Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

May 1st, '16, 22:36
Vendor Member

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

by jayinhk » May 1st, '16, 22:36

Phnom Penh has a large Chinese population and there are modern Chinese teas on offer. I randomly found a store that would be at home in any city in China. Overpriced DHP and off brand pu erh, as well as cups and poor quality Yixings, along with lots of Chinese liquor. These stores are ripoff spots--the only difference between this one and ones I've encountered on the Mainland are location and the prices in Cambodia are in USD!

Cambodia also produces green tea in Mondulkiri, a mountainous area. Not a tea I'm fond of at all as it is very smokey and rough.

Sea Dyke jasmine appears to be widely sold and consumed, as well as Vietnamese teas. Cambodia's tea industry appears to be at least partially controlled by the ethnic Chinese.

Cambodia is a great country, but not a fine tea destination by any means at this point. Lots of other reasons to visit though!

May 1st, '16, 22:59
Vendor Member

Re: Phnom Penh, Cambodia

by ethan » May 1st, '16, 22:59

If you are there now & have not gone to Ankor Wat (Siem Reap), I strongly suggest that you do. It is good for a 2-day visit. You can travel by boat from Phnom Penh. Ankor Wat is definitely very special.

May 1st, '16, 23:27
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 1st, '16, 23:27

Keep scrolling...nothing to see here
Last edited by jayinhk on May 2nd, '16, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, '16, 23:28
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 1st, '16, 23:28

ethan wrote:If you are there now & have not gone to Ankor Wat (Siem Reap), I strongly suggest that you do. It is good for a 2-day visit. You can travel by boat from Phnom Penh. Ankor Wat is definitely very special.
Spent a week in Siem Reap last year...Angkor is amazing! Still some far flung sites in the Angkor area that I'd like to see, so I'll have to go back again. Fortunately it's close and there are some great airfare deals to be had!

Also due to drought...no boat. Hopefully the rain comes soon!

Jun 13th, '16, 23:00

by john.b » Jun 13th, '16, 23:00

I've been to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, and although my experiences had little to do with tea I'll ramble on a little here anyway. I found one Cambodian black tea in a Siem Reap grocery store that wasn't awful, just not great either, a little sweet with some fruit (cherry) but also a little rough with a touch of smoke. Those temples really did make up for the rest having nothing to do with tea.

Phonm Penh reminded me a lot of Vientiane, the capital of Laos, the same size and general look and feel. I suppose that's not really a compliment since both are a little rough without lots of redeeming local character to offset that but I liked the feel of both places. Luang Prabang in Laos was much nicer, and Siem Reap in Cambodia.

I've not completely given up on finding that rare nicer tea in Cambodia but since we almost never go there it probably won't happen any time soon.

Jun 14th, '16, 07:02
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 14th, '16, 07:02

Northern Laos seems promising for maocha...need to get up there!

+ Post Reply