Aug 17th, '15, 00:22

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by chamekke » Aug 17th, '15, 00:22

Congratulations, Fabien! It's lovely.

Aug 17th, '15, 11:51

by kyarazen » Aug 17th, '15, 11:51

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:I have a question.
I'm noticing most posts here use tetsubin...but not many clay kettles!
For those that have both clay and tetsubin, do you really notice a difference? I only use clay kettles at the moment, but I'm definitely willing to learn. 8)
i've pretty much drifted into using tetsubin (both kunzan and suzuki) and then am back into using clay kettles.

the difference is drastic and quite significant. if you brew some green tea or simply any tea with tetsubin boiled water, leave the tea in a cup for a few hours, you will return to see a really significantly darkened, sometimes even dark brown, blackish liquid in the cup.. this is due to the iron in the water reacting with tea pigments.

doesnt happen so much for clay kettles, unless you use a toko shudei pot to boil water, or some other clays that have high iron content.

olfactorily iron seem to give good heightening/intensitification/sharpening of aromas, but one has to watch the after taste which can become rough or at worse, metallic.

Aug 18th, '15, 15:09

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 18th, '15, 15:09

kyarazen wrote:
bryan_drinks_tea wrote:I have a question.
I'm noticing most posts here use tetsubin...but not many clay kettles!
For those that have both clay and tetsubin, do you really notice a difference? I only use clay kettles at the moment, but I'm definitely willing to learn. 8)
i've pretty much drifted into using tetsubin (both kunzan and suzuki) and then am back into using clay kettles.

the difference is drastic and quite significant. if you brew some green tea or simply any tea with tetsubin boiled water, leave the tea in a cup for a few hours, you will return to see a really significantly darkened, sometimes even dark brown, blackish liquid in the cup.. this is due to the iron in the water reacting with tea pigments.

doesnt happen so much for clay kettles, unless you use a toko shudei pot to boil water, or some other clays that have high iron content.

olfactorily iron seem to give good heightening/intensitification/sharpening of aromas, but one has to watch the after taste which can become rough or at worse, metallic.
Very cool, and good to know. Thank you. :)

Oct 7th, '15, 07:03

by miig » Oct 7th, '15, 07:03

blairswhitaker wrote: Most of these kettle have one or two small urushi plugs in the base, the casting method leaves one or two small holes in the kettle and then these are filled with a mixture of iron sand and urushi. not all are built this way but most. This stuff does not deal well with being exposed to raw flame, but it can last for a very long time over electric or charcoal flame, though it quickly degrades if places on the heating source while the kettle is empty.
I still wonder about this... Urushi is basically a resin from a certain tree, right? How is it possible that this will withstand the hot temperatures of the kettle on charcoal fire?

I searched for some footage showing the production process, but the bottom hole part seems to be absend every time :)
The mold is opnened, no hole left... has it been sealed alredy? The spot in the center is brighter than the rest.
Bottom is seen at 1min59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U50ItP0gvf8

same thing here at 28sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plxZNrGw9DQ

one more time, 9min 50sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m2phhMAJIY

Oct 7th, '15, 09:41

by kyarazen » Oct 7th, '15, 09:41

urushi can stand high temperatures. i had an acquaintance in france whom repaired a broken pot with raw urushi and it worked well on flame after that. but still over time it will break down.. :) if urushi is well cured, it is so hard that metal cannot scratch it.

and yes.. tetsubins often have 2 urushi plugs at the base.. it is urushi + metal filings.
miig wrote:
I still wonder about this... Urushi is basically a resin from a certain tree, right? How is it possible that this will withstand the hot temperatures of the kettle on charcoal fire?

I searched for some footage showing the production process, but the bottom hole part seems to be absend every time :)
The mold is opnened, no hole left... has it been sealed alredy? The spot in the center is brighter than the rest.
Bottom is seen at 1min59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U50ItP0gvf8

same thing here at 28sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plxZNrGw9DQ

one more time, 9min 50sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m2phhMAJIY

Oct 7th, '15, 10:32

by miig » Oct 7th, '15, 10:32

Thanks for the reply - great material, both your info and Urushi itself :mrgreen:

I may have found a video which shows the process - please see from 4.20 on - is he sealing the pinhole?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8vhl8aj8JQ

Oct 17th, '15, 12:33

by miig » Oct 17th, '15, 12:33

Got my first real Tetsubin yesterday. Very happy I am about this. Its really so very - imposing, sturdy, massive, imposing and, well.. just so incredibly Japanese :) :) :)
Tetsu1a.jpg
Tetsu1a.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

Tetsu1b.jpg
Tetsu1b.jpg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
Last edited by miig on Oct 17th, '15, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 17th, '15, 14:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Oct 17th, '15, 14:39

Beautiful piece! :D

Oct 20th, '15, 03:37

by Tead Off » Oct 20th, '15, 03:37

Enjoy it! :D

Oct 20th, '15, 07:49

by miig » Oct 20th, '15, 07:49

Thank you, I am!
Really a great addition :D

Oct 22nd, '15, 10:27

by Tsubo » Oct 22nd, '15, 10:27

miig wrote:Got my first real Tetsubin yesterday. Very happy I am about this.
Nice item indeed ... take care, it's the beginning of the end ... :lol:
DSC05407.JPG
DSC05407.JPG (40.17 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Oct 22nd, '15, 11:34

by miig » Oct 22nd, '15, 11:34

hahaha, great Photo!
I'll do what I can to avoid that, but there are so many nice things on these auction platforms :roll:

Oct 22nd, '15, 11:37

by debunix » Oct 22nd, '15, 11:37

miig wrote:Got my first real Tetsubin yesterday. Very happy I am about this. Its really so very - imposing, sturdy, massive, imposing and, well.. just so incredibly Japanese :) :) :)
I missed this post when it first appeared, and am quite glad I clicked on the comments about it. Your kettle is simply gorgeous. Enjoy it!

Oct 22nd, '15, 14:12

by kuánglóng » Oct 22nd, '15, 14:12

A heavy beauty - congrats!

Oct 22nd, '15, 14:52

by .m. » Oct 22nd, '15, 14:52

Tsubo wrote:
miig wrote:Got my first real Tetsubin yesterday. Very happy I am about this.
Nice item indeed ... take care, it's the beginning of the end ... :lol:
DSC05407.JPG
Wow, such a nice collection Tsubo. Love that little nambu on the left.

+ Post Reply