Apr 27th, '08, 07:37

by tenuki » Apr 27th, '08, 07:37

so far we have one entry, not enough for a contest. I'm starting to salivate at how much tea I can by with the profits from ebay. :D
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 27th, '08, 11:19

by chamekke » Apr 27th, '08, 11:19

tenuki wrote:so far we have one entry, not enough for a contest.
I'm thinking... I'm thinking...

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 27th, '08, 15:10

by tenuki » Apr 27th, '08, 15:10

olivierco wrote:I received my copy of the book in French, so I won't enter the contest.
Do you have a link to the french version, ie is it a different translation entirely or a french version of the book I am offering? curious minds want to know. :)

Apr 27th, '08, 15:28

by olivierco » Apr 27th, '08, 15:28

It is surely a different edition (foreword by Kitti Cha Sangmanee expert dégustateur for Mariage Frères, translation and notes by Véronique Chevaleyre) with a reproduction of the original chinese text.

http://www.mollat.com/livres/you-cha-ji ... 30033.aspx

Apr 27th, '08, 15:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Apr 27th, '08, 15:55

I would trade a cebei (small porcelain gongfu pot). I have found these to be the single most useful gongfu pots out there, though they're impossible to find online. I'd be happy to pick up a design of your choice, and include a sample of tea of your choice (perhaps 1999 Chen Guang He Tang or aged oolong) :)

Apr 27th, '08, 17:20

by tenuki » Apr 27th, '08, 17:20

olivierco wrote:It is surely a different edition (foreword by Kitti Cha Sangmanee expert dégustateur for Mariage Frères, translation and notes by Véronique Chevaleyre) with a reproduction of the original chinese text.

Nice! 21 euros too. There is one onsale at alibris, but it's 70 bucks and after the exchange rate and shipping it would be that from France too.. :( Illustrations? The cover is stunning.

Apr 27th, '08, 17:21

by tenuki » Apr 27th, '08, 17:21

ABx wrote:I would trade..
Ho ho, another good entry (are you sticking to the rules, ie less than 10 bucks?), now we have a contest and I'll have to rob my son's piggy bank for tea money as usual. :D

Apr 27th, '08, 20:16

by ABx » Apr 27th, '08, 20:16

tenuki wrote:(are you sticking to the rules, ie less than 10 bucks?)
Yup, I get the teapots for $4. A sample of tea that I have aren't as easy to price, but can easily be kept less than $6 in value. :)

Apr 27th, '08, 20:40

by Salsero » Apr 27th, '08, 20:40

ABx wrote:Yup, I get the teapots for $4.
ABx, you have spoken of these marvelous pots before, but I don't remember that you posted a pic. Is there one up somewhere? They are quite small, right? Approx capacity? I seem to remember them as being the same shape as a too-large one I got as a gift from Taiwan, but yours are a more gong fu appropriate size.

BTW
This is an amazingly generous offer/entertainment/contest that Tenuki is providing for us. Thanks, Tenuki!

Apr 27th, '08, 21:32

by ABx » Apr 27th, '08, 21:32

Yup, the two on the right in the pic below. They're about 4-5 oz (ones with different patterns have slightly different sizes and thicknesses). I just got a new one that's thicker, about 5 oz (about the same as the green one in the pic), and has the blue water dragon pattern that you see around on various items.

Apr 27th, '08, 21:44

by Pentox » Apr 27th, '08, 21:44

As the deadline comes closer, I am making my offer:

My material offer: A 50 pc Mille Fieulle De Thes from Lupicia. (50 piece sampler set, 50 dollar value, but i got it for free) and a 50g bag of Chiran Yutakamidori (7.00 value, I ordered 2 bags on accident, i do love the stuff though)

Why you should select my offer: As a fellow tea junkie, I wish to understand the origins and history of tea. Lu Yu's book is obviously the keystone book. I wish to read it, understand it, and learn from it. Why me over others? I have a kickass offer and know I will cherish it.

Apr 28th, '08, 00:35

by olivierco » Apr 28th, '08, 00:35

tenuki wrote: Nice! 21 euros too. There is one onsale at alibris, but it's 70 bucks and after the exchange rate and shipping it would be that from France too.. :( Illustrations? The cover is stunning.
Some pictures of teaware and tea leaves. Nice pictures, but mainly of modern teapots.

Apr 29th, '08, 12:30

by Katrina » Apr 29th, '08, 12:30

Here is my humble offering - A selection of teas from local vendors here in Massachusetts (US): 1 ounce of Dragonwell from Tea Zone, 1 ounce of Pu-er Yunnan from Virtuous Teas, and 1/2 ounce of Tea a la Marrakesh from Licorice & Sloe.

Reasons to choose me: 1) My submission proves that even the home of the Boston Tea Party can offer some good tea. 2) I am a voracious reader and LOVE tea books. (Check my blog’s book reviews!) Not having yet read this text makes me feel like a sham!
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Apr 29th, '08, 15:16

by tenuki » Apr 29th, '08, 15:16

Woot! Contest is heating up, just one last day. I'm trying to not think about how I'm gonna decide between all these excellent offers.

Apr 29th, '08, 15:35

by Carnelian » Apr 29th, '08, 15:35

My offer is another tea book, The Etiquette of an English Tea, which is a small pocket-sized book full of tea history, recipes of traditional english tea time snacks (so traditional it calls for baking tea cakes in a "moderately hot oven"), reprints of old tea advertisments, superstitions related to tea, and even instructions on telling fortunes in tea leaves. I got it at a going out of business sale for about $5. It is in good condition, just a litle worn around the edges

Why should you pick my offer? It follows along in both the book theme and the want of sharing a little tidbit of tea history with other tea lovers (in your case I guess it would be a big tidbit of tea history).

http://www.btinternet.com/~copperbeechp ... ishtea.htm