May 28th, '14, 16:50

Small article on tea pollutants

by MEversbergII » May 28th, '14, 16:50

There are more out there, but I came across this one today: http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2014/05/ ... is-no.html

M.

May 28th, '14, 17:50

by bonescwa » May 28th, '14, 17:50

Lol I'm soooo scared

Feb 2nd, '16, 08:43
Vendor Member

Re: Small article on tea pollutants

by ethan » Feb 2nd, '16, 08:43

Read this again today after several hours of drinking tea w/ Vee & Lita of Tea-Village in Pattaya. They are trying to widen their inventory for on-line sales, &, I can believe it is not all fun to sample teas for business reasons. Some of the teas from China really were disturbing our mouths & one had me quite uncomfortable in my throat. I felt a trying agent was doing its evil work on me.
A Darjeeling w/ a smokey taste also was bothersome. (Most unusual Darjeeling ever encountered--not estate nor flush given)
Such experience makes one think of articles like this. I think I can enjoy enough teas from places other than China & India but won't pledge to avoid them forever. Cheers.

Feb 2nd, '16, 08:50
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 2nd, '16, 08:50

Lots of crap tea in China, with pesticide residues as well, and even artificial flavoring added. Most Darjeeling sold in India is just bog standard 'Darjeeling.' I have a large packet I was given as a gift by my cousin in Kolkata. I've tried it once and never touched it again! I do have some good Nilgiri, but I much prefer Chinese and Taiwanese black teas to the Indian ones.

Feb 22nd, '17, 17:55

by onjinone » Feb 22nd, '17, 17:55

Yeah, there's so much bad stuff in China and that's the category many of the most common teas fall into. At the same time there's a lot of great quality tea that I am sure has a lot less of what that article mentions. The difficulty is finding it and navigating through the craziness.

Apr 21st, '17, 17:41

by LooseLeafTeaMarket01 » Apr 21st, '17, 17:41

Tea is one of the most heavily sprayed crops. Go full organic. Handmade is even better. There are US suppliers, such as the ones we use, who test for pesticides, radiation, molds, etc. All of our herbs and teas go through them for that reason.

It's a bit of a scary world out there when it comes to quality and understanding what you put into your body and certain parts of the world seem to be more notorious for pollutants than others.

In some cases, you won't be able to find certain plants organic. But they can still be high quality. Jiao Gu Lan is a good example. That particular herb, at least as far as our sourcing is concerned, is classed as "wildcrafted". That means that it was harvested from a semi-cultivated or wild area. It is highly unlikely that those areas are being sprayed.

However....its possible that a nearby farm might be using chemicals and the wind could carry them to a place that was not spraying chemicals, thereby contaminating them.

Again, if you get it from a supplier who screens for pesticides, etc. you can get a good clean product that doesn't have the USDA organic certification.

Let me know if I can help you find a source for anything that you are concerned may be tainted.

+ Post Reply