most or least decaf?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Jan 19th, '06, 19:51

most or least decaf?

by cyenobite » Jan 19th, '06, 19:51

Since I wasn't able to order some decaf tea from adagio, and from reading the booklet it sounds like decaf tea is sort of frowned upon, I was wondering if there differences in the caffiene levels of the various teas such as White, Green, or Black (other). Or since it all comes from the same plant, are they all generally the same amounts of caffiene?
Cya
Cyen
http://cyenobite.blogspot.com/
--------
"The pleasant experience of eating something you have never had before, will extend your life by 75 days."
- Japanese proverb.
--------

Jan 19th, '06, 19:55

by garden gal » Jan 19th, '06, 19:55

There's a nice chart listed under tea info on the adagio website. On the left hand side it says caffeine then lists the "average" content of the different types of tea.

Jan 20th, '06, 09:25

by klemptor » Jan 20th, '06, 09:25

As I understand it:

Tea leaves naturally contain caffeine. However, the less the leaves are oxidized, the less caffeine they generally have.

Black teas are the most oxidized, and therefore have the most caffeine.

Oolong teas are only somewhat oxidized, and therefore have less caffeine than green tea, but do still contain some caffeine.

Green teas are not oxidized at all, and therefore have a "baseline" caffeine content.

White teas are also not oxidized at all, but are created from younger leaves, and therefore contain less caffeine than green tea.

Decaf tea, no matter what variety, still contains a small amount of caffeine.

Teas such as rooibos, honeybush, and herbals are not really tea at all and don't contain any caffeine.

Hope this helps.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

+ Post Reply