Hong Kong teahouses

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

Oct 29th, '14, 06:19

Hong Kong teahouses

by Rui » Oct 29th, '14, 06:19

My first post on this subject was in the wrong thread of the forum so I am re-creating it here.

Next month my wife and I will be going to Hong Kong for a week. Does anyone know of any teahouses I should definitely visit? :?:

Many thanks.

Rui

Oct 29th, '14, 07:42

Re: Hong Kong teawhouses

by Poseidon » Oct 29th, '14, 07:42

I would assume a nice walk in the tea district would have some wonderful treasures. Stores full of puerh and oolong sounds like a wet dream. :lol:

Oct 29th, '14, 10:04

by Rui » Oct 29th, '14, 10:04

Poseidon wrote:I would assume a nice walk in the tea district would have some wonderful treasures. Stores full of puerh and oolong sounds like a wet dream. :lol:
LOL that is true. :)

The question that comes to my mind is where will I find the tea district in HK? If anyone knows it would be appreciated.

Oct 29th, '14, 10:55

by Poseidon » Oct 29th, '14, 10:55

Rui wrote:
Poseidon wrote:I would assume a nice walk in the tea district would have some wonderful treasures. Stores full of puerh and oolong sounds like a wet dream. :lol:
LOL that is true. :)

The question that comes to my mind is where will I find the tea district in HK? If anyone knows it would be appreciated.
I would PM JayinHK. Hes a member on here who should be able to direct you to the nice places :D

Oct 29th, '14, 16:24

Re: Hong Kong teahouses

by BW85 » Oct 29th, '14, 16:24

MarshalN's most recent blog post is on contemporary HK teahouses; may give you an idea of what to look for and where and also what to avoid

Oct 30th, '14, 04:59

by Rui » Oct 30th, '14, 04:59

Thank you all for the input. Off to contact the sources mentioned. :D

Nov 6th, '14, 00:22

by chingwa » Nov 6th, '14, 00:22

There's a nice teahouse in Hong Kong Park, which is also next door to the Hong Kong Tea Museum. :D The museum is just alright, but the teahouse is a nice retreat from the city. I got tea drunk here once on multiple infusions of oolong and fell for the amorous ambidextrous tea-waitress who double-wielded oolong and puehr preparations. :mrgreen:

Nov 6th, '14, 03:27

Hong Kong teahouses

by mcrdotcom » Nov 6th, '14, 03:27

chingwa wrote:I got tea drunk here once on multiple infusions of oolong and fell for the amorous ambidextrous tea-waitress who double-wielded oolong and puehr preparations. :mrgreen:
She's a keeper! :P

Nov 6th, '14, 03:29

by Rui » Nov 6th, '14, 03:29

chingwa wrote:There's a nice teahouse in Hong Kong Park, which is also next door to the Hong Kong Tea Museum. :D The museum is just alright, but the teahouse is a nice retreat from the city. I got tea drunk here once on multiple infusions of oolong and fell for the amorous ambidextrous tea-waitress who double-wielded oolong and puehr preparations. :mrgreen:
Thank you very much for the information. I have actually been there a couple of times.

It was in this teahouse where I was first introduced to pu'erh. It was so yummy that I am looking forward to go and taste some more of their teas.

My wife and I were also very impressed with the dexterity of the waitresses.

Nov 6th, '14, 06:44

Hong Kong teahouses

by Sasameyuki » Nov 6th, '14, 06:44

Hi, do you know the name of this tea house (or its website) ? I might visit HK in 2015 and would love to go there.

Nov 6th, '14, 07:43

by Rui » Nov 6th, '14, 07:43

Sasameyuki wrote:Hi, do you know the name of this tea house (or its website) ? I might visit HK in 2015 and would love to go there.
I could be wrong but I think it is called 'Sheung Yu Tea House'. It is in Hong Kong park right next to the Museum of Tea Ware.

Nov 6th, '14, 08:12

by chingwa » Nov 6th, '14, 08:12

She's a keeper!
Yeah, I tried to tell my wife that but she would not be convinced....

Nov 6th, '14, 08:39

Hong Kong teahouses

by Sasameyuki » Nov 6th, '14, 08:39

Rui wrote:
Sasameyuki wrote:Hi, do you know the name of this tea house (or its website) ? I might visit HK in 2015 and would love to go there.
I could be wrong but I think it is called 'Sheung Yu Tea House'. It is in Hong Kong park right next to the Museum of Tea Ware.
Dear Rui, many thanks for the info!

Nov 6th, '14, 11:26

by Teaism » Nov 6th, '14, 11:26

The tea house next to the museum is nice, food wise and ambience. I was there a couple of times after spending hours staring at the teapots in the museum. Was trying to learn how to recognize the clay! :lol: Seeing the real thing and from books and pictures is totally different. They also sell some of the English Yixing teapot books in the museum store.

I might there again end of this year, if not definitely next year. I have quite a lot relatives and tea friends there.

Cheers! :D

Nov 6th, '14, 15:57
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 6th, '14, 15:57

I was there a few weeks ago and they have live classical Chinese music performances on Sundays for around $30, including tea. We didn't stop in there for the session and instead went to the tea museum, as I was with someone who didn't know anything about tea, and was curious to learn. I hadn't been to the museum in twenty years, and I appreciated it a lot more after getting into tea and tea culture!

MarshalN's post on the local tea shops is a good one. The tea at the teahouse will be decent, but expensive. It's run by a local chain (I can't remember who). If you want to go pu erh hunting, there are plenty of other places to go with better prices and wider selections. Marshal is the guy to talk to if you want something specific as far as pu erh goes--oolongs are really all I buy to drink locally nowadays! And I have enough tea to last me for a long while!

+ Post Reply