Lemongrass.... jiaogulan

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Mar 18th, '17, 00:23
Vendor Member

Lemongrass.... jiaogulan

by ethan » Mar 18th, '17, 00:23

I used cassia seeds before, just for a non-caffeine coffee-like flavor. I want something hot that is not tea or cocoa somemtimes (I gave up coffee).
Recent survey post made me wonder how many of us drink herbal tea but don't write about it.
In January I got sick in Thailand & my guts were on edge long after I was mostly well. I talked w/ my friend Vee at Tea-Village about it. For a cure I followed Vee's advice & drank T-V's lemongrass/pandanmus blend. I'm not sure it helped w/ the problem then; but, I keep using the beverage. Sipped several times a day in very small amounts, it makes my mouth & throat feel fresh & clean.
I tasted every herbal tea that Tea-Village had. The jiaogulan has anise flavor that I like but is too strong for me. Lita blended safflower w/ jiaogulan & I drink that also. Those herbs are supposed to be good for circulation. Perhaps they have some effect because I don't cramp when swimming most of the time when before I was cramping almost every swim I took. I seem to get more headaches though. Who knows?
Point is, if we are drinking herbal teas we might as well post about it as we write about other tea. Who knows what we might get out of it? cheers

Mar 18th, '17, 01:12

Re: Lemongrass.... jiaogulan

by cwj » Mar 18th, '17, 01:12

ethan wrote: I used cassia seeds before, just for a non-caffeine coffee-like flavor. I want something hot that is not tea or cocoa somemtimes (I gave up coffee).
Recent survey post made me wonder how many of us drink herbal tea but don't write about it.
In January I got sick in Thailand & my guts were on edge long after I was mostly well. I talked w/ my friend Vee at Tea-Village about it. For a cure I followed Vee's advice & drank T-V's lemongrass/pandanmus blend. I'm not sure it helped w/ the problem then; but, I keep using the beverage. Sipped several times a day in very small amounts, it makes my mouth & throat feel fresh & clean.
I tasted every herbal tea that Tea-Village had. The jiaogulan has anise flavor that I like but is too strong for me. Lita blended safflower w/ jiaogulan & I drink that also. Those herbs are supposed to be good for circulation. Perhaps they have some effect because I don't cramp when swimming most of the time when before I was cramping almost every swim I took. I seem to get more headaches though. Who knows?
Point is, if we are drinking herbal teas we might as well post about it as we write about other tea. Who knows what we might get out of it? cheers
Yes! Great post.
I readily admit that I do drink herbal infusions (and decoctions) for medicinal reasons.
Back when I was living in West Virginia I'd harvest and prepare my own dandelion roots to make into a "tonic", as well as just for a flavorful tea.
Herbalism is something of a hobby of mine :)
While I much prefer tea (Camellia sinensis) daily for it's pleasure, flavors, aromas, psychoactive effects, lore, etc. I do in fact make occasional use of medicinal herbal teas.

Mar 27th, '17, 02:22

by Teasenz » Mar 27th, '17, 02:22

It's always good to experiment with herbs besides tea. For me, herbs are the best alternative drinks in the evening. Tea usually tends to keep me awake for too long.

Apr 20th, '17, 11:03
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 20th, '17, 11:03

I am going without caffeine and chocolate for about 2 months as I participate in research concerning sleep & metabolism of people aged 55 - 70. I had hoped enjoyment of herbal tea would make not having real tea easier.

What a disappointment! Between sessions of real tea, a bit of the jiaogulan/safflower blend was enjoyable, but right now I don't like it. I do continue to like very weak infusions of lemongrass/pandanus blend, but not enough to avoid missing my regular drinking routine.

I was in this study 2 years ago and don't remember that it was so difficult. Then I drank Postum which now costs too much.

+ Post Reply