Aug 24th, '12, 17:10

Antique Tetsubin- Mild Rust and Fir

by Kevsgrl » Aug 24th, '12, 17:10

Hello Everyone- I have stumbled across an antique tetsubin that I am interested in. The description says that is has mild rust and fir on the inside- as this piece is about 70 years old. I've read some threads here that say the rust and fir are okay and won't hurt me. However, as I have no idea the history of this kettle- is there a way that the rust and fir can be safely removed so that I can build my own? :) Thanks!

Aug 24th, '12, 17:27

Re: Antique Tetsubin- Mild Rust and Fir

by Poohblah » Aug 24th, '12, 17:27

From Hojo's page about tetsubin, about 90% of the way down the page:
If accidentally keeps water inside the tetsubin for more than a day, the tetsubin will partially get rusted. However never try to remove it with physical strength, scrub it or wash it with detergent. If rust appears inside the tetsubin, place some green tea or green oolong tea leaves and boil for a while, switch off the heater, let it naturally cools down and leave it for a few hours. Thanks to the antioxidant from tea leaves, the rusted part will be reduced and color will turns dark. If rust appears on external surface or cap, heat up the tetsubin, and then apply tea on its surface. You can soak a piece of cloth with tea, lightly squeezed out excessive water before apply it on the hot surface of tetsubin. Repeat it over and over again as it instantly evaporates tea.

Aug 25th, '12, 07:52

by tkellyd » Aug 25th, '12, 07:52

Hi Kevsgrl:

My motto is: if you are going to use it, wash it. I have done so in the past; it will not kill the pot. I don't know about you, but 70 years worth of dirt, and that may have been sitting in a dealer's store for who knows how long, is more than I can handle.

Best,

- T

Aug 25th, '12, 08:05

by tkellyd » Aug 25th, '12, 08:05

Hi Kevsgrl:

Sorry! I didn't address your question. What I do to clean my antique tetsubin that I plan to use, is scrape/chisel the inside with a plastic kitchen scraper, the one with the scraper and brush (mine is an OXO brand). I usually do this over time depending on the amount of rust and fir. Don't forget to put water in the pot and bring to a roiling boil, pour out, and be sure that the water evaporates.

To blacken the pot, boil water and green tea leaves (use the cheap stuff) in the pot. Mop the outside of the pot and handle with paper towels (use tongs to hold) soaked in the tea to cover the rust. Pour off the tea water when you are finished. Allow to evaporate.

Best,

- T

Aug 26th, '12, 11:54

by Kevsgrl » Aug 26th, '12, 11:54

Thank you both so much for the reply and information. I'm leaning toward a new tetsubin from Artistic Nippon- a bit more expensive but I like knowing exactly where it has come from and who has used it (me). Thanks again!

+ Post Reply