What herbal tea are you drinking today?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Oct 5th, '15, 12:28
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: What herbal tea are you drinking today?

by Chip » Oct 5th, '15, 12:28

debunix wrote:And Chip, how do you make your ginger tea?
I do not seem to have time to prepare fresh ginger tea, so I purchased some pure ginger (nothing added) teabags from the natural foods store where I shop. I started to drink ginger tea along with some other oddities for digestion based upon some research I was doing on GERD/ARD. It is now part of my routine ...

I will look for alternative methods to make it including fresh.

Oct 5th, '15, 12:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 5th, '15, 12:40

Some background ...

As I age, heartburn progressed to ARD progressed into GERD ... and I was on a Nexium/Prilosec rollercoaster along with things like Mylanta and Tums ... but I felt like all rollercoasters, they do go down overall ... felt like I was in a losing war.

Plus I really did not feel good about the above treatment options!!! Nor the spotty results.

I did research and have been taking natural stomach enzymes before meals. Also for spot treatment. Brand name Enzymedica, product Digest Gold. I do a few other "natural" things as well.

I have not felt this good in years, I experienced virtually no episodes for the 2 months since I began this regimen, maybe 3 and they were easily handled with an extra enzyme supplement.

... and NO SIDE EFFECTS. Last Winter I was sick the entire cold season with one sinus infection after another after another after another despite 3 or 4 different rounds of various antibiotics trying to get rid of it. I now attribute this to suppressed immunities, a side effect of Nexium and Prilosec ...

Oct 17th, '15, 04:43

by kuánglóng » Oct 17th, '15, 04:43

I'll be on the road for a couple hours with some 'Del Cebador' yerba in the gourd.

Nov 10th, '15, 14:31

by Noonie » Nov 10th, '15, 14:31

Just read through this thread...first time over on this herbal forum.

I'm impressed with the creativity and access to herbs that people have. We don't have a lot of these things at or around our house, so I wanted to ask what blends/herbal teas folks have purchased from tea or other vendors, that are reasonably priced.

Thanks

Nov 11th, '15, 06:17

by john.b » Nov 11th, '15, 06:17

I used to drink tisanes (herbal teas), and then switched to just conventional tea for a few years, but I've been getting back into them a little. For me the nicest benefit is you can drink them in the evening, and I shut off black / oolong / green tea drinking in the afternoon so I can sleep at night.

About the last question about what types there are, that are affordable, there are almost too many. In general I'd avoid drinking anything that comes in a tea bag these days (sort of how tea enthusiasts do it), including tisanes, but this past favorite brand gives an idea of scope, and information about one source cost:

https://www.alvita.com/

No need to make it more complicated than it is; put whatever you think would make a nice tea in hot water, leave it sit for 4 or 5 minutes, strain and drink it. Depending on the ratio of herb to water it may well work to use more herb, relatively, and multiple steeps instead, continuing with longer ones until it stops tasting nice.

In general people drink blends, mixes of lots of things, or floral teas (many), herbs (overlapping with spices), in addition to teas made from all sorts of dried fruits or berries, roots (ginseng is one), bark (cinnamon is that, but it's not common as an unmixed tea), or whatever else. My favorite was sage, just like the herb used in stuffing, and lately I've been drinking that, as well as rosemary, just the herb made as tea, and mulberry leaf tea. This is a recent blog post I wrote about the sage, what it tastes like, and a bit of research on health benefits (alleged benefits--who knows really), but to be honest it's just sage, everyone already knows what it's like:

http://www.tching.com/2015/11/review-sa ... -infusion/

Nov 18th, '15, 13:04

by plant partaker » Nov 18th, '15, 13:04

I am drinking some ginger herbal tea . Usually enjoy some yerba mate right now I have Canarias which I really enjoy as well as la merced. If you haven't had yerba mate you should try a good brand.

Nov 18th, '15, 13:04

by plant partaker » Nov 18th, '15, 13:04

I am drinking some ginger herbal tea . Usually enjoy some yerba mate right now I have Canarias which I really enjoy as well as la merced. If you haven't had yerba mate you should try a good brand.

Nov 19th, '15, 00:46

by debunix » Nov 19th, '15, 00:46

I've only ever tried yerba mate as Celestial Seasonings Morning Thunder, where it's combined with black tea. I remember it fondly for powering through all-nighters in college, and carrying a 12-oz jar with three teabags to get me through one memorable physics final. I remember that tea as very earthy, and that it didn't get bitter like the handful of other black teas I'd tried at that time. But it didn't make me want to try mate for mate's sake.

Dec 5th, '15, 12:08

by debunix » Dec 5th, '15, 12:08

Sore throat last night, definite cold this AM, so comfort tea this morning with chamomile, fresh ginger, lemon grass, hydrangea/gamro leaf, raspberry leaf. Soothing, spicy, sweet.

Dec 7th, '15, 09:04

by kuánglóng » Dec 7th, '15, 09:04

I received a few samples of this herbal tea some months ago ...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Promotio ... 16302.html

... and enjoyed it quite a bit so after some googling I found it on AE and ordered 30 bags.
Whilst shopping on AE I found out that there are fakes going around (surprise, surprise). The 30 bags I've ordered smell and taste slightly different than the samples I got. The images on the bags show the same guy, have the same text printed on them but are made from a slightly different material and the heat seal looks different too. If you study the images on AE closely you'll find that many of the images of the bags have been manipulated, especially the portrait of the guy on the upper part:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/30-Bags- ... 68714.html
On some bags it's a younger lad with glasses but on others an older guy with less hair and no glasses. Anyway, I like that tea a lot, had no adverse reactions whatsoever and will order some more.

Feb 2nd, '16, 08:33
Vendor Member

by ethan » Feb 2nd, '16, 08:33

Drank cassia seed tea. Close to coffee flavor. Don't like it. Bought it feeling guilty for sampling many teas twice at the same shop & rejecting all of them. 150 grams was only 100 NTD (about US$3). Search on computer shows several possible benefits, but I would rather take "medicine" in a pill.

Feb 2nd, '16, 09:24
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 2nd, '16, 09:24

Chamomile seed, no? I'd like to try it with pu erh some time.

Feb 2nd, '16, 20:10
Vendor Member

by ethan » Feb 2nd, '16, 20:10

The people in the shop said chamomile then carambola (star fruit), but translaltion of Chinese on packet is cassia & tastes & look conforms to information from computer search. The first 2 times I prepared it, there was taste similar to barley; thereafter very much like coffee substitute.

W/ milk I love a drink called Postum which takes care of non-tea hot drinks for me quite well. I don't recommend ruining good pu-erh w/ these seeds.

Feb 2nd, '16, 20:27
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 2nd, '16, 20:27

Ethan,

Just did a search and they did look like Cassia seeds. That means the sample we saw at the museum in Pinglin was mislabeled. I actually quite liked the flavor of the cassia seed tea we had and I quite like the taste of coffee too :lol: Wish I could still drink it. I'd absolutely give it a try with some shu pu erh. I almost bought a bag when we were there!

Feb 11th, '16, 20:17

by bagua7 » Feb 11th, '16, 20:17

jayinhk wrote:Chamomile seed, no? I'd like to try it with pu erh some time.
Chrysanthemum and both raw and ripe puerh are a delight to mix (but you probably know this already, don't you?). The varieties I drink are white, buds and wild. Wild chrysanthemum is very punchy, a lot more character and sweeter than the other two. I normally drink it in the evening mixed with ripe pu.

Cheers!

+ Post Reply