Jul 10th, '09, 17:14

Tetsubin: Outside rust prevention. Tips?

by Cha no yu » Jul 10th, '09, 17:14

Hello people,

I'm considering to buy a tetsubin, because the tea stays much longer warm (that's what I read everywhere). Often the inside is enameled, for rust-prevention. But how do you prevent the outside for rust? Wipe the in- and outside with a dry towel, when the tetsubin is still warm, that's what I've read. But that seems not enough to me, for a period of years.
With my cast-iron grillpan (Ronneby Bruk; non-enameled) it's easy: After every use I put some olive oil on a cloth, and I polish the pan, and heat it at my stove. So, I thought I can do the same with the outside of the tetsubin. But I've read I can't do that, because the inside enamel will crack.

Another question: Are there also tetsubin's which are enameled at in- and outside, just like Le Creuset pans? And if not, why is that?

Allready thanks for the answers. :wink:

Greets, Marco

P.S. Porcelain is maby also interesting to me.

Jul 10th, '09, 17:37

by betta » Jul 10th, '09, 17:37

Welcome on board, Marco.
I had one enamelled tetsubin from Iwachu, which is suitable only for brewing tea but not for boiling water. The outer side of the tetsubin is painted with food grade paint, which should be sufficient to prevent it from rust for years. However there're parts which could be vulnerable, i.e. the join between the tetsubin handle and the tetsubin body, where friction tends to exfoliate the paint. There I applied sufficient olive oil and there's no rust issue.

Jul 10th, '09, 18:44

by Cha no yu » Jul 10th, '09, 18:44

Thanks for your answer. But I understand not every Iwachu Tetsubin is painted like that? With Google I found this site. As the Tetsubin's glance, they seem to have a finnish.
Or do you have a better website?
Btw, do I have to google for 'Tetsubin Iwachu finish'?

Jul 10th, '09, 19:16

by clareandromeda » Jul 10th, '09, 19:16

I was considering buying a tetsubin but I learned they should not be used on my gas stove. I got some good info from

http://artisticnippon.com/product/iwachu/tetsubin.html

http://hojotea.com/categ_e/tetsubin.htm

Jul 10th, '09, 21:27

by Smells_Familiar » Jul 10th, '09, 21:27

food grade mineral oil would work decently. it won't impart any off taste and doesn't oxidize.

Jul 10th, '09, 21:44

by wyardley » Jul 10th, '09, 21:44

I would avoid using one of those enameled (inside) iron things to make tea in the first place.

Jul 11th, '09, 02:05

by betta » Jul 11th, '09, 02:05

Cha no yu wrote:Thanks for your answer. But I understand not every Iwachu Tetsubin is painted like that? With Google I found this site. As the Tetsubin's glance, they seem to have a finnish.
Or do you have a better website?
Btw, do I have to google for 'Tetsubin Iwachu finish'?
If I wasn't wrong, those enamelled tetsubin from iwachu are painted. The unenamelled ones used to boil water, they are most likely not painted at all.
Clearandromeda has pointed very good websites for these things, just have a look.
wyardley wrote:I would avoid using one of those enameled (inside) iron things to make tea in the first place.
My initial intention of using the enamelled one is to brew gyokuro in my office. I was convinced by iwachu as they always have high standard. I must admit that I couldn't enjoy tea very much at work, maybe due to the stress, therefore I re-sell it again. So I can't testify whether enamelled tetsubin is good or not.

Jul 16th, '09, 23:30

by MisterPanda » Jul 16th, '09, 23:30

The iwachu paint should be enough to keep exterior rust from being a problem. However one tip is to follow the instructions included with the Iwachu products which includes specifically:

Wipe the exterior of pot with dry cloth while it is still warm/hot from the washing water.

It didn't explain why, but i think its obvious that if you wipe off the majority of the water with a towel, the heat from the pot would help the rest of the water quickly evaporate. This will keep that rust off!

Jul 17th, '09, 16:35

by Cha no yu » Jul 17th, '09, 16:35

clareandromeda wrote:I was considering buying a tetsubin but I learned they should not be used on my gas stove. I got some good info from

http://artisticnippon.com/product/iwachu/tetsubin.html

http://hojotea.com/categ_e/tetsubin.htm
Good info!
Thanks also for the other answers.

For this moment I decided to wait for maby a half year with ordering a tetsubin, as I'm just starting with drinking tea.
But still; It was important to me, to get my question clear. It's clear now. :wink:

+ Post Reply