Dec 9th, '16, 19:54

Stomach issues

by Noonie » Dec 9th, '16, 19:54

I have a sensitive stomach and it flared up recently and I can't pinpoint the cause. I'm easily bloated, sometimes "backed up". This can happen anytime of the day. Bloating started at lunch today and is still there hours later.

I've been drinking matcha since October, maybe 3-4 times a week. That's the only new tea. Been drinking green and oolong teas for years. I always wake up and have breakfast then green tea right after (sencha or matcha). I have tea sessions 3-4 times a day. Green 2-3 and oolong once or twice.

I eat a high fiber cereal, not sure if it's too much fiber.

Anyone have a similar experience where they think tea is in some way (timing and type).

Dec 9th, '16, 21:20

Re: Stomach issues

by .m. » Dec 9th, '16, 21:20

Whether it is the cause of your troubles or not, too much matcha has definitely the potential to destroy your stomach.

Dec 9th, '16, 22:43
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 9th, '16, 22:43

Japanese green teas clear me right out! How is your fruit and vegetable intake? Dairy? Meat? Any new stress? I just drank some Taiwanese TGY and it got my motor running. Lol

Dec 11th, '16, 14:46

by Noonie » Dec 11th, '16, 14:46

Pretty sure it was the high-fiber cereal. I didn't do the math until recently - men are supposed to have around 20-40g of fiber daily. The cereal I was having has 15g per 1/2 cup. Well on Friday I probably had a 1 1/2 cups. Plus fruit, veggies, and other food I had later, it likely bloated me. I've been off the cereal since and have had no issues - and that's despite weekend tea consumption which is higher than weekdays (including Matcha).

Dec 11th, '16, 22:18
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 11th, '16, 22:18

Noonie wrote:Pretty sure it was the high-fiber cereal. I didn't do the math until recently - men are supposed to have around 20-40g of fiber daily. The cereal I was having has 15g per 1/2 cup. Well on Friday I probably had a 1 1/2 cups. Plus fruit, veggies, and other food I had later, it likely bloated me. I've been off the cereal since and have had no issues - and that's despite weekend tea consumption which is higher than weekdays (including Matcha).
Tea has a laxative effect for me, so I don't think matcha would clog you up! Quite the opposite actually!

Dec 30th, '16, 17:20

by onjinone » Dec 30th, '16, 17:20

Tea can have a laxative effect like JayinHK says so your issue may not be caused by the tea. Maybe increase your fruit and veggie intake, and avoid sweets. Cooked lettuce can help. Some Chinese people use sometimes boil water with barley/barley powder to alleviate some of the symptoms you're referring to.

Apr 21st, '17, 18:03

by LooseLeafTeaMarket01 » Apr 21st, '17, 18:03

There could be a few things going on.

1. You could be sensitive to tannins, an astringent compound in tea that can upset your stomach.

2. Your diet could be wrong for you. It takes a lot to break down a ton of fiber. Experiment with dietary changes and keep a food journal. That could give you valuable clues.

3. Caffeine diverts blood flow from your digestive tract. If you are ingesting too much, your digestion could be suffering for that reason.

There are a number of herbs you can use that are called aromatics. They help to dispel bloating and gas. Examples include but are not limited to: Anise, Fennel, Cardamom, Ginger

You might also benefit from bitter herbs like Gentian that help to prime your digestion.

May 30th, '17, 03:52

by ginagreen » May 30th, '17, 03:52

Only the coffee will make me want to poop, then other drinks will not affect my stomach.

May 31st, '17, 17:12

by dshu » May 31st, '17, 17:12

Agreed that matcha can be particularly harsh. I definitely need some food before a session.

That said, it's never caused bloating. Stress or over eating will do that to me :?

Jun 1st, '17, 01:31

by daotown » Jun 1st, '17, 01:31

correlation is not causation. First, stop drinking tea until the issue is resolved, that is a good way to see it it is the tea. The best thing to do first is take probiotic supplement or eating yogurt. Next you could start exercising if you don't already. And then once you are back to feeling regular, introduce tea back into your diet.

In my opinion I think there is two main causes for this, first the microflora in your gut is thrown off by the consumption of the new substance. I am assuming you are relatively new to drinking tea ( circa 1 year) and before this time you haven't tried tea of this quality/strength/caliber. Bring me to me second point, that the astringency of the tea is causing a negative reaction, much like alcohol would.

Mar 4th, '19, 10:42

by Solman636 » Mar 4th, '19, 10:42

In the last few months I have been drinking more tea, and at the same time I was having tea in the morning for breakfast on an empty stomach and not eating til noon as part of a period of intermittent fasting. However, when I added the tea in the amount of about 400 ml from a number of steepings of just a couple of grams I started having severe gas later in the day after lunch that couldn't escape or even worse sometimes and severe cramps which were painful, tired me, led to diarrhea, etc. However, the solution was easy enough it seems. Once I started having a single serving of oatmeal with a little sweet potato mixed in the problem was solved...so far at least. I eat an unusually high fiber vegan diet similar to Okinawan aged ones who also drink tea all day. I still don't have tea every day as I get much more of a boot out of it by alternating 3 days on, 3 days off and enjoy being free of the tea as much as I do the tea so it works out nicely like that. I was happy to find a solution, and it seems to work regardless of which type of tea I have that day, and I rotate daily from white to green, and the rest.

Dec 19th, '19, 09:23

by mutroke » Dec 19th, '19, 09:23

Your stomach could be irritated already by food choices, probably some sensitivity to the cereals (gluten/pesticides),milk, etc but also from the food combining you use, if you combine them in the wrong way, it will create gas and stress ur stomach daily....read "Food combining made easy" by Shelton, it saved my life, super short book but effective. I had gastritis and h pylori 10 years ago, everything was irritating almost, it took years of discipline and eating clean/simple to fully recover and only now i can drink matcha without gas. Be aware : drinking matcha daily will be heavy for your stomach if you have problems, try to drink only once per week after the meal....coffee is worse, because of the caffeine and pesticides. Then it depends what type of green tea you have, the Japanese ones can be harder on ur stomach, because they are a bit more "raw". Healing the gut is one of the most complicated things, also because of the huge amount of B.S. advice on the internet, clueless doctors who know nothing about food and how to eat , then when you are in pain, you will try anyything to feel better :? , but there is no magic tea or pill to solve gut problems, just proper food choices, proper timing and food combining, avoiding over eating and substances that irritate the gut . You have to read that book. Wish you the best .

Mar 3rd, '24, 23:58

by thegutsaround » Mar 3rd, '24, 23:58

I do have the same issues but its bearable.

+ Post Reply