Apr 7th, '10, 02:49

Searching for tea pot

by keldy » Apr 7th, '10, 02:49

I recently purchased a cast iron tea pot from Teavana, ($129.00) but when it arrived, the color was not as pictured on their website, so I am returning it. Does anyone else use cast iron tea pots & have a recommendation on where else I might look? I didn't see another one that I liked (which was in my price range) on Teavana's site.

Apr 7th, '10, 03:02
Vendor Member

Re: searching for tea pot

by IPT » Apr 7th, '10, 03:02

I'd recommend the artistic nippon site. They have some incredible things. Oh, if only I was rich! :cry:

Apr 7th, '10, 03:49
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: searching for tea pot

by Geekgirl » Apr 7th, '10, 03:49

Yeah, there are some nice pots there. Also, if you're anywhere near an Uwajimaya market, I would recommend trying there.

Apr 7th, '10, 11:15

Re: Searching for tea pot

by Chip » Apr 7th, '10, 11:15

Why a tetsubin (cast iron)? And for what teas?

It is common for someone to buy one, pay a lot for it, then realize later there are much better pots to brew tea, that are generally cheaper as well, for instance a Kyusu for Japanese greens.

(myself included, I have 3 expensive tetsubins, that look fantastic on display shelves, but serve no other purpose ... I keep saying I really need to use them for the sake of using them ... but they are oversized and not easy to brew with :oops: )

Apr 7th, '10, 11:38
Vendor Member

by IPT » Apr 7th, '10, 11:38

Tetsubins are generally used just to heat water. The iron in the pot works with the water to improve it tremendously. I have a couple of old ones and although I don't use them too often, when I do, I can really tell the difference in the water quality. I should really use them more. In fact I think I'm going to heat one up now.

Apr 7th, '10, 11:43

by AdamMY » Apr 7th, '10, 11:43

IPT wrote:Tetsubins are generally used just to heat water. The iron in the pot works with the water to improve it tremendously. I have a couple of old ones and although I don't use them too often, when I do, I can really tell the difference in the water quality. I should really use them more. In fact I think I'm going to heat one up now.
IPT sadly there is great confusion as to what is a Tetsubin and what isn't in the West, as two very different use items are given the same name. There are the ones that have a ceramic coating on the inside which are typically not meant to be used to heat water, and I am not sure why would would want to heat water in them even if they can be used for that, as you are missing the bonus of the interaction of the water with the Iron.

Second are what is traditionally a Tetsubin, a cast iron kettle, which is meant to boil water in it.

The first, like Chip said, Look great on a shelf, but are brew tea efficiently and effectively, and sadly thats all they are really good for since they have the inner ceramic coating.

The second are great, and if you are serious about tea will last you a long time provided you care for it correctly.

Apr 7th, '10, 11:46
Vendor Member

by IPT » Apr 7th, '10, 11:46

AdamMY wrote:IPT sadly there is great confusion as to what is a Tetsubin and what isn't in the West, as two very different use items are given the same name. There are the ones that have a ceramic coating on the inside which are typically not meant to be used to heat water, and I am not sure why would would want to heat water in them even if they can be used for that, as you are missing the bonus of the interaction of the water with the Iron.

Second are what is traditionally a Tetsubin, a cast iron kettle, which is meant to boil water in it.

The first, like Chip said, Look great on a shelf, but are brew tea efficiently and effectively, and sadly thats all they are really good for since they have the inner ceramic coating.

The second are great, and if you are serious about tea will last you a long time provided you care for it correctly.
You are absolutely right. I wasn't thinking about the coated ones.

Sorry, my mistake.

Apr 7th, '10, 12:36

by Chip » Apr 7th, '10, 12:36

... and Teavana's are the lined type ... and overpriced.

Apr 7th, '10, 12:38

by Geekgirl » Apr 7th, '10, 12:38

I have a small <16oz tetsubin (the lined type,) that I use semi-frequently for brewing, especially any tea that has fruit or flower pieces in. It works great, keeps the tea warm for a long time if it's preheated, and is very easy to clean.

I know a lot of the tea purists around here like to knock that kind of teapot, but I think they're GREAT for anyone who doesn't wish to do small brewing like gong-fuish, or using specialty teaware like kyusu or gaiwan. I like it better than my Perfect Teamaker and my coffee press, which are also in use around here (used my coffee press this morning to make some jasmine tea because I was in a hurry and wanted a big cup.)

The only teapot that just sits on a shelf is a large porcelain pot that I can't get under the zoji spout, and that I can't clean very well if I use it to brew.

Tetsubins are quite useful for many people. That being said, be sure to look for quality. Iwachu makes a quality tetsubin, and the brand may help you to narrow your search. I don't recommend Teavana, even though they do sell the higher quality ones, they have quite a few of the low-quality look alike pots, and those may peel inside. Yuck.

Apr 7th, '10, 12:44

by Chip » Apr 7th, '10, 12:44

I actually use a small cheeeepie tetsubin for genmaicha and similar ... things that won't get messed up by sitting in water that REMAINS toooo hot. And as Geek mentioned, it is peeling.

I 2nd the Iwachu, two beauties here, they are really spectacular, but alas an early mistake in teaware buying, toooo BIG. Vendors like to sell BIG pots.

I use the metal infusers from these a lot, for straining and one for sifting matcha, so, technically, they get some use. :shock:

Apr 9th, '10, 23:42

by chef07172 » Apr 9th, '10, 23:42

I love using a cast iron tea pot. I have had many in the past and currently have a 28oz pot. I drink a lot of tea when I do and this pot fills my cup twice. I have used many different types of tea pots but keep going back to the cast iron ones because I like their feel and that they keep the tea warm.
I agree that the teavana are way overpriced. YOu get pretty much the same quality as a cheaper 30-50.00 pot.

+ Post Reply