Burdock Root

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Feb 27th, '11, 01:29

Burdock Root

by auhckw » Feb 27th, '11, 01:29

What Are the Benefits of Burdock Root?
http://www.ehow.com/about_5042349_benef ... -root.html

Burdock root is a purifying herb that can be used to support the cleansing properties of the liver and kidneys. It serves as a blood purifier and helps to remove harmful toxins from the body. Often, it is used during a body cleansing to support detoxification.

Benefits
Burdock can be used to help you rid your body of harmful toxins. It contains an oil that will increase your perspiration and expel toxins. The root is mostly made up of fructo-olio-saccharides, or FOS, which are complex carbohydrates. These carbohydrates will increase the beneficial bacterium in your body, which eliminates the bacteria related to disease. The carbohydrates will also help to balance your sugar levels if you suffer from hyperglycemia, stimulate your immune system and suppress abnormal cell growth in your body. Burdock can also be used to cleanse your body because of its ability to support the liver and aid the kidneys in purifying your blood.

Side Effects
Burdock has the potential to cause damage to fetuses and small children. Don't use burdock if you are pregnant or nursing. Also, if you are allergic to ragweed or similar plants, it's likely you may be allergic to burdock. The diuretic effects of burdock tend to dehydrate the body, and should not be used if you are already suffering from dehydration. Also, burdock lowers blood sugar and is unsafe for diabetics on medication. Use burdock sparingly. Large amounts may be unsafe.

Feb 27th, '11, 01:30

Re: Burdock Root

by auhckw » Feb 27th, '11, 01:30

Taste and smells quite nice. Has the herbal taste and sweetness. This to me is love upon first time tasting, maybe because I like herbal soup.

Mar 12th, '11, 11:04

by chamomileteaguy » Mar 12th, '11, 11:04

Looks very interesting, thanks for the informative post. Looks like it would have almost an earthy taste to it. What (if anything) would you say it tastes like? Love the way its looks with the few big chunks floating in water :)

Apr 30th, '11, 23:02

by fewture » Apr 30th, '11, 23:02

I think Burdock is an amazing herb/root.

I have been using it for digestion help and its been the only thing which really settles my stomach (and I have tried EVERYTHING!).

I also get a nice feeling of well being when I drink it and I can feel chi more intensely in my kidneys (so it must be doing some thing good for them!)

Its also a great tasting drink. Such a good herb!!

Mar 15th, '12, 16:03

by AlexZorach » Mar 15th, '12, 16:03

This is pretty interesting to me...burdock grows wild all over the place near where I grew up (South-central PA) and I have read about and heard people talk about its various uses, but have never tried it.

Now I'm intrigued!

+ Post Reply