Best brands and where to buy Guayusa Mate

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Sep 24th, '16, 14:24

Best brands and where to buy Guayusa Mate

by VelociTea » Sep 24th, '16, 14:24

As the title says, I'm looking for a good place to buy Guayusa mate. It's actually the only mate I've ever tried but I love it. Maybe I'll bring myself to try 'Yerba' one day.. But I heard it can be quite bitter. Compared to the forgiving sweetness of Guayusa. I currently buy it at David'sTea but I'm getting charged an arm and a leg for it. I steep it like normal tea in a tea bag. Should I be using a Gourd? Or is that just for Yerba? Is it even necessary for Mate?

Oct 13th, '16, 15:04
Adagio
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Best brands and where to buy Guayusa Mate

by Emily@Adagio » Oct 13th, '16, 15:04

Hey, VelociTea!

I totally agree that the guayusa at DavidsTea is pretty expensive! I don't think Yerba mate is necessarily significantly more bitter than guayusa, especially if it's blended with sweeter things. The Mango Mate from Adagio is pretty sweet from the added fruit pieces and has a nice tropical flavor, which I personally really love with Mate. Here's a link to the tea: http://www.adagio.com/herbal/mango_mate.html

There's also totally nothing wrong with making Mate like a regular tea. The gourd preparation method is traditional, but I think that's mostly going back to when gourds were probably the most appropriate cooking vessel regionally. I think prepping it like a regular tea is certainly not going to hurt anything. I do wonder how prepping in a gourd might alter the flavor though.

Nov 14th, '16, 23:57

by VelociTea » Nov 14th, '16, 23:57

EmilyH wrote:Hey, VelociTea!

I totally agree that the guayusa at DavidsTea is pretty expensive! I don't think Yerba mate is necessarily significantly more bitter than guayusa, especially if it's blended with sweeter things. The Mango Mate from Adagio is pretty sweet from the added fruit pieces and has a nice tropical flavor, which I personally really love with Mate. Here's a link to the tea: http://www.adagio.com/herbal/mango_mate.html

There's also totally nothing wrong with making Mate like a regular tea. The gourd preparation method is traditional, but I think that's mostly going back to when gourds were probably the most appropriate cooking vessel regionally. I think prepping it like a regular tea is certainly not going to hurt anything. I do wonder how prepping in a gourd might alter the flavor though.
Thanks for the reply Emily. I only occasionally drink Guayusa now, and have actually been drinking Yerba Mate everyday for the past couple months with the Gourd and Bombilla.

If anyone cares, I tried both ways, and enjoy this method much more. Best for flavour, effect and health. With the Gourd, It starts off strong, then levels out, and once the flavour becomes washed out you're done. Whats also great about this method is it keeps you super hydrated. I usually run about 1-2 litres of hot water through one Gourd of Yerba! Its the best way to extract the most nutrients as well and quite simply, is an interesting change from the usual brewing techniques and vessels for most teas.

Nov 15th, '16, 00:06

by VelociTea » Nov 15th, '16, 00:06

Also, if anyone happens to see this and is concerned about the Yerba Mate=Cancer link, like I was, it is because a lot of the South American companies traditionally smoke dry their Yerba over burning wood, which drastically increases the presence of PAHs (polycyclic armomatic hydrocarbons)

I currently drink organic Guayaki Yerba Mate, a North American company, and their San Mateo Yerba is 100% air dried, and the taste difference between smoke and air dried is night and day. I personally enjoy air dried MUCH more, as the smoked one literally tasted like wood to me.

Nov 15th, '16, 00:47

by yalokinh » Nov 15th, '16, 00:47

Welcome!
I love mate, I would say try different places and brands, adagio had some, ma-tea of another good place with tons of options, my all-time favorite being nobleza gaucha suave. If you get gourd, get a small one <5oz, otherwise it's just a ton of water, tea, and way too much caffeine.

+ Post Reply