Yerba Mate

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Feb 14th, '06, 19:40

by Joe » Feb 14th, '06, 19:40

I forgot to mention this, but you mentioned a smoky flavor you didn't like. You can buy either smoked or unsmoked mate. Perhaps you should try the unsmoked variety.

Mar 23rd, '06, 19:23

by Warden Andy » Mar 23rd, '06, 19:23

Does yerba mate normally have a minty taste? I ordered yerba mate from teasource.com, and it has a minty taste. From the previous posts in this thread, I wonder if it's flavored, or scented so more people would like it.

Mar 24th, '06, 00:44

by TeaFanatic » Mar 24th, '06, 00:44

No yerba mate does not typically have a minty taste. Normally you will find a bold slightly smoky (if smoky kind) or very bold vegetal taste. What company did you order your mate from? Sometimes companies do flavor mate to make it more appealing to the american consumer, so you might have encountered that.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Mar 24th, '06, 07:25

by Warden Andy » Mar 24th, '06, 07:25

I got it from teasource.com. I think it's safe to say it's definately flavored. I don't really like it with a minty taste.

I guess I'll be drinking Guayaki untill I can order from Aviva.

Mar 24th, '06, 10:51

by TeaFanatic » Mar 24th, '06, 10:51

Cool, if you plan on ordering from aviva, I would recommend that you go to their site and subscribe for their newsletter (free). Every month they send out a newsletter, in some of which they offer some pretty good deals on their mate. Also since everyones taste are different, I would start off with a small order from them and then go for bigger orders.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Apr 20th, '06, 15:38

by yellville » Apr 20th, '06, 15:38

Excuse me if I am repeating points already brought up in this thread (I may have skimmed over a few responses in my haste...) but two things ought to be brought up when discussing Mate:

1.) It does, in fact, contain caffiene (according to certain national newspapers).
2.) Before knocking Yerba Mate altogether, Yerba Mate Chai ought be tasted, if only for the hell of it. It is rather decent.

I'm new, of course. Hello. 8)

Apr 20th, '06, 22:45

by TeaFanatic » Apr 20th, '06, 22:45

Welcome to the community Yellville...I hate to start off my introduction by disagreeing with one of your statements. Although, national newspapers state that mate has caffeine, it can be argued that mate instead has a different chemical compound known as mateine. Mateine is different in that it does not cause jitters or have any of the negative aspects of caffeine.

To this day, scientists have argued as to whether mate has mateine or caffeine, and since there has been to little research on the subject, it is hard to tell who is right.

http://yerba-mate.com/research.htm

The element does has the stimulating effect such as caffeine, so it should still be avoided by those who have high blood pressure.

Welcome aboard, I hope you continue posting!
"Make tea not war"

Apr 21st, '06, 00:06

by kodama » Apr 21st, '06, 00:06

From what I have heard, mateine is caffeine is theine - absolutely and without debate.

The debate though, is how much of "caffeine"'s effect comes from the compound itself or the combination of caffeine and other chemicals, which line up differently in tea and mate than in coffee, for the better.

Apr 21st, '06, 14:53

by yellville » Apr 21st, '06, 14:53

TeaFanatic wrote:Welcome to the community Yellville...I hate to start off my introduction by disagreeing with one of your statements. Although, national newspapers state that mate has caffeine, it can be argued that mate instead has a different chemical compound known as mateine. Mateine is different in that it does not cause jitters or have any of the negative aspects of caffeine.

To this day, scientists have argued as to whether mate has mateine or caffeine, and since there has been to little research on the subject, it is hard to tell who is right.

http://yerba-mate.com/research.htm

The element does has the stimulating effect such as caffeine, so it should still be avoided by those who have high blood pressure.

Welcome aboard, I hope you continue posting!
Thank you for your welcome! I do agree that Mate does not cause the annoyances that caffiene typically can, at least in my case.

Apr 25th, '06, 00:04

by Warden Andy » Apr 25th, '06, 00:04

Teafanatic, is the unflavored yerba mate from Aviva the smoky kind? I couldn't find what variety it is on the site.

I think after I use up the mate I have now, I'll order more. I've been drinking it at night which seems to be helping me get to sleep.

Apr 25th, '06, 00:56

by TeaFanatic » Apr 25th, '06, 00:56

Until recently actually, I had no idea that there was a difference in types of yerba mate, because personally I cannot tell if there is a difference. Aviva is not very smoky because it is shade grown, and I don't think that they roast it, but rather just let it sit out in the sun (kinda like green tea). It still has a slightly astringent taste because that is what yerba tastes like but it is not on the smoky side, at least for my tastes.
"Make tea not war"

Apr 28th, '06, 21:07

by Darth Jeeling » Apr 28th, '06, 21:07

In my own personal test, I've got more jittery after mate than I do after caffeine (In fact, I've stopped drinking it)! But to each his own...I wouldn't say it should be an adagio product though.

Also new. Greetings :)
' '...why this pain? If it would only cease just for a moment!' and he moaned. Peter turned towards him. 'It's all right. Go and fetch me some tea.' '

-The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Leo Tolstoy

Apr 28th, '06, 22:13

by peachaddict » Apr 28th, '06, 22:13

Welcome, Darth Jeeling!
"Oh, those are my subconscious thoughts. I shouldn't listen too hard if I were you. I'm not all that proud of some of them." - Doctor Who

Apr 30th, '06, 16:35

by TeaFanatic » Apr 30th, '06, 16:35

Darth Jeeling...what brand of yerba did you try? I would suggest that you try a higher quality brand if you feel up to trying yerba again. Aviva (yerba-mate.com) and cruz de malta (gauchogourmet.com) come to mind for me if you want to give yerba another shot.
"Make tea not war"

May 10th, '06, 00:31

by Darth Jeeling » May 10th, '06, 00:31

Mm, might be worth a try. I'll let you know if I get some. The stuff I had was at a friend's, so I can't tell you the brand. Truthfully, the best part of drinking it was using the little strainer-hookah thing. :D

(very nice signature, peachaddict!)
' '...why this pain? If it would only cease just for a moment!' and he moaned. Peter turned towards him. 'It's all right. Go and fetch me some tea.' '

-The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Leo Tolstoy

+ Post Reply