4 Signs of a Real Yixing Teapot

Have a Tea Blog or Tea Vlog? Post a topic here.

Oct 11th, '18, 18:41
Vendor Member

4 Signs of a Real Yixing Teapot

by oolongtimenosee » Oct 11th, '18, 18:41

Besides the texture and color of the clay, there are 4 kinds of ‘imperfections’ which can be found on true zisha. Read about it on our latest blog post:
https://www.mudandleaves.com/blog/4-sig ... ing-teapot

Oct 12th, '18, 01:52

Re: 4 Signs of a Real Yixing Teapot

by carmeloneo » Oct 12th, '18, 01:52

Also the signs of impure Yixing clay :D

Oct 12th, '18, 14:07
Vendor Member

by oolongtimenosee » Oct 12th, '18, 14:07

carmeloneo wrote: Also the signs of impure Yixing clay :D
Sounds like you didn't read the article.

Oct 16th, '18, 03:38

by 12Tea » Oct 16th, '18, 03:38

So if none of these signs are there, it would mean the teapot is 100% fake?
If all the 4 signs are there, it would mean the teapot is for sure real?
I'm trying to understand what conclusions I can draw.

Oct 16th, '18, 21:16

by carmeloneo » Oct 16th, '18, 21:16

oolongtimenosee wrote:
Yes, this is the performance f Yixing clay, but it has probability to happen, and as I know some clay not from Yixing city has also these signs. So I think your analysis is right, But we can't judge the real Yixing clay only from these signs.
You eliminate the misunderstand that teapots are defective if they have these 4 signs, I think it's a very good article.

Oct 17th, '18, 10:01
Vendor Member

by oolongtimenosee » Oct 17th, '18, 10:01

carmeloneo wrote:
oolongtimenosee wrote:
Yes, this is the performance f Yixing clay, but it has probability to happen, and as I know some clay not from Yixing city has also these signs. So I think your analysis is right, But we can't judge the real Yixing clay only from these signs.
You eliminate the misunderstand that teapots are defective if they have these 4 signs, I think it's a very good article.
You are right of course that there are other things to look for if you're judging an Yixing teapot, but these 4 signs are a rough guide. If you know what these 4 things look like you won't be fooled by the fake zisha clay in the market as these are difficult to fake convincingly. As the blog post states, "there are a number of signs or ‘imperfections’ that can be looked for to indicate the authenticity of an Yixing Teapot. "

You may not be able to see the tiaosha, baozi, tierong and mica all together, but they are signs to look for if you are not sure if a pot is made of real zisha. Tierong is harder to find on teapots fired at a lower temperature. Zhuni has very little tierong compared to high-fired zini for example.

Mica spotting and Tierong are present in pure zisha clay. The processing of the clay and the temperature of the kiln will determine how visible they are in the finished teapot.

+ Post Reply