Kyarazen on Tea/Incense.

Have a Tea Blog or Tea Vlog? Post a topic here.

Dec 16th, '16, 22:24
Vendor Member

Re: Kyarazen on Tea/Incense.

by ethan » Dec 16th, '16, 22:24

jayinhk wrote:There's also nothing quite like good Wuyicha...if you want to drink the good stuff, it gets expensive. I was supposed to fly to Fuzhou earlier this year, but got sick and couldn't go. :(
Jay,

If you fly, you will buy. Once you have paid for the travel, not to buy some tea is almost unthinkable.

Being vendors & to an extent tea gurus, you Jay & kyarazen have greater impetus to buy expensive tea & to experience drinking the best tea.

Dec 16th, '16, 22:49

by kyarazen » Dec 16th, '16, 22:49

ethan wrote:
jayinhk wrote:There's also nothing quite like good Wuyicha...if you want to drink the good stuff, it gets expensive. I was supposed to fly to Fuzhou earlier this year, but got sick and couldn't go. :(
Jay,

If you fly, you will buy. Once you have paid for the travel, not to buy some tea is almost unthinkable.

Being vendors & to an extent tea gurus, you Jay & kyarazen have greater impetus to buy expensive tea & to experience drinking the best tea.
Not a guru and not a tea vendor. I dont have time to pack tea.
Fly and buy are distinct and unrelated. I'm not interested in the most expensive tea. Only the truest teas.

Dec 17th, '16, 00:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 17th, '16, 00:30

Definitely no tea guru (seen my teapots thread? lol), just a small time vendor!

Dec 17th, '16, 01:38
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 17th, '16, 01:38

February 1989 I was at Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwe side. Border guards blocked the bridge over water to another country, ,Zambia, but citizens of the UK & Commonwealth nations were allowed over free after a quick glance at their passports. I, an American, needed to pay a visa fee. (If I remember correctly it was US$30, perhaps only $20). I was angry. The UK had left those countries broke, but its citizens had free entry. The USA had not exploited those countries & was probably giving them foreign aid, but Amerians had to pay to enter. That seemed unfair.

I did not pay for a visa; I did not enjoy a full look at Victoria Falls. I will never have another chance. Later, I thought that was stupid of me. I had spent a thousand dollars to get to Africa & was too annoyed & cheap to spend.....

Wiser now, if I was in Wuyi after spending a lot of $ & time to get there & tasted some delicious unique tea, I would buy some even if it were overpriced. Extra $ would not be so much extra in relation to the amount of $ etc. already spent . Of course, I or you, kyarazen, or Jay, would not buy tea just because it is expensive.

Jay & kyarazen,. you write about tea & people pay attention to you enough to buy from you or from people you direct them to; thus, you have a following = you are a guru in quotation marks to an extent. "Guru" does not = guru w/o the quotation marks. We know you don't promote yourselves nor think of yourselves as gurus.

On the other hand, a phrase like "truthful tea" could open guru-style discussions.

Dec 17th, '16, 08:21

by kyarazen » Dec 17th, '16, 08:21

ethan wrote:February 1989 I was at Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwe side. Border guards blocked the bridge over water to another country, ,Zambia, but citizens of the UK & Commonwealth nations were allowed over free after a quick glance at their passports. I, an American, needed to pay a visa fee. (If I remember correctly it was US$30, perhaps only $20). I was angry. The UK had left those countries broke, but its citizens had free entry. The USA had not exploited those countries & was probably giving them foreign aid, but Amerians had to pay to enter. That seemed unfair.

I did not pay for a visa; I did not enjoy a full look at Victoria Falls. I will never have another chance. Later, I thought that was stupid of me. I had spent a thousand dollars to get to Africa & was too annoyed & cheap to spend.....

Wiser now, if I was in Wuyi after spending a lot of $ & time to get there & tasted some delicious unique tea, I would buy some even if it were overpriced. Extra $ would not be so much extra in relation to the amount of $ etc. already spent . Of course, I or you, kyarazen, or Jay, would not buy tea just because it is expensive.

Jay & kyarazen,. you write about tea & people pay attention to you enough to buy from you or from people you direct them to; thus, you have a following = you are a guru in quotation marks to an extent. "Guru" does not = guru w/o the quotation marks. We know you don't promote yourselves nor think of yourselves as gurus.

On the other hand, a phrase like "truthful tea" could open guru-style discussions.

and your point being?!... i pursue the truest tea, and i'm clear about that, it is "my pursuit".
you or anyone can pursue anything you like so wouldnt I be free to do so without any of your insinuations or "connotations?"

Dec 17th, '16, 08:36
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 17th, '16, 08:36

He's not trying to insult you. :D He's saying he wants to talk about true teas!

Dec 17th, '16, 10:50
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 17th, '16, 10:50

jayinhk wrote:He's not trying to insult you. :D He's saying he wants to talk about true teas!
Thanks for defending & explaining me, Jay. It seems my story which was supposed to illustrate how value for $ & relative cost vs. price alone, was disliked by our fellow tea-lover.

kyarazen, you infer what I do not imply. No mean-spirited anything (sarcasm, whatever) to be read between the lines when I post, only the lines. I think friendly spirit & good-natured humor is apparent but obviously you are unable or unwilling to perceive it. If the writing is unclear, why would you choose to look for a nasty interpretation of it? You are being unkind to yourself as well as me.

Anyway, you have been clear.

I try to be kind, I promise not respond to your posts as you wish.

Dec 17th, '16, 11:45

by kyarazen » Dec 17th, '16, 11:45

ethan wrote:
jayinhk wrote:He's not trying to insult you. :D He's saying he wants to talk about true teas!
Thanks for defending & explaining me, Jay. It seems my story which was supposed to illustrate how value for $ & relative cost vs. price alone, was disliked by our fellow tea-lover.

kyarazen, you infer what I do not imply. No mean-spirited anything (sarcasm, whatever) to be read between the lines when I post, only the lines. I think friendly spirit & good-natured humor is apparent but obviously you are unable or unwilling to perceive it. If the writing is unclear, why would you choose to look for a nasty interpretation of it? You are being unkind to yourself as well as me.

Anyway, you have been clear.

I try to be kind, I promise not respond to your posts as you wish.
keep to your promise then, and put your stories into a place that is more apt.
i'm very kind to myself not to waste time on trolling on forums nor spending them on trolls usually.

this is a place where i post updates on my research and writings, not for friendly spirits and humor.
but well, since this forum is public, not owned by me, i guess forum rules are never strict, but human behaviour can be civil.

cheers.

Apr 28th, '17, 22:48

by victoria3 » Apr 28th, '17, 22:48

I have enjoyed reading your 3 part series on Wuyi Cliff Tea kyarazen. Lots of very interesting information, with depth and also a pleasant lightness to your narrative. While reading the first part, I managed to get a truly crappy Wuyi rock tea from a local shop in Annapolis, and later while reading part 2 I got another subpar rock tea. Both were like drinking burnt wood. Today most appropriately, Origin Tea, via Ferg, came to the rescue with an amazingly complex rich sweet broth (appropriate because it was Origin that got me hooked on oolongs in the first place).

Origin's 2004 Wuyi Hui Yuan Nei GuiDong (FengFeKeng) Tie LuoHan.
Since I can't ask Tony I revisited your text and have so far identified in the name that;
Wuyi Hui Yuan = the region
Tie Luohan ("Iron Warrior Monk") is the varietal & your #8 Naming by legend
I haven't come up with a translation of/meaning of Nei GuiDong (FengFeKeng) must be 2-7 on your list :D

Thanks Again for an interesting read that is acting as a gateway towards China.

Apr 29th, '17, 11:33

by kyarazen » Apr 29th, '17, 11:33

victoria3 wrote: I have enjoyed reading your 3 part series on Wuyi Cliff Tea kyarazen. Lots of very interesting information, with depth and also a pleasant lightness to your narrative. While reading the first part, I managed to get a truly crappy Wuyi rock tea from a local shop in Annapolis, and later while reading part 2 I got another subpar rock tea. Both were like drinking burnt wood. Today most appropriately, Origin Tea, via Ferg, came to the rescue with an amazingly complex rich sweet broth (appropriate because it was Origin that got me hooked on oolongs in the first place).

Since I can't ask Tony I revisited your text and have so far identified in the name that;
I haven't come up with a translation of/meaning of Nei GuiDong (FengFeKeng) must be 2-7 on your list :D

hmm. possibly a tieluohan cultivar from Guidong that was planted in Hui Yuan in the region of (Feng Fe Keng?<--do you haz the chinese words for this? its not one of the major "kengs" in the region).

Guidong or Ghost Cave is a super cool place and the real tea from this exact location is quite untouchable, its not about money, the supply's too little! heard that wisteria's zhouyu was treated to a brew of ghost cave's tieluohan the last time he went up.

the ghost cave is actually not a ghost cave, it is just a narrow "valley" zone bordered by Dao Shui keng (reverse flow crevice) , Huo yan feng (fiery peak) , hui yuan keng, yin zui yan (eagle beak cliff). it can be divided into "inner and outer" zones, and the narrow valley appears to allow only for single direction wind flow, and the compression of the air through this valley leads to ghostly howling, so the name. Ghost Cave/Hole.

Ghost cave is the origin spot for the cultivar of tie luohan and baijiguan. subsequently these cultivars were transplanted all over different regions in the wuyi mountains.

thats pretty cool that you have a sample of yancha from 2004. the quality should be pretty good, and at the past 10 year mark, the "yun wei" 韵味 would be at its prime.

amongst the wuyi tea farmers/factory owners/tea pple, there's a perspective/opinion put forth that yanchas not like pu-erh, there's an optimal peak for yancha in the storage/aging phase, before the quality recedes rather steeply.

Apr 29th, '17, 13:53

by Ferg » Apr 29th, '17, 13:53

kyarazen wrote:
hmm. possibly a tieluohan cultivar from Guidong that was planted in Hui Yuan in the region of (Feng Fe Keng?<--do you haz the chinese words for this? its not one of the major "kengs" in the region).
kz, it was denoted as a 2004 Wuyi HuiYuan NeiGuiDong (FengFeKeng) Tie Luo Han - 武夷慧苑內鬼洞鐵羅漢.

Apr 29th, '17, 15:55

by puyuan » Apr 29th, '17, 15:55

Those aged yancha he sold were, on average, really good. I liked the 状元红 and "shuixian king" in particular, but sadly never got to try the whole stash. Don't even want to think how much the direct price in TW is right now, if available...

Apr 29th, '17, 20:17

by victoria3 » Apr 29th, '17, 20:17

kyarazen wrote:
victoria3 wrote: I have enjoyed reading your 3 part series on Wuyi Cliff Tea kyarazen. Lots of very interesting information, with depth and also a pleasant lightness to your narrative. While reading the first part, I managed to get a truly crappy Wuyi rock tea from a local shop in Annapolis, and later while reading part 2 I got another subpar rock tea. Both were like drinking burnt wood. Today most appropriately, Origin Tea, via Ferg, came to the rescue with an amazingly complex rich sweet broth (appropriate because it was Origin that got me hooked on oolongs in the first place).

Guidong or Ghost Cave is a super cool place and the real tea from this exact location is quite untouchable, its not about money, the supply's too little! heard that wisteria's zhouyu was treated to a brew of ghost cave's tieluohan the last time he went up.

the ghost cave is actually not a ghost cave, it is just a narrow "valley" zone bordered by Dao Shui keng (reverse flow crevice) , Huo yan feng (fiery peak) , hui yuan keng, yin zui yan (eagle beak cliff). it can be divided into "inner and outer" zones, and the narrow valley appears to allow only for single direction wind flow, and the compression of the air through this valley leads to ghostly howling, so the name. Ghost Cave/Hole.

Ghost cave is the origin spot for the cultivar of tie luohan and baijiguan. subsequently these cultivars were transplanted all over different regions in the wuyi mountains.

thats pretty cool that you have a sample of yancha from 2004. the quality should be pretty good, and at the past 10 year mark, the "yun wei" 韵味 would be at its prime.

amongst the wuyi tea farmers/factory owners/tea pple, there's a perspective/opinion put forth that yanchas not like pu-erh, there's an optimal peak for yancha in the storage/aging phase, before the quality recedes rather steeply.
Poetic story telling embedded to the earth and sky. Thank you. Wrapping my head around the terminology so your text and further explanation is great. I have 3.5 grams more so will savor it even more, although the first round was already stellar :D

+ Post Reply