot in saucer ring. The rest sit directly on the foot in the saucer ring.

+ Post Reply