Jun 18th, '17, 10:56

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by tcsmeg » Jun 18th, '17, 10:56

victoria3 wrote: I've been researching getting a tetsubin for a while and came across this one locally that is only 50$ so am wondering if I should just get it as a first run with these kettles, or wait and get a new one. I've read boiling with tea leaves removes some rust, although I don't see how that's possible. I've also read a little rust is OK, but how much is a little? Also, is it OK to use a gas stove top diffuser until I get an electric device? The tet is 7.5" X 8" including handle so a nice size.
Your tetsubin rust is not so bad. In fact much better than I ever seen and do.
My Solution is1:
1. Boil with tea leaf(preferbly thrown green tea) for at least 30 min
2. Boil with lemon water (just cut and throw the whole lemon) say 60 min
3. Boil with washed rice water
4. Continue Boil with mineral/hard water until the water is clear.

I have done the step 4 in 3 days the white patina already start building up under water 80-90ppm.

The above are my experience and hope it will work for you as well.

Jun 18th, '17, 12:47

by victoria3 » Jun 18th, '17, 12:47

tcsmeg wrote:
victoria3 wrote: I've been researching getting a tetsubin for a while and came across this one locally that is only 50$ so am wondering if I should just get it as a first run with these kettles, or wait and get a new one. I've read boiling with tea leaves removes some rust, although I don't see how that's possible. I've also read a little rust is OK, but how much is a little? Also, is it OK to use a gas stove top diffuser until I get an electric device? The tet is 7.5" X 8" including handle so a nice size.
Your tetsubin rust is not so bad. In fact much better than I ever seen and do.
My Solution is1:
1. Boil with tea leaf(preferbly thrown green tea) for at least 30 min
2. Boil with lemon water (just cut and throw the whole lemon) say 60 min
3. Boil with washed rice water
4. Continue Boil with mineral/hard water until the water is clear.

I have done the step 4 in 3 days the white patina already start building up under water 80-90ppm.

The above are my experience and hope it will work for you as well.
Thank you I will try this. Do you boil the tetsubin submerged inside another bigger pan with tea? Or just boil tea inside the tetsubin?

Jun 18th, '17, 13:36

by CWarren » Jun 18th, '17, 13:36

victoria3 wrote: Thanks for all your replies, really appreciate it. I wanted a heating device for ceramics and iron so infrared seems like the way to go. After looking around I saw a nice 4.5" infrared on aliexpress but didn't want to deal with a 220v-120v converter, plus not so easy return issues and extra shipping to USA.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.rjp0Gw
IMG_1579.JPG
The Cusimax 120v infrared available in the USA right now is huge at 15.3"X13"x4.7", so I ended up with an infrared that is the size of an iPad Pro, 11.8"x 8.9"x 3.5" Kalorik Stainless Steel Infrared Single Ceramic Cooking Plate that I can easily returned locally if there is an issue with the device. Not perfect but well...convenient for the moment. I should probably drive to little Tokio in LA to see if any smaller units are available locally.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... d=60842305
IMG_1578.JPG
Awesome purchase and looks just like the cusimax I was recommending. :lol:
IMG_8097.PNG
IMG_8097.PNG (69.43 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
Hope you enjoy it!

Jun 18th, '17, 13:42

by victoria3 » Jun 18th, '17, 13:42

CWarren wrote: Awesome purchase and looks just like the cusimax I was recommending. :lol:

Hope you enjoy it!
:D That one wasn't available .. it seems a plethora of companies copy each other these days.

Jun 18th, '17, 14:03

by CWarren » Jun 18th, '17, 14:03

victoria3 wrote:
CWarren wrote: Awesome purchase and looks just like the cusimax I was recommending. :lol:

Hope you enjoy it!
:D That one wasn't available .. it seems a plethora of companies copy each other these days.
To be honest I actually like the one you ordered better because I prefer the stainless over the black plastic material and it's half the cost of the cusimax. Cusimax has another stainless model too with the same size plate diameter as yours and around the same price but the unit itself is bigger.

I'd actually consider buying the one you did too over the cusimax in black because of material and cost. You're right about companies copying each other. There are at least five companies I've seen with that exact looking model but few in real stainless, (usually fake stainless look). Like Jay said, good find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 23rd, '17, 14:34

by CWarren » Jun 23rd, '17, 14:34

Ended up buying that Kalorik too. Great price and material. Thanks Victoria for the tip. Glad the cusimax wasn't available. 🤣

Jun 23rd, '17, 15:16

by victoria3 » Jun 23rd, '17, 15:16

CWarren wrote: Ended up buying that Kalorik too. Great price and material. Thanks Victoria for the tip. Glad the cusimax wasn't available. 🤣
Excelente mine is still in transit, but I did get the tetsubin which is very nice indeed. Will post pictures pre- post tea cleaning etc. Oh wait I just got the infrared heater, it is a little big, but I can now begin water experiments.
Attachments
IMG_1622.JPG
IMG_1622.JPG (34.71 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

Jun 23rd, '17, 16:11

by CWarren » Jun 23rd, '17, 16:11

victoria3 wrote:
CWarren wrote: Ended up buying that Kalorik too. Great price and material. Thanks Victoria for the tip. Glad the cusimax wasn't available. 🤣
Excelente mine is still in transit, but I did get the tetsubin which is very nice indeed. Will post pictures pre- post tea cleaning etc. Oh wait I just got the infrared heater, it is a little big, but I can now begin water experiments.
Looks awesome! Congrats! :)

Jun 23rd, '17, 21:43

by victoria3 » Jun 23rd, '17, 21:43

Oh wow, I'm impressed how smooth the ceramic kettle makes the water taste, very nice for oolongs. I friend came over and we tried it on a Muzha he drinks daily. Definitely smoothed out the high notes, so it will be interesting to pair this kettle with other oolongs. My water journey has begun :D

The infrared unit does get very hot so had to move stuff out of the way. It shuts off when temp is reached and restarts to keep the kettle at selected heat setting. A good boil was reached and maintained. Very nice.

Jun 24th, '17, 11:34
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 24th, '17, 11:34

victoria3 wrote:
The infrared unit does get very hot so had to move stuff out of the way. It shuts off when temp is reached and restarts to keep the kettle at selected heat setting. A good boil was reached and maintained. Very nice.
I don't understand how the heating element knows how hot water is inside a kettle. If I heard an explanation, I would still be unable to comprehend how this works. I'm happy with my bonavita kettle for the USA but might look at one of these for when I am in Thailand where the cheap appliances we have been using in our hotel rooms have become difficult.

Jun 24th, '17, 12:21

by victoria3 » Jun 24th, '17, 12:21

ethan wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
I don't understand how the heating element knows how hot water is inside a kettle. If I heard an explanation, I would still be unable to comprehend how this works. I'm happy with my bonavita kettle for the USA but might look at one of these for when I am in Thailand where the cheap appliances we have been using in our hotel rooms have become difficult.
Ethan not sure of technical details but I believe the infrared's heating element responds to temperature of flat surface in contact with cooking plate. I will use Bonavita kettle to fill the ceramic or tetsubin with prewarmed water to speed up the process.

Jun 24th, '17, 15:07

Tetsubin old rusty?

by CWarren » Jun 24th, '17, 15:07

ethan wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
Most of these units don't have temperature settings but instead just min/max knobs. This means it is just staying at whatever temp the cooktop is set for, min, medium, max, etc. It basically comes down to the user getting to know what knob setting is best with each kettle and how fast each reaches boil or maintains a warmth of water in the kettle.

Edit: If you were to think of it like an electric stove where you turn the knob to a set place and then the coil heats up/turns red to get to the knob setting you chose. Once it hits that temp it starts to cool down/red fades until it's too cool and begins to heat up again to maintain the knob setting once more. It's up to the person to know what best knob setting to choose for what they are trying to cook and what cookware they are using. Same with this infrared and kettles and water.

Jun 24th, '17, 15:24
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 24th, '17, 15:24

Thanks, everyone. I understand now.

Aug 25th, '17, 20:32

by CWarren » Aug 25th, '17, 20:32

victoria3 wrote:

Mine just died about a week ago. BB&B is sending a replacement. Hope it lasts longer than two months this time. Grin

Aug 26th, '17, 12:26

by victoria3 » Aug 26th, '17, 12:26

CWarren wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
Mine just died about a week ago. BB&B is sending a replacement. Hope it lasts longer than two months this time. Grin
Oh drag, although good thing BB&B will replace even without receipt :D

+ Post Reply