Just a few tisanes for aid in minor ailments....??

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Nov 17th, '07, 00:46

Just a few tisanes for aid in minor ailments....??

by tomasini » Nov 17th, '07, 00:46

I don't know how many of you are when it comes to issues of health, but I am who prefers to do things the natural way if possible, then seek out other more FDA supported methods as a last result...now, im not here to debate such matters, simply to share with you all some of the ones I've found most effective (In the form of Teas, of course)

Ginger/Licorice -
For Nausea, Stomach Pain, Ulcer

These two lovely herbs saved my life when an Ulcer sprung up in my stomach. The pain was over bearing and I could find no relief. I did some research in a few of my herb books and came to find that Licorice seemed to be the most common remedy, as it not only helped settle your stomach but also helped REPAIR your stomach lining. Licorice on its own is tasty, but adding the Ginger was a must. I found that Ginger, though it does increase stomach acid, actually contains many many compounds that fight Ulcers. Within minutes of my home brew I was feeling better. Two or three cups of this a day had me back on my feet, stomach pain free in less than a week. I kid you not.

Passion Flower
Insomnia/Anxiety

While most people run to Chamomile as their first weapon against insomnia, I found that unfortunately the body can become immune to its sleepy effects if the herb was consumed to regularly so I was left trying to find something I could use while my body's tolerance to Chamomile lowered and what I found was Passion Flower.
Passion Flower has an interesting effect as it does not make you drowsy, but merely more relaxed and more capable of drifting into sleep. What I did notice was that nights with Passionflower were sound and I never awoke...however...I did have very lucid dreams while drinking the tea. While none of them were nightmares, they were definitly strange.

Ya, I was gonna make a really big list but these two will suffice for now, i would love to see a response of other remedies people have to share but lets keep to herbal tianes!

Nov 27th, '07, 21:19

by noah » Nov 27th, '07, 21:19

I've found that a peppermint/spearmint combination helps sore throats. Usually I add the mint combo with a pinch of lemon grass helps sooth the throat and give it a great test.

Nov 27th, '07, 23:07

by tomasini » Nov 27th, '07, 23:07

Ah, gotta love a little pinch of Lemongrass! I like to add to everything herbal..good for the nerves.

Nov 27th, '07, 23:18

by Wesli » Nov 27th, '07, 23:18

Gotta use something when it comes to passionflower...

That stuff tastes AWFUL!

Nov 27th, '07, 23:19

by tomasini » Nov 27th, '07, 23:19

oh lord, Fatal its horrible...haha, ya i add a lot of honey, lavendar, or even ginger...mmm...love ginger

Nov 27th, '07, 23:26

by Wesli » Nov 27th, '07, 23:26

Sounds spicy!

I usually mix it into a chamomile blend with lemongrass and mint (and diphenhydramine). Turns out to be a lot like Adagio's cha-cha-cha blend, but more potent, with a lot more chamomile.

MMmmmMMmmMMMm.

Nov 27th, '07, 23:35

by tomasini » Nov 27th, '07, 23:35

passionflower has a wonderful effect on my sleep but i try not to use it so much so i dont get used to it.

add some lemon and a shot of burbon and you have one helluva hot toddie

Nov 27th, '07, 23:43

by Wesli » Nov 27th, '07, 23:43

Does the tolerance build up as fast as chamomile?

It's almost ridiculous how fast my body gets used to chamomile. I think I can get two good nights in a row, then nothing until I stop for at least a week.

+ Post Reply