Apr 15th, '18, 17:22

Iwachu Kettle and rust...

by vk2109 » Apr 15th, '18, 17:22

Hello i bought this iwachu kettle recently
iwachu.jpg
iwachu.jpg (54.97 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
and i am seeing those kind of rusty spots and even some holes...is that ok ?
I have tried boiled green tea leaves and then leaving the water and leaves for several hours but don't see differences...how long do i have to leave it ?
IMG_4347.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG (283.81 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
IMG_4378.jpg
IMG_4378.jpg (122.1 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
Also do you think I should have gotten another more handmade one like Kunzan selling for $300 ?
as this looks more mass production but still Iwachu Nambu Tekki

Many Many Thanks

Vadim

Jun 11th, '18, 12:58

Re: Iwachu Kettle and rust...

by teapotluck » Jun 11th, '18, 12:58

vk2109 wrote: Hello i bought this iwachu kettle recently and i am seeing those kind of rusty spots and even some holes...is that ok ?
I have tried boiled green tea leaves and then leaving the water and leaves for several hours but don't see differences...how long do i have to leave it ?

Also do you think I should have gotten another more handmade one like Kunzan selling for $300 ?

Many Many Thanks

Vadim
Hi Vadim,
I bought what I think is an Iwachu kettle at an antique shop two weeks ago. So I'm a newbie who has been obsessed with this subject. Your kettle doesn't look as rusty as mine. All that I've read indicates that rust and tetsubins go hand in hand. The holes might be an indication that your kettle IS at least partially handmade. These holes are apparently plugged by urushi (sp?) which is a naturally occurring sap.

My most successful attempt at rust removal involved placing dry inexpensive tea in the pot and pouring enough Coca Cola to dampen the tea. My husband says Pepsi has even more phosphoric acid and would have been more effective. Apparently the tannins in tea are useful in restoring rusted objects, and phosphoric acid boosts the process.

Jun 11th, '18, 16:17

Re: Iwachu Kettle and rust...

by Puerh3 » Jun 11th, '18, 16:17

teapotluck wrote:
vk2109 wrote: Hello i bought this iwachu kettle recently and i am seeing those kind of rusty spots and even some holes...is that ok ?

Many Many Thanks

Vadim
Hi Vadim,
I bought what I think is an Iwachu kettle at an antique shop two weeks ago. So I'm a newbie who has been obsessed with this subject. Your kettle doesn't look as rusty as mine. All that I've read indicates that rust and tetsubins go hand in hand. The holes might be an indication that your kettle IS at least partially handmade. These holes are apparently plugged by urushi (sp?) which is a naturally occurring sap.

My most successful attempt at rust removal involved placing dry inexpensive tea in the pot and pouring enough Coca Cola to dampen the tea. My husband says Pepsi has even more phosphoric acid and would have been more effective. Apparently the tannins in tea are useful in restoring rusted objects, and phosphoric acid boosts the process.
Hi!

Do not touch the rust, let it be!

Cheers!

+ Post Reply