Hei chai pu'er style tea from Thailand

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

Nov 12th, '15, 00:31

Hei chai pu'er style tea from Thailand

by john.b » Nov 12th, '15, 00:31

I'm not sure how much there is to discuss related to this, but I just wrote a review of two pu'er style teas from Thailand:

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... sheng.html

The teas were nice, but the broader subject may be more interesting in general, the range of different compressed teas out there (which the post title doesn't relate to). I keep seeing reference to Fu tea but haven't tried that yet, and I put a lot of effort into finding compressed tea in Korea last visit but that didn't pan out (dok-cha).

About those two teas, the sheng and shou versions from Thailand, they were nice enough. I've seen reference to a product a friend says is nice from Laos as well, but I've not tried it yet. I had tried loose pu'er-style teas from Thailand and Vietnam in the past but didn't love those, maybe as much related to type preference as the tea, a bit too heavy on minerals for my liking.

Mar 11th, '16, 03:03

Re: Hei chai pu'er style tea from Thailand

by john.b » Mar 11th, '16, 03:03

At the risk of talking to myself, I'll mention another favorite blogger's post that just wrote about this subject, adding some extra details and review of three different examples of Thai hei cha:

http://steepstories.com/dark-tea-thailand/

Yunnan isn't in any danger of losing the franchise but it's nice to see these teas get a little recognition, especially since they've been making them for awhile. There are cakes out there being sold from a decade ago but the tea trees they are coming from are said to be very old, just how old might be hard to say.

Mar 11th, '16, 03:45
Vendor Member

Re: Hei chai pu'er style tea from Thailand

by jayinhk » Mar 11th, '16, 03:45

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'll be in Northern Vietnam next week and am looking to get some ripe pu erh, as well as some Hmong assamica maocha.

+ Post Reply