Gluten Free Herbal Tea's

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Feb 10th, '15, 17:49

Gluten Free Herbal Tea's

by pmonty » Feb 10th, '15, 17:49

Hi guys, lovely tea community! Very excited to get involved! Anyway I found a great tea store in my state the other day but they were closed and didn't get to go in :( They haven't replied to my email and would love some insight from the herbal tea drinkers at this forum to get some information on the following list of ingredients and if they are gluten free.

Alfalfa, hawthorn berries, dandelion root, fennel, nettle.

Chamomile, lemon balm, licorice root, peppermint.

Lemon balm, ginger, cinnamon pieces, cloves, cardamom pods, hawthorn berries.

Vervain, lime blossoms, St Johns wort, oats straw, chamomile, lavender, rose petals.

As far as I can see Oats straw, is the only questionable one but from what I found on the net and on this stores site they said its gluten free. So I guess its not cross-contaminated? Any information or insight would be great! Also does anyone else see any questionable ingredients that might contain gluten?

Feb 10th, '15, 19:48

Re: Gluten Free Herbal Tea's

by Bef » Feb 10th, '15, 19:48

Looks OK.

As for oats, the standard procedure back a few years ago was to avoid them completely.

As far as I know, things have changed and these days, and it's not considered as much suspect as it used to. I suggest you search a little about oats and see for yourself.

Feb 10th, '15, 19:59

by pmonty » Feb 10th, '15, 19:59

Bef wrote:Looks OK.

As for oats, the standard procedure back a few years ago was to avoid them completely.

As far as I know, things have changed and these days, and it's not considered as much suspect as it used to. I suggest you search a little about oats and see for yourself.
Thanks for your reply Bef, just got this reply from the store.

"There is no gluten in any of those products named. There is no gluten in oats. Gluten is only in wheat, rye and barley."

I guess the only real concern is cross-contamination. And based on that answer I also guess they are certain none occurs.

Feb 10th, '15, 20:03

by Bef » Feb 10th, '15, 20:03

Yes, the theory behing avoiding oats for celiacs is that this cereal is often contaminated. That being said some government agencies have reported that they consider oats as safe for celiacs...

Then again, a ton of other food could be contaminated, so you don't have much choice but to take some risk at some point.

Feb 10th, '15, 20:46

by pmonty » Feb 10th, '15, 20:46

I imagine most celiacs would find a supplier or brand they are comfortable with and stick with it. But yeh eventually at some point you need to buy food or ingredients that have been processed by other people. Kind of scary now that I think about it for those 1% of celiacs that are highly allergic :|

Feb 16th, '15, 03:16

Gluten Free Herbal Tea's

by mcrdotcom » Feb 16th, '15, 03:16

On a quick google search it seems that gluten is very poorly soluble in water, so assuming you aren't hypersensitive, and considering any herbal tea is bound to contain very very little if any gluten from contamination, you should be fine! :)

Feb 16th, '15, 15:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Feb 16th, '15, 15:54

Granted I drink very few herbal teas, but I'm decently sensitive to gluten and have never had a reaction from tea. Thankfully! :D

+ Post Reply